Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bad breastmilk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289569)

Hopper Graphics 12-14-2007 09:08 PM

Bad breastmilk?

I am completely stopped up and can't smell anything. My dad came and watched the baby while I got some Christmas presents made/labeled/wrapped and the house picked up, and I sent him with some milk I had pumped on Tuesday.

I was going to put the rest in the freezer...opened up the bottles ready to pour in, and the smell nearly knocked me over. Smelled like rotten eggs. I called my dad and she had already eaten a bottle...

It was the same batch. I don't know how it got bad in that time frame...I did what I always do, and it's never like that. When my mom brought her in, she said her tummy felt really hard.

Did I poison my baby? She seems ok...what do I do? We've poured out everything I pumped Tuesday (:cry:). Thank goodness I have about 100oz in the freezer... but still!

Calideedle 12-14-2007 09:31 PM

Re: Bad breastmilk?

Has the milk been in the freezer? Fridge? Counter? Since Tuesday.

anabellee 12-14-2007 09:35 PM

for some reason, when i freeze my milk it goes bad. even if done properly in a deep freeze. in the fridge milk can last for 8 days, 10 hours at room temp. :thumbsup:

Hopper Graphics 12-14-2007 09:46 PM

On school days, I take a small cooler with me and put all pumped milk in it until I can get it home and into the fridge or freezer. I try and put it straight in the freezer, but it went in the fridge from Tues - today.

ThatLinGirl 12-14-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anabellee (Post 2319318)
for some reason, when i freeze my milk it goes bad. even if done properly in a deep freeze. in the fridge milk can last for 8 days, 10 hours at room temp. :thumbsup:

Have you looked into excess lipease? That's what your situation sounds like to me.

To the OP, if you've given her frozen milk before without the smell, I'm stumped unless it was a storage issue.

Hopper Graphics 12-14-2007 09:51 PM

I am totally clueless as well. I have given her thawed milk several times with no smell.

Is she going to be ok?

mama2cody 12-14-2007 10:01 PM

Sounds like you could have a lot of liapse (I think that's how it's spelled) in your milk. That can make your milk seem bad really fast. We were just talking about this at my breastfeeding moms group yesterday. It sucks too, cuz you don't really know how long your milk will last.

jeniperlyn 12-14-2007 10:12 PM

My milk would only ever last a day in the fridge. If i pumped i would put it directly in the freezer. If it was left in the fridge for more then a day i would shake it and test it myself before giving it to my son or freezing it, it should taste sweet not sour.

Your baby should be fine, you didn't mention her being fussy or anything. You just know now that you might have a problem with storing in the fridge.

mengmommy 12-14-2007 11:15 PM

I was thinking lipase too. I always thought my pumped milk smelled gag-worthy...but the couple I donated to said it smelled and tasted fine and their dd never had a problem with it. I think the longest I had it in the fridge was 3 or 4 days...but usually it was frozen-for up to a month (they went through it fast).

Griffinsmom 12-15-2007 12:27 AM

Could the bottle that she had have been different from the sour ones and actually been fine? I have a hard time imagining that she would have willingly drank sour milk. I once gave Griffin a bottle and he spat it out so fast and screwed up his face like crazy- I went to smell it and almost fell over. It was totally sour. It hadn't been in the fridge longer than a week and it had never happened to me before, so I'm not sure what happened that time. Now anything I'm not going to feed that day goes straight into the freezer.
I'm sure she'll be fine even if it was a bit off.