Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   help allergies!!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29571)

marķa 08-09-2006 01:20 PM

help allergies!!!!

my 3 months old boy have allergies for milk and eggs:( what can i cook or bake for me,he is brestfeeding.

jkelstaten 08-09-2006 02:00 PM

Re: help allergies!!!!

My girls are both allergic to milk and eggs. Soy milk is actually pretty good. You can get it in Vanilla, chocolate and in some places Berry. You can simply replace cow's milk with soy in most recipes. It doesn't work in puddings etc. as it doesn't have the fat content that cow's milk has. I've used it in just about everything.

Eggs are a little trickier, but you could probably get a egg-free cookbook at your local library (that's what we did) and copy out any recipes you would like to try. Some aren't so great, some are really good. Be aware that the egg subsitutes sold by the eggs still contain egg white. There is a powdered egg subsitute that is egg free, but I don't know where you would find it in a regular grocery store since I saw it at an Amish grocery store, but they should have it.

Good luck. The best thing about these two allergies is if the baby avoids them completely for now there is a better chance of outgrowing it within the next year or so.

jkelstaten 08-09-2006 02:00 PM

My girls are both allergic to milk and eggs. Soy milk is actually pretty good. You can get it in Vanilla, chocolate and in some places Berry. You can simply replace cow's milk with soy in most recipes. It doesn't work in puddings etc. as it doesn't have the fat content that cow's milk has. I've used it in just about everything.

Eggs are a little trickier, but you could probably get a egg-free cookbook at your local library (that's what we did) and copy out any recipes you would like to try. Some aren't so great, some are really good. Be aware that the egg subsitutes sold by the eggs still contain egg white. There is a powdered egg subsitute that is egg free, but I don't know where you would find it in a regular grocery store since I saw it at an Amish grocery store, but they should have it.

Good luck. The best thing about these two allergies is if the baby avoids them completely for now there is a better chance of outgrowing it within the next year or so.

soygurl 08-09-2006 02:02 PM

You can look for vegan recipes! www.vegweb.com is realy good. You can even use their "main dishes" type recipes and use real meat if you want. Good for you for sticking with the BF!!

mom2hancj 08-09-2006 06:03 PM

My ds has lots of FAs...you can check out www.pofak.org. They are a great resource...you do have to pay a $25 fee per year...it is worth it to me for support. They are a message board and they have a good recipe section.

I used to have some egg replacer...if I find it, I can send it to ya....I don't use it anymore. My ds is allergic to eggs but can have it in baked items...just not plain. You can order it at different stores online too....I would do a google search.

Good luck!! You will adjust. It takes time but you figure out how to cook and it gets easier.

marķa 08-09-2006 06:20 PM

yes thank you:):)i can not find much in stores here in Iceland:(

artemis33 08-09-2006 07:05 PM

Make sure to watch out for a soy allergy as well. My dd has a milk allergy and is also allergic to soy (both through my breastmilk - she hasn't had much in the way of solids yet). I drink almond milk and use that or plain rice milk in most of my cooking. Coconut milk is nice in some things as well.

I eat poultry and fish, lots of veggies, rice and bean dishes, burritos, etc. I have adapted many recipes to be dairy free - even pesto for pasta is nice without the cheese (I split the batch in half and leave the cheese out of mine but add it for DH).

Eggs are definitely harder - luckily we can have them. You can make an egg substitute that works pretty well for cookies by grinding flax seeds and "whipping" them up with water. The texture resembles egg whites. I forget the exact proportions, but if you do a search you should find it. I don't think it would work for a lot of recipes, but I have baked cookies that turned out pretty good using them.

Instead of butter you can use coconut oil, spectrum shortening is non-hydrogenated and not soy, and many recipes you can just use olive oil. Flax oil makes a nice topping for veggies (after they are cooked).

Oh yeah, and vegweb is a good resource - they do use soy in many things but even that can be subbed if necessary. I just add meat to some things like the PP said or just leave it veg if it has beans for protein.

Good luck!!

quarli 08-13-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2hancj
My ds has lots of FAs...you can check out www.pofak.org. They are a great resource...you do have to pay a $25 fee per year...it is worth it to me for support. They are a message board and they have a good recipe section.

I used to have some egg replacer...if I find it, I can send it to ya....I don't use it anymore. My ds is allergic to eggs but can have it in baked items...just not plain. You can order it at different stores online too....I would do a google search.

Good luck!! You will adjust. It takes time but you figure out how to cook and it gets easier.

Im a POFAK mama too...lol

Its an awesome site. If anything you can go to google and type in egg free recipes and come up with a bunch of them. We have egg, milk, and orange allergies so we know how it goes :)

Julesmom23girls 08-15-2006 07:49 PM

I saw this advertised in a Parenting magazine so I thought I would share the info. This is a new line of baking mixes, I am assuming for cakes and such like Betty Crocker stuff. Anyway it is designed for people w/ food allergies so no nuts, dairy or eggs. Go to this website to find out where you can buy and get a coupon, www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/coupon

Hope this helps someone, and I hope they are good.

quarli 08-16-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
I saw this advertised in a Parenting magazine so I thought I would share the info. This is a new line of baking mixes, I am assuming for cakes and such like Betty Crocker stuff. Anyway it is designed for people w/ food allergies so no nuts, dairy or eggs. Go to this website to find out where you can buy and get a coupon, www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/coupon

Hope this helps someone, and I hope they are good.

Do you have the coupon code???