Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Coughing when running around? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304664)

mum2kenna&lucas 01-09-2008 10:25 AM

Coughing when running around?

My ds is 2.5 yrs old. And for about a week he has been coughing when he runs around and is playing. The more excited he gets, the more he coughs. He was sick with a cold and cough about 3 weeks ago. Could it be lingering? Should I be worried about this? He had sleep apnea when he was an infant until about 10 months old, so I am beginning to get concerned..:goodvibes:

mamoo3 01-09-2008 12:51 PM

Re: Coughing when running around?

My guess would be that his cold is still lingering or he's fighting off another cold. We just had two cold, one practically on top of the other. I would give extra vit. C and try to find something fun to do to slow him down when he gets coughing. I've never dealt with sleep apnea with my kids though, you know your child best and if you are concerned it might be best to take him in to get checked out.

JustAugust 01-09-2008 12:59 PM

Could still be the previous sickness. But that is how my asthma presents too. So you might watch him close for that. I don't have the "can't breathe/suffocating" asthma. Just when I get going too much I start coughing and can't stop, eventually it could get bad enough to be a typical asthma attack, but it's really rare for me. If I start coughing though, I still take a puff from an inhaler, or it can get worse.

pigletmsu 01-09-2008 06:36 PM

If it doesn't stop, I'd say it's probably asthma. That's how my DS's started out--dry coughing after running around outside. And then it progressed over about 6 months to a full blown asthma attack that I thought was just a really bad cough until my FIL (a dr) came over with some cough meds and said that it wasn't a cough, it was an asthma attack, and it suddenly all made sense. Went to the allergist and it was confirmed, got an inhaler and daily allergy meds and we've had to use the inhaler about 10 times in the past year (spring and fall are his worst times).

mum2kenna&lucas 01-09-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigletmsu (Post 2469361)
If it doesn't stop, I'd say it's probably asthma. That's how my DS's started out--dry coughing after running around outside. And then it progressed over about 6 months to a full blown asthma attack that I thought was just a really bad cough until my FIL (a dr) came over with some cough meds and said that it wasn't a cough, it was an asthma attack, and it suddenly all made sense. Went to the allergist and it was confirmed, got an inhaler and daily allergy meds and we've had to use the inhaler about 10 times in the past year (spring and fall are his worst times).

Thats kindof what I am afraid of..How do they test them? He has been to an allergist before, but for food allergies. A different Dr. told us that he may develop asthma, so when he began coughing I started to think of that in the back of my mind..

Mindi 01-10-2008 04:33 AM

It sounds like it is lingering from his cold but could also have RAD (reactive airway disorder) My middle son has this. It is basically asthma, but before it can be technically diagnosed. Until he can take a PFT it isn't technically asthma.

Are you able to listen to his lungs when he is done running around? Just put your ear up to his back where his lungs are and listen as best you can. If you can hear anything other than him breathing I would get him seen.

:hugs:

mum2kenna&lucas 01-16-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMindi (Post 2472352)
It sounds like it is lingering from his cold but could also have RAD (reactive airway disorder) My middle son has this. It is basically asthma, but before it can be technically diagnosed. Until he can take a PFT it isn't technically asthma.

Are you able to listen to his lungs when he is done running around? Just put your ear up to his back where his lungs are and listen as best you can. If you can hear anything other than him breathing I would get him seen.

:hugs:

I was able to listen to his lungs the other day and they were clear ( I have a stethescope so I am pretty confident that they were clear) He is still doing this. I went to a meeting today and he was running around with other kids that were there, he began to cough so bad that he had to sit down to regain his breath.. I think I will call our ped tommorrow. It is really worrying me :(

Kita 01-16-2008 11:19 AM

I think the only way to know if it IS asthma is to have a pulse oximeter reading when he's having the "attack". But if the coughing doesn't keep going after he settles down, then things are probably OK, and you don't need any more intervention.

My DS has asthma that presents as coughing, too. We didn't know it at first, either, and thought he had a lingering cold. When he couldn't stop coughing for more than 10 seconds, we brought him to the ER, and they had to admit him for 2 days because it was so bad. I didn't know at the time that it was asthma, so BOY, did I feel bad. But I can't beat myself up over it, because I didn't know.

I'd say you're doing the right thing....talk to your doc, and bring up "asthma" when referring to the coughing. Your doc should be able to help you out.