Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   C-section~keloid scars!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29040)

ashleynjacy 08-07-2006 06:57 PM

C-section~keloid scars!!!!

I had Jacy 6 months ago via c-section. I don't want to have another c-section. Whenever I have a cut or anything my skin builds extra scar tissue. My c-section scars are ugly and look like a small mountain range...lol. :blush: I don't have to get steroids shot into my scars (my uncle does). I still get some pains in that area.
Anyway, should I shoot for a VBAC on my next child? Will the keloid affect the amount of c-sections I can have? How long should I wait before trying for baby #2?:headscratch:
I have looked all over the net for info on this. Any advice would be great!!!

Bridym 08-07-2006 09:10 PM

Re: C-section~keloid scars!!!!

I am not sure I have the answers for your questions since I have not experianced what you have been through. My scar healed fine, took a while to look normal but it looks okay now.
I have heard that for the best chances of VBAC you should wait at least 18-24months before getting pg again.
But I am sure there are women who have been pg sooner and had a successful VBAC.

Marielblewis 08-08-2006 10:40 AM

My scar healed so that you can't even see it anymore. I have to strech the skin to see it, and then it is only a faint line. I hope it heals as well the next time. Do keloid scars form on the inside as well as on the skin? If so you might have problems, but if they are only onthe skin I would gues it is mostly a cosmetic issue - not something that would affect more C-sections. You should definately ask a Dr. to be sure.

kkweight 08-08-2006 12:03 PM

After having a csection its best to wait at least 1 year to 18 months before concieving another child.
you can also strengthen your scar by drinking red Raspberry Leaf Tea.
Also, when you have a csection your scar tissue can build and you can have adhesions. So when you are comfortable to to do so use some massage oil or vit E lotion and shape your hand like a "C" shape and with the ends of your fingers gently rub up and down on your insicion site. Do it a little harder as you can tolerate it. This will break up the tissues and the adhesions and will help make that skin heal.
I had a severe infection in my insicion site and so it goes from hip to hip and did this and so much emotional stuff came out and i was able to move on from it. also, my insicion looks so much better then when i first started, i have little to no more pain and this was almost 4 years ago.
It does help alot.
HTH

SugarBunsWool&More 08-08-2006 12:05 PM

I got a keloid after my c/s and the Dr. says when/if I do another c/s she can cut it out. I got mine from an allergic reaction to the suture they used, but it sounds like yours are genetic.
I say go for that VBAC!

jls~Kain~Drake 08-08-2006 06:03 PM

My friend has now had 2 c/s (both were attempted vaginal births with 'failure to progress' or, in her case, 'impatient doctor')...her 2nd was conceived when #1 was about 12mo and her 3rd was conceived..well, she's due 10 days after the 2nd childs 1st bday. She's going to attempt a VBA2C. Anyway, I don't have any advice/experience re: keloid scarring and c/sections....but that's how quickly she conceived and her experience with c/s's. I do have keloid scarring, but no c-sections.

ashleynjacy 08-08-2006 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I will def. start massaging it, although it makes me feel sick because it is numb. Does anyone else have numbness in the area and lower stomach from c-section?

jennyofthemoon 08-09-2006 05:22 AM

Keloids.....you poor thing :( I'm not laughing at you, just thinking of my sis...my sister gets very bad keloids..she's had some issues with pre-cancerous moles that have had to be removed, and the keloids are worse than the moles were. SHe is just one of those people who gets them :(

She actually did a bunch of reserach on it and the first removal, and keloids cannot be "got" by anything..aome poeple get them some don't. It tends to be geneteic, but it also has a lot to do with your particular skin integrity, and you CAN improve the chance that they will not be so bad looking, but they don't go away. As for other c/s's..they will simply cut out the ""bumpy" parts..in most cases they remove the entire old extrior scar anyway, as scar tissue doesn't suture as nicely as "normal" skin.

For your numbness..yes, that is normal. When they open you up, they cut through everything there, including nerves. ALOT of your "stuff" is pulled right outside your body no to be in theway, and they aren't always exact when they put stuff back in. It can take quite a while before things heal up and everything gets back in place. The numbness or tingly feeling is usually from frayed nerves, and may or may fix itself. Most tims it does, though...but can take a couple years. My last c/s was almost 4 years ago, and i still have numbness in the 1 inch area above my insicion line.....that will probably never get feeling again. ALOT of that depends on how good your surgeon was at putting eveyrhting back where it belongs, and also how happy your body is to try to mak eveyrthing as it was. Seems like some bodies just dont' care..even though the people living inside them do :)

ashleynjacy 08-09-2006 07:20 AM

It is funny because my doctor is not exactly the most gentle person in the world. Matter of fact, when I was pregnant I kept having these aweful pains (worse than labor) in my upper stomach going all the way around to my back. The doc kept telling me it was gas. I was thinking that there was no way in heck it was just gas. Two weeks after I had my daughter via c-section I went to the hospital and had to have my gallbladder removed! The same thing happened to my mom after she had my youngest sister. The doctor was soooo wrong. I wouldn't have had surgery when I was pregnant but at least I would have had support. I had attacks at least once a day in my last trimester:cry: It was crazy!
My point....lol...is that the doctor who took out my gallbladder said my scars would fade...lol!
They are so yucky! They look like huge moles. :yuck:
I hate to complain because there are so many worse things...!!!