Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nervous about pumping and daycare :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29661)

kissum 08-09-2006 06:56 PM

Nervous about pumping and daycare :(

I am going back to school in a little over a week. I went last semester too but only had night classes a few days a week and so keeping up the pumping was no big deal.
I haven't been away from her for more than 2 hours since school got out in May so now she barely takes a bottle. I'm concerned about that, but my big issue is that I will be gone for 5 hours on Mondays and Wednesdays. I'll be away at least 3 hours Monday through Friday.
I am really really concerned about keeping up with pumping. She still nurses to sleep for her naps (daycare is really going to love that :giggle: ).

I have my schedule set up so that i have a 50 minute break in the middle of the day, but realistically that will probably not be enough time to nurse the baby and get back to class on time.

So, how much do I need to pump for her if I'm gone for 5 hours? I don't think I can pump on campus- I don't know where I'd go. I am just freaking out. And we've just started solids and she only gets like 1/2 oz mixed with BM every few days. I don't really feel comfortable with her eating more solids, but if it keeps her off formula I'm willing to do it. Any advice on keeping up with her feedings when I'm gone all day?

Sorry for my ramblings, I'm just very concerned about it!

togg_mama 08-09-2006 07:16 PM

Re: Nervous about pumping and daycare :(

Hi Ali,

I EP'd for my late dd for 6 months due to her inability to nurse.
If I were you, here's what I would do:

Pump after nursing whenever possible, but at least at the times when she eats a little bit less normally.

On the three hour days: feed her right before you leave and as soon as you return.

On the five hour days: pump during your break. If you have an electric pump (and I would advise it!) you can get an adapter for your car. You might also want to get a pumping bra. Toss a blanket over you and pump in the back seat of your car. Most people will have no clue!

HTH.
Adrienne :)

greenkmt 08-09-2006 07:30 PM

OK the three hour days I don't think will be that bad. Just take one bottle with you to daycare. (Just in case.) On the 5 hour days, she will probably eat what like once? Just take a bottle there. If she is over 6 months, you might think about a sippy cup, if you are not there she will probably take a bottle and if not, 5 hours is not a long time to not nurse and she will make it up later in the day.

I will also give you some advice... PUMP NOW DON'T WAIT! I didn't listen and I was always playing catchup. Stock pile your milk in the freezer. Um... I second the pumping in the car. I say the front seat is fine though. Noone will care... Just cover up and that should do.

I did 10 hour work days with 1 hour to work and 1 hour home so 12 hours without my son and he wasn't on solids yet.

Just a word of warning. If you don't want her to have formula or solids, tell the day care. Somtimes they will do you a favor and feed them that because it couldn't hurt... :( Not a favor to me but just tell them so.

greenkmt 08-09-2006 07:32 PM

I just saw that she is almost 7 months old. You shouldn't have a problem with those hours. Believe me you will want to pump in between class... at your break?

Julesmom23girls 08-09-2006 08:12 PM

I did this w/ my first DD. I was able to find a bathroom w/ a lounge to pump in. It was nice because it happen to be in an area where few people went, and even when someone came in it was a womens restroom so no one seemed to mind. For me the lounge was on the other side of the bathroom from the door so I sat facing away from bathroom stalls.

I would almost bet you can find a place to pump, but the car idea is good, then you won't have to carry all the stuff with you. It was easier for me to pump in the lounge because I had to park far away. I only had a Avent manual pump and it worked great, but an electric pump will have more to deal with. Another place you might check is in the music dept, often they have private rooms for practicing, I am sure you could find one empty to use for a few minutes.

I would definately plan 1 bottle for the 3 hr days and 2 bottles for 5 hr days. Seemed like my babysitters always said it wasn't enough milk and wanted to give DD formula, so better having extra than not enough. Start pumping now and have at least enough for the first couple of days, then you can pump the day before for the next day. Pump after each session to get the leftovers and pump once before you go to bed to get your supply ready.

Good luck mamma, you will do fine!!!

rpg_mommy 08-09-2006 08:14 PM

I went back to work when DS was 2 months old, so he was EBF for 2 more months and is still nearly EBF now at 9. He's in daycare all day 5 days a week and I've been able to pump enough for him, so it's definately do-able, you just have to figure out your timing and stick to it.

I have to second the electric pump. I don't know what I would do without one. I started out with a manual, and it was horrible. I also second the stock up now idea. Playing catch up is no fun. Check on ebay and you can probably get a good deal on a Medela - I have a Medela Pump in Style and it's wonderful. It comes with a car attachment and has a cooler pocket so you can store your milk while you are in class.

1 bottle should be plenty for the 3 hour day, and 2 bottles should be plenty for the 5 hour day - more than enough, maybe, so if you plan on 2 and she only needs one, then you end up with more stockpiled.

Pump on your break, and if you stay up significantly later than your baby (mine goes to sleep around 8 and I don't go to bed till 11 or so) pump again right before you go to sleep.

MAKE SURE you tell the daycare that they are ONLY to feed your baby BM while she is there.

Julesmom23girls 08-09-2006 08:15 PM

Forgot to say, try going to the campus a few days a head and scope out good spots to pump. I knew where I could go already so it wasn't too bad, but I ended up finding this lounge by chance, and it was more private than the first place I had in mind.

mmskids 08-10-2006 11:35 AM

I also agree with the Medela. Mine came with the battery pack. I use it all the time in the car. If you are attending a college, find out where the student health is. Ask them for a room to pump in. No use being in either a warm or cold car if you don't have to. With 50 minutes, you should be able to get there, pump and then get back to class.

I have the backpack style PIS and no one can tell what it is. I carry mine around at work and no one has ever asked me what's in it. It's great. Best part, it's all inclusive so you can keep the milk with you and it also doesn't have to be left in the car. (freezer packs included with it).

I'd get it now and confirm that she will take a bottle for someone else. If not, my DS lived on cereal and a sippy from 4m on. Hated the bottle and I was gone almost 10 hours a day. He wasn't the greatest with the sippy but he drank enough to keep dyhrated and then power nursed when I got back.

I agree with feeding right as you are leaving and having them wait to you get back for the 3 hour days. You may want to leave a frozen couple bags of milk in their freezer incase you are ever late. Also a spare bottle for them to use.

Irishmommy 08-11-2006 07:01 AM

You also may want to call the campus and ask is there is a nice, clean place for you to pump. They may allow you to use a faculty bathroom or something that might have more privacy, or a spare office. I second the idea about keeping extras on hand. My daycare almost always told me that I didn't send enough even though I pumped twice in an 8 hour day and fed right before we left in the am and right after we picked up. I tried to explain this to the sweet ladies, but they insisted that he needed more (even though he wasn't fussy). I guessed that they wanted him to have the practice time like the other kids, so I sent a sippy around 7 months and told them he could have water just to practice. That seemed to pacify them, and didn't hurt my son at all, so it worked for us.

I just wanted to add that you will want an electric pump if at all possible. Those are just more reliable imo. I know some women do well with the hand pump, but if you are going to pump long term, I just think electric is a better choice. Just my two cents. I rented the medela lactina and I felt like it worked great. I just nursed like crazy on the weekends and I pumped for 9 months while I worked.