Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   nursing the 2nd+ time around (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3072)

wbkt8 05-02-2006 08:09 PM

nursing the 2nd+ time around

i'm not pg yet, but in reading various threads about tandem nursing/nursing while pg it made me wonder what if anything surprised you about nursing the second time around - particularly if you had a successful time with your first?

dd's still nursing at 19 mo - so naturally i have a pretty high level of confidence in nursing & in myself - but i wonder if i might be in for a rude awakening with #2?

hope this makes a little sense....

Lucky Child 05-02-2006 08:18 PM

Re: nursing the 2nd+ time around

good question! I'll be watching!

navars2 05-02-2006 11:09 PM

The one thing I found difficult was NIP with the second. Not because of me but because of my DS. From the time he was born, he would refuse to nurse if we were out. UGH! LOL I was fine with it after nursing my first for 27 months. He had other plans, though. He's finally (at almost eight months) willing to nurse at least a little if we're out but he doesn't nurse well.

mommyof2girls 05-02-2006 11:27 PM

I found this time hurt WAY more...but it's because DD was a lazy, aggresive latcher!
but..she's about to be one year in 12 days, so I guess it's going good!

Samantha 05-02-2006 11:45 PM

OK

The first time I had a LC come in and see me while I was in the hospital. SHe helped DS and me get a good latch going and all that. I nursed him until 9 months at which time I thought he was DONE (he didnt want to nurse at all, he wanted FOOD) looking back it was probably a nursing strike and I knew nothing about them I just thought he was done nursing.

Second time around. I decided the LC didnt need to come see me because "I had done this before and knew how it worked" :blush: DD had a poor latch and I hate to say it, but I had to PAY for the LC to come see me at a month PP because I had mastitis and I was about to give up. Lesson learned let the LC visit you at the hospital where you DONT have to pay for it and then you dont have to go through the PAIN of a bad latch. I am still nursing DD and she is 20 months. I am not sure if she will make it through the entire pregnancy or not but, either way, we made it a HECK of a lot longer than we did with DS

Next time the LC will visit me in the hospital because I *DONT* know everything there is to know about nursing :giggle: like I thought I did with DD :blush:

twinsmomkatie 05-05-2006 08:44 PM

My second time was WAY WAY easier than my first!

cuties02q 05-06-2006 09:07 PM

I nursed dd until she was over 2 1/2 si i was very sure that i would do fine with ds and i did until he went on a nursing strike at about 6 months and i really thought he would never nurse again. He did and now is 10 months and nursing fine but i am so glad that didn't happen with my first or i think i would have just thought she weaned herself. Good luck with #2!

Shaineinok 05-07-2006 09:57 AM

It was a lot easier with my second. My first had a lot of latch on problems for the first month or so.

sept04mama 05-20-2006 09:15 PM

I am finding that it isn't as easy as I thought, because DS2 has a different nursing personality and the problems are different this time around. It is easier, though, as far as me knowing what I'm doing/troubleshooting.

Cindy 05-20-2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie
My second time was WAY WAY easier than my first!

YEP!

I nursed Erik about 20m. And then when Jack was born I was like a pro. :P He's now 2m and nursing is great, has been since his 1st latch in the hospital. SUPER easy this time. :mrgreen: