Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dr rant.....update in first post! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308966)

mommyto2girls 01-14-2008 09:05 AM

Dr rant.....update in first post!

ok I love our Dr to a point...she supports CD and breast feeding 100% and Usuaully is great to see.....but

my 10 month old has had some really nasty diapers since right before christmas....of course this was on vacation so into the ER we took her...umm just watch her...ok that's great no biggy I'll take her into the Dr when we get back if she still has it...so Last Monday I took her in to her Dr....ok we'll run some test on her poo see what comes up...NOTHING

so i call and talk to the nurse today to see if I can get her in or if the DR had ANY other ideas or what...

the nurse calls me back with DR's response.....

she doesn't have a bug, just make sure she doesn't get dehydradted, she could be teething (WHICH SHE"S NOT!) some babys just have nasty diapers and theirs nothing we can do:headscratch:
WHAT! NO that's not RIGHT!

so I told the nurse this has been going on for almost A MONTH! something is GOING ON!! so we book an appt for tommorow (would be today but DH has the truck and car is broken down:banghead: )

I honestly think she's having a reaction to something I just don't know what...this kid is an eating machine LOVES her food/milk

and I have REALLY cut out a LOT of fruit for her in the last week or so to help her....in the last week she's ate manly bananas as fruit...baby cereal for breakfast everyday...usually no lunch and then for supper she eats what we eat

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

thanks for letting me rant I just needed to let that out...I'm just sooo frustrated!

update!!

we saw the Dr today, she still thinks it's nothing but we are keeping a food journal to see if there is anything that makes her diapers worse....
she is having limited to NO fruit at all

also she is no longer on zyrtec and now on benadrill (sp?...sorry can't think!) for her runny noise and cough...we are also to keep track of that also...coughing just at night or day also, what kind of cough...we are going through colds first to see if maybe it's that instead of asthma (she's had this of and on (mostly on) for the last few months)

she is doing good though, gaining weight and all (she's over 20 lbs fully clothed ....so I'm guessing about 19 1/2 nakie )

and so we go back to the DR next week...urh I should make that appt!

crittercrazy3 01-14-2008 09:09 AM

Re: Dr rant

:hugs: :hugs:

how are her poops looking mama? is she having any other odd symptoms?

ds1 eats a looooot. and well, what goes in must come out- boy are his diapers just :sadno:

fruit would make her go more, i'd think.

momto3Es 01-14-2008 10:05 AM

DD had a horrible rash for 9 weeks! We tried EVERYTHING: 3 prescriptions, 5 OTC meds, 1 concoction mixed by the pharmacist,3 kinds of wipes, and 5 different brands of diapers. And then we switched to cloth & STILL battled the rash.

Our ped couldn't figure out the problem either. We finally just decided that she has a sensitive butt.

We did find one thing that works: Resinol. The pharmacist has it behind the counter (ours special orders it for us). We have to use sposies or liners when we use it b/c it does stain. But after 9 weeks, I could tell a difference in the first day!

S Starr 01-14-2008 12:20 PM

Mine had nasty poop for -- I'm thinking five months. The dr ran tests, couldn't find anything. I tried to link with foods, couldn't find anything except maybe too much fruit. I wouldn't be too irritated with your doctor. It is incredibly frustrating (especially with CDs, in my opinion), but the doctor might be right.

ericahex 01-14-2008 01:00 PM

Ugh. My doctor can be pretty apathetic too. In his case I find if I push him hard enough he listens - ie. I brought a notepad with 3 pages of symptoms and a book about reflux and said I wanted to trial some Zantac "just to see if it might help" since I knew he didn't want to use it. Even now he doesn't want to but we're about to switch Dr's anyway.

Hm. Anyway. After switching diapers and wipes and butt creams several times we finally realized Alex is milk intolerant. It didn't manifest as rashes right away, although it probably exacerbated his reflux. I think he was about 6 or 7 months old when suddenly he just got yeast rashes all.the.time. After the 6th diaper rash cream didn't work and a Dr had me try Nystatin I could clear the rash up, but they came back almost as fast. Soon I realized it was each time he pooped. Finally the Dr suggested switching to hypoallergenic formula and whammo, yeasties are under control. Dr also has us watching his sugar (ie. fruit) to help. But seriously I swear the kid partially just has a sensitive digestive system.

Kita 01-14-2008 01:12 PM

I think the point isn't whether or not the doctor is right. The point is that the OP feels as though she's not being listened to by the doc. Any good doctor should listen to their patients. If you feel like you're not getting the time and consideration you should from your doc, then it's time to change.

mommyto2girls 01-14-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crittercrazy3 (Post 2506229)
:hugs: :hugs:

how are her poops looking mama? is she having any other odd symptoms?

ds1 eats a looooot. and well, what goes in must come out- boy are his diapers just :sadno:

fruit would make her go more, i'd think.

it varys from mush to completely runny, no more "solid" poos

and fruit does make her go more, so that's why I cut those out (bananas, had before all this consipated her that's why I've been giving her those)

she also has excema (which manly shows in her diaper area) and a cough and runny noise ....the excema she's had since the summer and the cough and running noise since oct, Nov. something like that.....she was taking zyrtec for that, but it's no longer working

and really I have this feeling something is just not right
and like I said she is a great Dr MOST of the time...just not right now, and it would be incredibly difficult changing Drs due to our insurance

Emily Whited 01-14-2008 02:02 PM

I say continue to look into it because it sounds like that is what your gut is telling you and I believe in following your gut.

diane24 01-14-2008 03:17 PM

Maybe she has rotovirus(sp?) If she hasn't had it and hasn't been vaccinated that could be what the poos are.

mommyto2girls 01-15-2008 10:43 AM

Re: Dr rant.....update in first post!

update in 1st post