Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   **Update**Is this normal...warning long, sorry (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291669)

whippoorwill 12-18-2007 04:39 PM

**Update**Is this normal...warning long, sorry

Hey everyone,
I am trying to determine if my 2 week old son's nursing habits are normal for his age. He feeds constantly. There will be times during the day he feeds for hours (or at least wants to nurse for hours). He goes longer between feedings at night, about 3 hours. During the day though he usually feeds about every hour. The hard part is is it takes him ~40 minutes or so to finish so by the time the diaper gets changed he is at it again. Is this normal? Does there get to be a more predictable eating schedule? He has a pedi appt tomorrow so I am going to talk to her and possibly the LC at the hospital where I delivered. I have watched the videos on kellymom and it looks like the latch is good and he seems to be swallowing alot, but he can't fit that much food in his little belly can he?! Sorry this is so long...

Update: Thanks again everyone. Our pedi is very breastfeeding supportive, she even does support groups with an LC. She examined him today and referred us to a ped ENT to look at his frenulum. She thinks he isn't severly tongue tied (she talks about a scale of 1-4 the LC uses, but she didn't know where he would fall), but she thinks he may not be able to nurse efficiently right now. So, we will see what the ENT says...

Calideedle 12-18-2007 04:46 PM

Re: Is this normal...warning long, sorry

He is growing and needs to eat. That sounds very normal.

ETA: Breastmilk is SOOOO easy for babies to digest so I wouldnt worry about it and nurse him on demand!

nmb 12-18-2007 05:07 PM

Not only normal but to be expected! They usually have their two big growth spurts at around 3 wks and 6 wks, and beforehand will start nursing a lot to increase your supply (and remember each baby is unique, some will go earlier or later at EVERYthing, incl growing). Expect the near constant nursing to continue through the growth spurt, at the end of it your LO's tummy will be able to hold more than it now does and he'll need less at the same time, so you'll get a break again. (another growth spurt around 3 mos, but I didn't run into the constant nursing w/ that one, he was too busy learning by then)

It DOES seem like you do nothing but nurse round the clock when they're tiny, but yes, it'll let up & you'll settle into a routine that's right for you & DS as he grows. I was told at that point that it takes about 6 weeks for you to get into a good comfortable routine & become a "nursing couple" - but for me it was more like 4 wks when we "got it together".

Remember that your baby's biggest mission in life is to grow right now; for a couple more weeks at least, he's only going to wake up because he's hungry; eating, sleeping & messing his diaper are about all he's going to do, w/ the emphasis on eating & sleeping.

I agree w/ the PP, let him nurse when he wants & how long for now, otherwise you could interfere w/ your supply. Don't worry about housework, etc... chores will still need doing in a few weeks, months, years; your baby's only going to be tiny and highly dependent on you for a very short time so... relax and enjoy it! Hold, kiss, nurse, & look at that little one as much as you possibly can right now. and **hugs** 'cause I know it can get tiring.

There's a poem someone posted on another board a long time ago that I used to recite to myself or out loud to DS when he wanted to nurse and I 'needed' to get something done but couldn't:
"Cleaning and scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorry;
So quiet down cobwebs; dust go to sleep:
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."

Not 100% certain I've got all the words right but that's how I remember it & said/say it .... no idea where it came from. But it certainly helps out when / if you start feeling that anxiety to go do something, finish something etc.

Hope that helps mama. *hugs* again and enjoy that nb, he'll be crawling away from you before you know it!

amrijane128 12-18-2007 06:32 PM

Yep, it's not only that they nurse constantly, but nurse forever! Invest in a few magazines and books, and enjoy the time your LO will stay in your lap for hours at a time. You're building a great milk supply and nursing relationship, I know it's tough telling the whole world to stop, but it will be over in a few months, if that.

Fullhouse 12-18-2007 06:34 PM

It's very normal!

*Katherine* 12-18-2007 06:40 PM

Absolutely normal! Just keep at it! It WILL get better and he will start to go longer between feedings. You are doing great!

whippoorwill 12-18-2007 06:57 PM

thanks everyone for your responses! I thought I knew what to expect and was very mistaken, I think I want to rewrite all the books that say expect a newborn to eat 8-12 times a day :blush: it is the little things I sometimes have a hard time fathoming how to get done, like going to the bathroom :giggle: I am very lucky that my DH has done everything else.
It is good just to know this is how it is supposed to be and I am not doing something wrong. thanks again!

momtojande 12-18-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippoorwill (Post 2340474)
thanks everyone for your responses! I thought I knew what to expect and was very mistaken, I think I want to rewrite all the books that say expect a newborn to eat 8-12 times a day

I have thought that same thing!

But yeah, like everyone said, totally normal and it does slow down. Do be careful though if you bring it up to your pedi -- they are not all necessarily real knowledgable about breastfeeding so she might have a negative reaction to it.

saongiri 12-18-2007 09:36 PM

Completely normal and it will not last forever! This is the hard part but trust me by 6 weeks things will be more predictable and he'll go longer in between!He needs to nurse to get your milk supply up. Just take it easy, put your feet up and feed your baby---hugs---

negrapy 12-18-2007 09:46 PM

i dont think its un-normal but i dont think its necessary either for the eating portion of nursing at least - many babies also comfort suck and some need it more than others -which your little one might be doing - however either way your lo will not nurse this much forever even if it feels like it some days -

if you need more of a break to eat, shower, go potty etc - try Doc Jack's online articles and videos to increase milk intake in less time :hugs: and protect your future milk supply by making sure the baby empties the breast instead of just sipping -

my first would spend 40 minutes to an hr each side and then feel that if he werent sleeping (in arms) or sucking on a finger that he should start up again within 15 minutes - the poor baby had awful awful colic and it took a lot of work to teach him to eat and not just snacky after a lot of time spent using me as a human pacifer - luckily my second didnt have awful colic - just the textbook kind and did not feel a need to be attached in the same manner - being held suficed for him - so he ate about 30 minutes and even would refuse to latch and eat unless at least 2 hrs had passed - go figure ?!?!?

where is that hide under a paper bag smiley that i should be using after posting this -