Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ETA! When do they go in a booster seat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308697)

hollyday27 01-13-2008 08:21 PM

ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

ETA: I in know way meant that we were going to skimp on the carseat deal, just wanted to clear this up. I simply didn't know when the appropriate age was, but I plan to keep them in carseats for as long as possible. Some of you thought that I was going to skimp on the carseat deal, and that simply isn't the case, I was just curious on the age/weight requirements. Never even seen a booster seat IRL so I have no idea how they work and are not a harnessed seat. We will just plan on getting another convertable seat for the baby. Love our carseat for the toddler, I think it's a Cosco? Anyways, don't think I'm a Brittney Spears driving with my babies not is a seat! This simply wasn't what I meant! :thumbsup:

We have a convertible carseat for DS1, and the baby is in a infant seat, but he is SO heavy and he is starting to be too long for his seat at 5mos (he's 20lbs too). So we were thinking about getting a carseat for the baby now, but at what age/size do they go in a booster seat?

I'm thinking that if DS1 is able to go in a booster seat it would be cheaper to just get him a seat and the baby uses his convert. carseat, KWIM? Then what happens if we have another kid, do people actually drive around with 3 carseats, LOL? We'd def. need a bigger car in that case! No room for passengers as it is now, but that's kind of good in a way. :giggle:

Infinity 01-13-2008 08:44 PM

Re: When do they go in a booster seat?

It’s recommended to keep a child in a 5 point as long as possible. And not before age 5yo and at least 40lbs. My 7 and 9yo are in booster still and will remain their till they out grow them. Our 3 yo twins (only 29 & 30 lbs) would still be rear facing if we could fit them that way with all the other seats. And 19mn DS is rear facing at 25lbs and will be till he’s 33lbs (max on his seat).

BelovedBird 01-13-2008 08:50 PM

If the kid fits in a convertible seat I would keep him in it, rear facing as long as possible. As many kids as you have that fit in car seats, thats how many car seats you should be driving around with. :) There are so many recent threads about this. If you can't find them lmk, I'll link them for you.

jpicasso 01-13-2008 09:31 PM

4 years AND 40lbs in the bare minimum for a booster seat, though I would also recommend keeping him harnessed for longer than that.

mama2madj 01-13-2008 09:49 PM

your older is way too young for a booster seat....the cosco scenera is only $40 at walmart and will work just fine for your baby
and i drive around with 4 carseats (8yo-booster, 5.5yo-harnessed, 4yo-harnessed, baby-rf harnessed) it's just the way it is doing what you can to keep your kids as safe as possible

sahminaz 01-13-2008 09:52 PM

Yep, your two year old is way too young for a booster. I wouldn't even consider it for another 2 years. We have 3 carseats in our van. My 6 and 4 year old are in Regents(5 pt) and my ds is rear facing.. Just get an additional convertible carseat that has a high rear facing weight limit so your baby can still rear facing.

mistylaureena 01-13-2008 09:58 PM

Your DS1 Is not but a month or two older than mine and he is wayyyy to young to be just in a booster.

If I were in your shoes, i would find another convertible car seat that goes up to 80 pounds and put your DS1 in that and give the other convertible car-seat (your DS1 is in now) to the baby. SO that way when your DS2 gets much bigger he can get the new car-seat and then at that time you can get a booster for you DS1.:thumbsup: That will save you the most $$

jennsmile 01-14-2008 05:36 AM

Keep your two yo harnessed. It is hard when you are trying to watch money and carseats get outgrown. I have tall torosoed kids only 2 but I can't tell you how many carseats I have bought. :blush: Mostly because I would buy one only to have it have short top straps and have my kids outgrow the seat.

The scenera is a great seat. Wonderful for kids rfing under 35 lbs. I found when I turned my guy FFing I didn't have lots of room. :2cents: It was worth the money while I saved for a seat to go to 65 lbs. I have a sumo wrestler, not really he just is 42 lbs (now not when he was in the scenera) and has his uncles long torso so I didn't have a choice. He was two and needed a harnsess.

There is a brand new seat out, the Graco Nautilus. It is at some Walmarts and should be in other stores in the coming months. It harnesses to 65 lbs and then after the harness is outgrown it converts to a booster. It is around $150. It expires after 6 years and your child may still need another booster but at that point you could probably just get a backless booster.

For future kids on a budget I would recommend the scenera till it is outgrown FFing, then the Nautilus. For less than $200 you will have kept your child safe.

Jenn

PS Yes I will be driving with 3 kids in carseats. A Regent for my 5 yo, and a Radian for the baby, and a Graco Nautilus I hope for my two yo. And FYI I watched sales and got my carseats for significant savings.

PPS Take the cost of the carseat and divide it per day. Even pricey britax's come to pennies a day over the lifetime of the seat. It makes me feel better to know how little per day I am spending to keep my kids safe.

Kanga 01-14-2008 05:56 AM

As late as possible. I understand your trying to save money, but carseats really aren't the area to skimp out on, KWIM? I don't 3 kids, but we do plan on 2 more for a total of 4 before, with at least one of those before our oldest is 8 years old, so yes we will have 3 possibly 4 in carseats. Even with just 2 kids, we were rapidly running out of room in our sedan so we bought a van.

Adorabumz 01-14-2008 06:27 AM

I HIGHLY recommend you try car seats out before you buy them by sitting your child in it and seeing where sholder straps fall. Harness straps need to be at or above the sholder level or they'll fall down over him and not protect him well. Some manufacturers have a much higher top setting than others. My DS is 3 years old and 35 lbs, and 40.5 inches tall.

I saw at target they have new seats that are designed for taller, older kids. You may want to look into them :)