Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I made a frappucino last night.....yummy! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30662)

mommyofsweetones 08-13-2006 09:16 AM

I made a frappucino last night.....yummy!

I absolutely LOVE Starbucks coffee and have been particularly partial to their iced/frozen drinks this summer. Unfortunately, my pocket book isn't as crazy about my visits to their establishment, not to mention the ridiculous amount of sugar that these contain! So last night I googled "frappucino" and was surprised at how easy it is to make these at home. So I made a batch for DH and I and we enjoyed them on our porch swing last night.....and I still have $10 in my wallet! :)

Prettylocks 08-13-2006 09:45 AM

Re: I made a frappucino last night.....yummy!

:drool: Great idea!

Laniemel 08-20-2006 10:32 AM

Now, you know better! Can't start a thread like that without telling us how you made them! The closest Starbucks to me now is about 2 hours away and I have been missing those drinks!

cameransmommy 08-20-2006 01:15 PM

Recipe????:mrgreen:

stellar225 08-20-2006 03:44 PM

America's Test Kitchen has a SUPER yummy frozen coffee recipe I make for us all the time. It's so much cheaper and I think it tastes better -- less watery. :thumbsup:

mommyofsweetones 08-20-2006 05:14 PM

I'm sorry....I don't know why I didn't think to post the recipe I used, although there are a number of copycat recipes on the web. It was surprisingly easier than I thought! I guess it figured it must be difficult since they cost so much. Here's the recipe that I modified after doing a bit of research....this is a copycat of Starbucks frap:

* 3/4 cup double-strength coffee, cold
* 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 cup low-fat milk
* 2 cups ice

1. Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker: That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee. Chill before using.
2. To make drink, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until ice is crushed and drink is smooth. Pour into two 16-ounce glasses, and serve with a straw.

CARAMEL

For this version, add 3 tablespoons of caramel topping to the original recipe and prepare as described. Top each glass with whipped cream and drizzle additional caramel over the whipped cream.

MOCHA

For this version, add 3 tablespoons Hershey's chocolate syrup to the original recipe and prepare as described. Top each glass with whipped cream, if desired.

I brewed some really strong Starbucks coffee (Sumatra) twice to get the strength of an espresso.....brew it once, then pour the coffee back into the maker where you would normally put the water and brew it again and then freeze it in ice cube trays, so you don't have to add as much ice when blending it. Once they were frozen, I popped them into my VitaMix along with the other ingredients and just a little bit of crushed ice. I used chocolate syrup and topped with whipped cream.....oooh, it was great!

BTW, stellar255, hello to another Iowan! I from north central Iowa....what part of this grand state do you reside in? :)

SewWhatMama 08-20-2006 05:34 PM

That sounds YUMMY! I have been wondering how to make those. Thanks! I am going to go try it tonight.

stellar225 08-21-2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyofsweetones
I'm sorry....I don't know why I didn't think to post the recipe I used, although there are a number of copycat recipes on the web. It was surprisingly easier than I thought! I guess it figured it must be difficult since they cost so much. Here's the recipe that I modified after doing a bit of research....this is a copycat of Starbucks frap:

* 3/4 cup double-strength coffee, cold
* 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 cup low-fat milk
* 2 cups ice

1. Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker: That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee. Chill before using.
2. To make drink, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until ice is crushed and drink is smooth. Pour into two 16-ounce glasses, and serve with a straw.

CARAMEL

For this version, add 3 tablespoons of caramel topping to the original recipe and prepare as described. Top each glass with whipped cream and drizzle additional caramel over the whipped cream.

MOCHA

For this version, add 3 tablespoons Hershey's chocolate syrup to the original recipe and prepare as described. Top each glass with whipped cream, if desired.

I brewed some really strong Starbucks coffee (Sumatra) twice to get the strength of an espresso.....brew it once, then pour the coffee back into the maker where you would normally put the water and brew it again and then freeze it in ice cube trays, so you don't have to add as much ice when blending it. Once they were frozen, I popped them into my VitaMix along with the other ingredients and just a little bit of crushed ice. I used chocolate syrup and topped with whipped cream.....oooh, it was great!

BTW, stellar255, hello to another Iowan! I from north central Iowa....what part of this grand state do you reside in? :)

We moved last year from W'loo/CF to the NW corner of the state :) It's funny, it still seems so recent!