Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303782)

MollyJones 01-08-2008 11:08 AM

How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Can anyone tell me more about artificial sweeteners and pregnancy? How bad they are or safe they are? :headscratch:

It seems half of what I read says, "Oh, they're fine!" and the other half says, "It is AWFUL to ingest ANY!"

I am confused. Thanks!

FinnegansMom 01-08-2008 11:24 AM

Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

I don't think it's pregnancy per se but honestly I don't think they are that awesome for you at anytime. Same with preservatives and any other chemicals added to food. That said, I will have some crystal light or whatever on occasion, especially lately since water tastes so horrible to me for some reason (ugh, morning sickness) and I'm so thirsty all the time... ugh. I've heard that splenda is the "best" of all of them, definately no saccharin. I tend to worry more about MSG and that kind of junk which is in SO many foods you wouldn't even think of....

Jonesy 01-08-2008 11:29 AM

I just read up on AS. And I can say that I promptly went and THREW OUT every drink we had (that I could find at least) that had Saccarin, Aspertame (will NEVER knowingly let myself or my family have THAT again!!:yuck: ) and Splenda in it. I can't throw out everything that has the stuff in it because we'd have nothing to eat. But I'm gonna start. I can't believe I was putting that stuff in our bodies.

MollyJones 01-08-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesy (Post 2456641)
I just read up on AS. And I can say that I promptly went and THREW OUT every drink we had (that I could find at least) that had Saccarin, Aspertame (will NEVER knowingly let myself or my family have THAT again!!:yuck: ) and Splenda in it. I can't throw out everything that has the stuff in it because we'd have nothing to eat. But I'm gonna start. I can't believe I was putting that stuff in our bodies.

Can you tell me more about what you read/what it does? I just want to be more educated on it... I don't know which sources are best to learn from. Seems everything I read has some kind of agenda behind it...

Jonesy 01-08-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyJones (Post 2456692)
Can you tell me more about what you read/what it does? I just want to be more educated on it... I don't know which sources are best to learn from. Seems everything I read has some kind of agenda behind it...

Sure. But I'm so disgusted about it (seriously...brand new to me...did research last night) that I might go on a soap box. Sorry. For starters, Aspertame (which is in diet soda, crystal light, etc) has methyl alcohol in it which turn to FORMALDEHYDE when it enters the body!!! (oh and btw, the FDA has received MORE complaints about aspertame than ANY OTHER INGREDIENT TO DATE!!!!) Nutrasweet and Equal contain aspertame. Splenda is not good either. It is Sucralose. The FDA calls sucralose 98% pure (pure WHAT is the question)...the other 2% are heavy metals and ARSENIC!!!

I'm still doing more research...

mother4JC 01-08-2008 11:54 AM

My mil got me a book called the guide to Healthy Eating by Davd Brownstein M.D and Sheryl Shenefelt C.N. I had been drinking Diet Coke made with Splenda because I thought it was better, but it isn't. Here is what it says in the book.

Sugar Substitutes are known as spartame (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonfull, andEqual-Measure), saccharin (Sweet N' Low) and sucralose (Splenda).
The most common artificial sweetener used is aspartame. The United States consumes over 80% of the worlds' supply of aspartame. It is added to more than 6,000 foodsand many pharmaceuticals, including many children's liquid medications.
Our experience has shown that consuming large amounts of aspartame may acutally cause many health problems, inluding obesity. We have found that it is very difficult for people to lose weight, if they are consuming large amounts of aspartame. In addition, there are many neurological disorders and system disorders exacerbated by aspartame. Aspartame should not be used in any amount and needs to be avoided.
Sucralose is a newer sweetener marketed as Splenda. However, sucralose, which has two chlorine molecules per molecule of sucralose, can lead to thyroid and other hormonal problems. Sucralose should be avoided.

It goes on to say that Natural sweeteners should be used. They list these as Agave Nectar, fruit, honey (raw), maple sugar, maple syrup, molasses, rapadura, stevia, sucanat, and xylitol.

Just wanted to share, because I thought it was pretty interesting reading about it.

MollyJones 01-08-2008 12:10 PM

Thank you for the information ladies and taking the time to write it! I really appreciate it! I have been drinking some diet sodas during this pregnancy and I think I really need to re-think that and switch over to water. I do drink a lot of water, but I am feeling guilty about the pop now!!!

kezoo 01-08-2008 12:13 PM

I just wanted to add that we don't consume ANY artificial sweeteners at our house. In addition, I had a nutritionist validate my opinion, by confirming that nobody should ingest AS, esp. pregnant women, as all the AS out there cross the blood brain barrier and get the brain of the infant. My vice is a single "pop" a week, sometime a caffeine-free Coke, other times the Knudsen fruit spritzers (which is fruit juice w/ carbonated water). :)

IHaveSpirit 01-08-2008 12:15 PM

I choose to put "whole foods" into my body. I choose things that are the least amount processed KWIM? I do admit I like a diet coke now and again.

Remember everything in moderation :)

1blessedmama 01-08-2008 01:16 PM

I agree with the others...

I always figure that if someone wants a sugar substitute, why not just cut back on the real stuff? That way you don't even have to worry about taking those nasty, deceptive artificial ones anyway.