Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone else have stink issues w/synthetics only? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29629)

FunnyMonkey 08-09-2006 04:59 PM

Anyone else have stink issues w/synthetics only?

I'm still struggling since our switch to a front loader. I **thought** I finally figured it out, but after just a few washes, we have stink again : (

It's only on my synthetic diaps & wipes - fuzzi bunz, micro inserts & kl wipes that have a little poly in them. Hemp fleece, hemp jersey, cotton prefolds, velour & flannel all smell fresh & clean.

Any ideas what to do? I just ordered allen's naturally as a final step (since the sensi clean is not working either). I just stripped them a week ago & had to do it again today! Stripping once a week is not going to work for me long term.

I'm really upset at the thought of selling my beloved fuzzi bunz!!

I have a ton of stuff I bought ahead in size large & for a new baby (currently ttc) almost all brand new except what we're using at the moment - so it's a major loss if I can't work this out: 6 small fbs, 12 medium fbs, 4 medium swaddlebees, 18 large fbs, 24 kl 0s & 24 kl doublers:cry:

kathywiehl 08-09-2006 05:05 PM

Re: Anyone else have stink issues w/synthetics only?

For some reason that only happens to us with synthetic clothing. Every pair of fleece jammies I ever bought for the kids would end up stinking after awhile and I had a t-shirt that was a 50/50 poly/cotton blend and I left it in the hamper sitting on a wet towel for too long and it stunk so bad that I had to throw it out.

But, for some reason my diapers that have microfleece or suedecloth in them don't smell. Probably cause I don't let my diaper laundry pile up like the clothing laundry, so they are cleaned soon after being worn unlike the clothing which sits and sits until I finally have nothing to wear.

Maybe you could try a wet pail instead of a dry pail? That might help. If all else fails, it probably won't hurt to use a little bleach on them just one time. As a last resort I'd consider it but then rinse them like crazy.

FunnyMonkey 08-09-2006 05:07 PM

How often do you wash your diapers? I'm doing every other day.

kathywiehl 08-09-2006 05:14 PM

I wash every other day too.....I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what the problem could be. What kind of washer do you have? What is your wash routine? Do you rinse the poopy diapers before putting them in the pail?

FunnyMonkey 08-09-2006 05:25 PM

We just switched to a frontloader Kenmore HE4. It's going a little better since I started using the kidswear cycle. I do: Cold rinse/spin. Then select kidswear w/prewash & stain treat, with the extra skincare rinse. Hot wash/cold rinse. Using 1/2 TBS sportwash & 1/2 TBS calgon.

I don't rinse poopy diapers before putting them in the pail - they are very solid & most of it just rolls off & there aren't any bits left, just a little mark :yuck:

Maybe I need a sprayer to get rid of everything? I'm not sure if I can handle a wet pail

Oh and just to be really difficult, bac-out & vinegar both give dd a rash even with multiple rinses.

Watercolor Ponies 08-09-2006 05:47 PM

I did. I have a Kennmore Elite HE, and it didn't matter what I used to wash, it stunk to high heaven! So I just slowly sold/traded off my pockets, and replaced them with fitteds. I like fitteds better anyways, and I kept a few pockets for my baby (ff and hh, which for some reason don't get the stink) and my 2 yo uses all pockets bcs (hopefully:pray: ) he will start potty learning soon (he is almost 3) and as he gets out of those, I will sell them off and get larger fitteds. I do use some synthetic covers, but they don't get the stink like my pockets did. My mf towel inserts got the stink too, so I can't wait to replace everything with fitteds! I never have leaks with them, my pockets would wick all the time onto ds's clothes, drove me nuts!

a_cthelen 08-09-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMer
I did. I have a Kennmore Elite HE, and it didn't matter what I used to wash, it stunk to high heaven! So I just slowly sold/traded off my pockets, and replaced them with fitteds. I like fitteds better anyways, and I kept a few pockets for my baby (ff and hh, which for some reason don't get the stink) and my 2 yo uses all pockets bcs (hopefully:pray: ) he will start potty learning soon (he is almost 3) and as he gets out of those, I will sell them off and get larger fitteds. I do use some synthetic covers, but they don't get the stink like my pockets did. My mf towel inserts got the stink too, so I can't wait to replace everything with fitteds! I never have leaks with them, my pockets would wick all the time onto ds's clothes, drove me nuts!

I'm so with you! I love fitteds...never any stinkies. My HH were fine, but even using Allens I have stinks with some of my pockets. :(

kathywiehl 08-09-2006 06:26 PM

It's probably the front loader. I have one too and noticed that I have to be more careful with my wash routine now.

FunnyMonkey 08-09-2006 06:30 PM

I'm worried that is what it is. There's just no way to get enough water in there, if I add some extra it just adjusts. The worst part is I wanted a front loader because I thought it would make washing cds even easier, our old washer workded just fine!

kathywiehl 08-09-2006 06:31 PM

Do you have a sanitary cycle? I use that sometimes but for the most part I do a rinse, then a wash with an extra rinse.