Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Still no af 21 months & need some tips on 'gentle' weaning... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293485)

*Alabamamom* 12-21-2007 08:32 PM

Still no af 21 months & need some tips on 'gentle' weaning...

He'll be 21 months on the 28th and no af in sight STILL. Obviously, bfing is a darn good bc for us! We haven't used any bc at all the past several months because honestly, I wouldn't mind having one more baby... And, I have to say, I am really feeling ready to wean... But I don't want him upset and take it away cold turkey like some people have suggested.. namely my mom! ACK! One of my friends suggested putting lemon juice on my nipples so he wouldn't want to nurse and I did do that one time and he just cried so pitifully when he even looked at my breast.. he was just devastated so I will NOT be trying that again! I need some gentle approaches to helping him along to wean..
I also am wondering for those of you that bfing kept af away like this.. how long did it take for her to return once you weaned? I'm not getting any younger here... will be 36 in may! :cry:

ardejesus1 12-21-2007 08:38 PM

Re: Still no af 21 months & need some tips on 'gentle' weaning...

:yeahthat: I will definitely be taking notes. Our daughter is almost 21m and there is no end in sight. I wouldn't mind having my body back for a little while b/f having another one!!!

*Alabamamom* 12-21-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardejesus1 (Post 2359082)
:yeahthat: I will definitely be taking notes. Our daughter is almost 21m and there is no end in sight. I wouldn't mind having my body back for a little while b/f having another one!!!

Exactly! I truly envy these mama's that get af while they are nursing.. wonder why my body doesn't work like that??? :headscratch:

kattayanna_mom 12-21-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *bamamom* (Post 2359096)
Exactly! I truly envy these mama's that get af while they are nursing.. wonder why my body doesn't work like that??? :headscratch:

LOL well I envy you and the other moms who don't get AF while BFing.
I got mine back exactly 2 mths after DD was born and I was doing the classic things co-sleeping ,no artificial nipples or pacifiers, baby was getting nothing but BM,no gripe water , medicines ,etc.
As for weaning I have no advice my DD is still breastfeeding at almost 29 mths.

Calideedle 12-21-2007 09:37 PM

I didnt get AF back until DS was 9months & got pg my 1st cycle with DD I got it back at 15months. 21months is totally normal.

As for weaning we Child Led Wean so I have no advice, sorry!

amrijane128 12-21-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *bamamom* (Post 2359096)

Let's trade! :winkeye:

kyle98sean02 12-22-2007 04:31 PM

My ds will be 21 mo on the 4th and I still havent seen AF and would LOVE o wean but he has absolutely no desire. He still nurses several times a day and every 2-3 hours at night I wopuld loe to end the night nursing but he flips if I even try to elay a feeding by a few minutes. God luck mama and if something gentle works, please let us know :)

luvmy2girls 12-24-2007 06:58 AM

Maybe you don't have to wean, you could try night-weaning first? I just night-weaned DD, she's 18 mos, and 2 weeks later I got my first PP AF.

GL finding what works for you & your LO! :hugs:

Psychomom 12-24-2007 12:10 PM

:hugs:
Wellll, if you want to wean, I would generally recommend that you wait until spring. For one, the antibodies in your breast milk will protect your toddler from those nasty viruses that like to go around this time of year, and secondly, it is (IMO) easier to wean when you can distract your toddler. For instance, my boys NEVER want to nurse when they are playing outside! When I wanted to day wean Aydin as a young toddler (I was pregnant and couldn't take his nursing all day long anymore), I just took him outside to play a lot. I don't know what the weather is like where you are but it's easier if the weather is nice.

Also, keep lots of healthy, already prepped snacks handy. Maybe cut up fresh fruits & veggies in the morning and have them ready to pull out for your toddler when he wants to nurse. Or plan lots of hands on activities together, like play doh, puzzles, finger painting, etc. Anything to distract.

No other advice, but the above worked pretty well for me (we did not fully wean, though.) Good luck!

erinsaal 12-24-2007 12:39 PM

My *almost* 28 month old has no desire to wean. She loves her "boobie".

I am also nursing my 9 month old.

I want AF to stay away as long as possible.