Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Poly-Sol Vitamins and BFing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30798)

patty_o_furniture 08-13-2006 08:44 PM

Poly-Sol Vitamins and BFing

My doctor wants me to give my baby vitamins because "they aren't in breast milk". I got them, but really haven't gave any to DD because breastmilk is supposed to be exactly what babies need. If they needed that vitamin it would be in milk right? Or should I still give the vitamins to DD? What's your opinion?

9800Emily 08-13-2006 09:30 PM

Re: Poly-Sol Vitamins and BFing

My doc wanted me to start these when dd was 6 months, but I only gave them to her twice. They are smelly and DD always gaged. The main concern is vit D. I read somewhere that 15 min out side a day would give a baby all the vit D they need. I take dd out for 5 or 10 around 3 times a day. HTH

mommypooh 08-13-2006 09:40 PM

ITA with PP. I bought them opened them took one whiff and tossed them in the trash. They are totally nasty, stick to high heaven and back, and they stain horribly. I have 2 kids I never have given them to and I delay solids, I also have to do Iron tests every 6 months through WIC and that is why the doc wanted me to give them to the babies was for iron. my kids have always been on the high end for iron with no vits. I also make sure my kids are exposed to the sun for pretty decents amounts of time every day and are perfectly heathly,.

A'smommy 08-13-2006 09:57 PM

The MDs have given me mixed messages about this. One said absolutely, it's vital, and another said, well, if you get plenty of sunshine it's probably not a big deal...so I bought it and kinda delayed using it. At about 1 year I got kinda worried that her iron might be low, so I started giving it to her more regularly. It does stink and stain, and DD spit it out at first, so I gave it to her in the tub at the end of her nightly bath. I brush her teeth right after so I guess she doesn't mind so much. We're still BFing at 16 months and she eats solids too, so I feel better knowing that surely between the milk and the vitamins, no matter how little solid food she eats, she's fine.

But you're right, with the BFing she's getting everything she needs. :thumbsup:
HTH
K

Julesmom23girls 08-13-2006 11:57 PM

I agree BF has most everything your baby needs. I have never heard that about vit D but do know the one concern w/ BF is iron. Most babies have enough iron stores to last about 6 mo at which time they need to start getting a regular does of iron, but that doesn't have to come from a vit. Most baby cereals and dry cereals are iron fortified, I want to say all grain products but I might be wrong. Anyway, there are many ways to make sure your baby gets iron as needed. And as for Vit D, it is the sunshine vitamin, and your body will make it when exposed to sunlight. 15-20 min of sunlight a day is all it takes. This can be difficult if it is winter and you live in very cold areas but other wise not that hard to get.

I say use it if you want, it won't hurt your baby but if you decide not to use it don't feel bad, chances are the baby will get the nutrients from one source or another. I never even bought them for my DDs.

teachermama 08-14-2006 01:08 AM

I never gave them to my oldest, but I did use them with my son (who has been chronically ill and allergic/asthmatic since birth). I figured they would help boost his immune system just in case I was lacking any vitamins in my own diet...which would mean he wasn't getting them in my milk. My ped. never recommended them to me though...I just felt like I wanted to try something to help him stay out of the Dr.'s office (we were going once a week minimum to at least one of his four dr's for one thing or another). The vitamins did seem to help him and I would recommend them if your baby is sickly like my little guy. But if things are going well I'd keep doing what you're doing and not worry about it. (I put the vitamins in a sippy cup mixed with something or in a bottle mixed with BM so he never took them straight if you are worried about the staining/taste.)

Tootsiemomma 08-14-2006 08:08 AM

Ah here we go with the vitamin's again...blech!! My dd's pedi has been insisting that I give them to my dd since she was 6 months, claiming that bm doesn't have everything she needs. Well, I haven't and they did a nutrition work up on her last month, she's getting EVERYTHING that she needs. When her pedi asked me if I was giving her vitamins, I said No, she doesn't need them, she got really mad at me, but I said, you just told me that she's got perfect nutrition a minute ago lol. If your child bf, and gets a variety of solid food, they don't need all the extra vitamins. Actually, I've seen articles and newstories on how parents and pedi's are OVERsupplementing their kids with vitamins. It's unnecessary unless they have problems or arent' eating enough solids. It's very easy to overdose kids on toxic Iron and other vitamins. I'll never give my kid vitamins, just ensure that they eat a variety of healthy foods.

halyled 08-14-2006 08:27 AM

My ped. hasn't prescribed vitamins, but she did write up a prescription for fluoride because it isn't in BM. Anyone else?

Tootsiemomma 08-14-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halyled
My ped. hasn't prescribed vitamins, but she did write up a prescription for fluoride because it isn't in BM. Anyone else?

Never heard of that....I know my mom used to give my older brother flouride in his bottle but she didnt' bf...I dunno :headscratch:

Ruthe 08-14-2006 09:28 AM

My concern with giving artificial vitamins to a breastfed baby is that they could block absorption of the natural vitamins and nutrients in breastmilk. The iron in breastmilk is highly absorbable (is that a word?) but when iron supplements are given, they are a form of iron that might block things up so that the breastmilk iron isn't absorbed as readily. Vitamin D can be obtained from the sun if you can get the baby outside. Baby vitamin drops have artificial flavor and preservatives added, and there isn't any other food I would routinely give my baby that contains these things. They seem absolutely undesirable in every way, to me.