Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How did your parents tell you about sex? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30272)

Raquelita 08-11-2006 04:32 PM

How did your parents tell you about sex?

I was having a conversation with someone the other day about this and thought i'd do a poll. :goodvibes:

MommyMommyMommy 08-11-2006 05:03 PM

Re: How did your parents tell you about sex?

I voted 'had a talk'. My mom sat me down in 5th grade after the class they did at school to talk about periods and puberty and she filled me in then. I remember being severly embarassed! :blush:

I have a friend whose family is VERY prudish (is that a word?) and learned everything she knew about sex from us, her group of friends. Her sister, though, honestly did not know anything about sex until a roomate in COLLEGE told her. She didn't even beleive her roomate at first. I think that is WAY extreme, to never talk about it, yikes!

jls~Kain~Drake 08-11-2006 05:21 PM

I voted never had a talk...my situation was pretty close to your friends mommyx3 :)

I learned everything from my friends and one of my friends' dad had a sex book and we looked at it once (out of curiousity, not for sexual purposes!)...and I figured out a lot then :) And I was so embarassed that everyone knew so much more than me...I never asked straight out what anything was or what anything meant...I just listened to conversations and figured things out best I could. At one point in high school, my mom said she wanted to talk to me...and I figured that it was regarding my parents' divorce. So we were sitting there at Pizza Hut eating..full restaurant...and she says, "I wanted to talk to you about sex" I was SOOOOO embarassed, truth or not I said, "I already know everything, don't worry about it" She wanted to know how I knew, and I just told her from health classes in school.

I wish my parents would've raised me to be more comfortable talking about that stuff....I was so embarassed by the topic that I never even wanted a boyfriend until I got out of high school and was practically on my own. I *did* have a boyfriend before then...but was so embarassed by the whole situation.

Shannon 08-11-2006 05:47 PM

I was in 4th grade. My mom sat on the couch...I sat on across the room on the fireplace. I was so grossed out...LOL

I didn't learn where the baby came out until a couple years later. My mom was pregnant with my sister and I was 12 when she was born...if that says anything. Up until then I thought you pooped it out*blush* Once I knew how it came out for real...I swore I didn't want to have any kids. Ever.

KnottyLDSMama 08-11-2006 06:10 PM

I never got a talk. I learned what I learned from me and my best friend finding her parents ****o tapes when we were in 3rd or 4th grade. And then of course from sex ed in school. It's really, really sad. Then again, so is a lot of how I was raised.

So glad I'll be there to do things differently for my son.

urchin_grey 08-21-2006 02:48 AM

My mom was VERY open about everything pratically since I was born. She never, ever hid her period from me so I've known what that was since before I can remember. I think I vaguely remember asking at about 3 years old why girls bleed, and when I was going to. She just told me so that ladies can have a baby. It wasn't long after that I asked about how babies were made and she explained it like you would to any 3 year old: She told me that mommies and daddies get REALLY close and make the baby. She went it to more detail about everything a few years later when I realized she wasn't being very specific. :giggle: Also, I don't remember when she told me, but I know that I knew were the baby came out since as long as I can remember as well.

I don't think we ever sat down and had a "talk" but as things came up over the years, she'd tell me or ask me if I knew about certain things.

Oh, and I voted "other"!

GrowingUpMad 08-21-2006 04:41 AM

Sex :rofl: I think when I came home pregnant at 16 my dad figured out that he didn't have to deal with the talk!!

Seriously though, I was raised by my father (my mother and I were just too different) and he had a hard enough time buying me my first bra and teaching me about my period (which is a whole different post). If he would've had to explain sex to me I think it would've killed the man. He is a very serious and uptight business man and I was his baby, I think the thought may not have even occured to him. I learned most everything from my friends and picked up the rest here and there (books, movies, common sense). I can say though that a fw things I didn't learn until well after I had my son :blush: Thankfully though my ex was also a virgin so we kind of learned together and there was no pressure. I ended up with dh when Alex was only 1 1/2 (and he was FAR from a virgin) so my expierence is withthe 2 of them mainly. I was never embarrassed that I didn't know and I have no clue how or when I picked up where babies came out but I did.

I am very open with my children so it will be different for them. My son learned pretty much all the basics when he was 7 1/2 and I was about to have his sister. He found out how she go there and how she was getting out, a womans cycle and all that good stuff. Since then he has learned the rest, a bit here and there as I find appropriate. My dd is turning 4 and I've decided not to lie or be vague with her so I already her where exactly the baby will come out unless I need a csection. She just thought it was funny and giggled :giggle:

On another note, I took my son and his friend camping a few weeks ago. His mom had packed his bag and used her suitcase and he pulled out a few sposie pads (in a side zippered pouch) and they were laughing it up. My son had no idea what they were so I had to pull him to the side. He thought everyone used cloth like I did and thought it was even more gross to just throw that away. My dd has never seen a sposie pad either so she would've been just as confused, got to remember to explain that one.

jkelstaten 08-21-2006 05:46 AM

sex? What's that?

all kidding aside. My mom never told me a thing about sex. We went to the class at the school to teach about menstration, but she never even said a word about that. I found out everything through experience (deeply regretted experience). Dh's family is very open about such things, but in a good way (nothing crude) so I plan to teach my girls the basics of life as the questions come up.

yellowcampcat 08-21-2006 06:17 AM

I asked my mom directly when I was about 11. One day she sat me down and told me all about it. ( I had already learned about the menstrual cycle in school.) I was grossed out, but glad that she explained things to me in a loving way emphasizing God's wonderful design for how the human race goes on. She also gave me a book a few days later that I could read on my own.

Dorky_Mom 08-21-2006 07:25 AM

i was raised by my father, and I think he was embarassed or something to talk to me about sex so he sent me on over to my grandmother and aunts home for a sex night learning session. They ordered pizza and had books and everything.

i think the fact that they make it a HUGE deal really made me feel uncomfortable. but otherwise I learned. the books helped.
but it may have thought me a little too much. HAHA :smiley_haha:

cause now i have 2 babies. lol