Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tried & true natural methods for battling ear infection? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29560)

jls~Kain~Drake 08-09-2006 11:10 AM

Tried & true natural methods for battling ear infection?

Doc says his ear is really red but it's not necessarily infected yet...but still prescribed antibiotics....I feel like he's had too many antibiotics in his lifetime...

I know some of you mama's know some natural methods for battling ear infection...and since it's not quite infection yet, I'm hoping natural methods will work better now (as opposed to if it was a roaring and angry infection).

Antibiotics aren't necessarily required, right?

sparkygirl74 08-09-2006 11:17 AM

Re: Tried & true natural methods for battling ear infection?

Well we've never had an ear infection, but I know a lot of people who swear by the Chiroprator......Have you looked into that at all?:mrgreen:

jls~Kain~Drake 08-09-2006 11:19 AM

No, not really...we're pretty poor...and although I've heard that as well, I have a hard time wrapping my head around chiropractic healing for infection :) KWIM? Not discounting it, just one of those things that's kind of, :headscratch: 'huh?'

But I have heard that a lot so maybe we should try it...I don't know ;)

Thanks for the input!

OneFabMama 08-09-2006 11:34 AM

GARLIC GARLIC GARLIC!

One mama here I believe said she crushed up some garlic and put it between her DDs toes and put socks on and put her to bed like that the next morning she was fine (but smelly LOL). Cant hurt to try that.

Garlic is a natural "prescription" if you will. I take it every day in pill form. :thumbsup:

aliks 08-09-2006 11:46 AM

http://www.wallysnatural.com I used their ear oil on Tony when the doc said he was beginning to have an ear infection. DH came home from work and thought I was cooking some funkyk italian food, it has garlic, mullein, and tto in it. It worked too!

rpg_mommy 08-09-2006 12:21 PM

Breastmilk :)

Someone said breastmilk in the ear will help ear infections on the "What can breastmilk do" thread. We will be trying that if my DS ever gets another one.

:hugegrin:

hunterNkarter 08-09-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
Breastmilk :)

Someone said breastmilk in the ear will help ear infections on the "What can breastmilk do" thread. We will be trying that if my DS ever gets another one.

:hugegrin:

When my eldest had a ear infection this was recommended it worked in a day!

ALSO he got pink eye and I did basically the same and the next morning - GONE!

zonapellucida 08-09-2006 12:58 PM

I use ten drops of tea tree in about the same amouint of olive oil with great success over the last few years

bamamom 08-09-2006 01:04 PM

Hylands Earache Tablets.

Garlic Oil

Similisan Earache Drops

dont give them a bottle laying flat...always hold them up at an angle. Dont breastfeed laying really flat either..try to get up on a pillow ..get his head up.

Dont put them to bed with a cup or bottle..\\(Obviously i dont know if you do these things, but it was worth saying.)

Chiropractic...They realign the neck and shoulders...the ear tubes(eustachian tubes ) in a baby are so short, they can easily get kinked. This is exaggerated by the subluxations of the neck and spine.

A chiro that is reallly good at handling children can gently adjust their neck and unkink those tubes so they can drain..:mrgreen:

Julesmom23girls 08-09-2006 07:02 PM

Breastmilk!!
I definately recommend that one. It has antibiotic properties that will fix your DC up in no time. Hylands makes good products but I have never tried their ear med.

BTW, most ear infections don't require antibiotics and will clear themself. It is only when they become extremely infected that antibiotics are required. Of course you have to becareful that it doesn't go to long or hearing could be affected, but that is not really as common as they make it sound. Drs just give antibiotics no matter how severe so you won't be back in a few days.