Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30856)

jennyofthemoon 08-14-2006 06:58 AM

Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline?

The following have been added to the age 11 schedule: Pertussis, Meningitis, and HPV (although HPV is suggested at 10 years old but no later than age 11). Just saw this on the news this morning, and was wondering what people think of this? Not looking to start a debate...personally we don't vax, but if we did I think I owuld have a big problem with vaccinating a 10 year old for a STD!!!! I'm not ebing naive, I recognize there are some kids who may be sexually active at that age, but I can't think for the life of me why. The Pertussis booster has been added, not for the older kdis, as the news said this is an annoying illness but they are boosting older kids to keep babies form being exposed. And the meningitis is being added to help keep kids safe when they go to collge since it seems to be most likely to get it from there or any group living situation, but since THAT vax has an up to approx. 10 years immunity, by the time these kids go to college (if they do even) it seems kind of silly to vax at age 11 when the vax, when even if it was 100
% effective, it would be nearing the end of it's lifespan once the kids hit college age. The news didn't go into details about *why* the guidlines have been revamped, so I'm curious if anyone knows why *this* age was picked....

Also, they mentioned that one state (didn't know which one) was trying to overturn the religous expemption for public schools, as "religion is important but keeping our kids safe is more so" according to state rep via news anchor. Anyone know which sttae this is? And how does that provide us with religious freedom?

Again, not looking to start a debate, but was wondering if anyone has some more info on this stuff......

crunchy-mama 08-14-2006 07:37 AM

Re: Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline?

I have an even bigger problem vaxing a nb for an std (hep b) but i think that the safety of the new HPV vaccine is questionable at best...that is aside from the moral issue of vaxing for an STD at 10!!!!
Don't get me started on pertussis and meningitis. Did you hear about may cases of meningitis before they were testing the vaccine?
geesh. Can't wait til they approve that vaccine for stupidity!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...mage0215my.jpg

presleycaedmon 08-14-2006 07:44 AM

presleycaedmon 08-14-2006 07:49 AM

(ignore my dorkiness above)

Not to hijack the post, but I have a sort of related question...
We don't vax now, but when I had my DS I was young and dumb so he has had all of his vaccines on schedule up to 4 years old. So here's my question:
Are we doing more harm than good by not giving him any more vaccines? I mean, will his immune system be able to function well enough to fight disease on it's own or have we done so much damage with the vaccines that we've now locked ourselves into them for the rest of his life?

keegans_mommy 08-14-2006 09:21 AM

Gosh, if they get rid of the religious exemption I would be tempted to homeschool! I will stop at NOTHING to protect my children from the brain damage that my oldest DD has endured already from the mercury ladened vax's she's had in the past! And that has been proven medically/scientifically and is NOT an emotional opionion in the slightest :2cents:

But still, my children will not be getting anymore vax's, the menengitis/polio vax doesn't always work as menengitis is still heard of more often than not. And the rest of the things vax'ed for aren't as bad as I once was conned into thinking they were.

Ok, getting away before I say something that will really get things heated.

laneylue+2 08-14-2006 09:22 AM

I think a more appropriate age to administer the HPV vaccine would be in the teens when the child is closer to becoming sexually active.

A side note about the HPV vaccine that bugs me is that many people are calling it "the cancer vaccine." That is incredibly misleading and I liken it to people calling circumcision protection against HIV. Neither is really true.

The vaccine that you didn't mention and I hear mamas saying is now offered to them is the rotavirus vaccine. I will definitely NOT give my boy this one.

They just keep adding more and more vaccines. When is enough enough?

jennyofthemoon 08-14-2006 09:31 AM

Oh, I hadn't even heard about the rotavirus vaccine. I will admit I am out of the loop a bit, being that our decision is already made and I don't really keep up on the current debates/discussions about it, but that's something I hadn't heard of.

My post was about the news this morning, and since I watch the news every morning in an attempt to pretend to live in the real workd, I coulsn't miss it. Debate about vaccination in general aside, I was relaly appaled that they felt the need to vaccinate 10 year old girls for STD's. Ick.

laneylue+2 08-14-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyofthemoon
Oh, I hadn't even heard about the rotavirus vaccine. I will admit I am out of the loop a bit, being that our decision is already made and I don't really keep up on the current debates/discussions about it, but that's something I hadn't heard of.

My post was about the news this morning, and since I watch the news every morning in an attempt to pretend to live in the real workd, I coulsn't miss it. Debate about vaccination in general aside, I was relaly appaled that they felt the need to vaccinate 10 year old girls for STD's. Ick.

ITA. I wonder why they are recommending it so young. I think I read the window of opportunity is up to 23 years old or something like that.

I think the rotavirus vaccine just recently started being offered. I know I wasn't offered it for DD and she's only 17 months old.

I tend to avoid the news most times because the real world can be depressing. :(

9800Emily 08-14-2006 10:02 AM

We selectively vax, and will not being giving any of the new additions. I just do not think they are necessary. :2cents:

annes_cottage 08-14-2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9800Emily
We selectively vax, and will not being giving any of the new additions. I just do not think they are necessary. :2cents:

Same here! That makes me very mad!!! 10 yrs old!! Rediculous!!!!:banghead: