Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   WWYD: RE Childcare (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309013)

Weezy6703 01-14-2008 09:57 AM

WWYD: RE Childcare

Landon goes to a lady who keeps children in her home, he's been with her since he was 7 weeks old. He's nearing 2 and they have a great thing going. Our 'plan' and her plan as well is that when he turned 2 we would gradually change him over to another in home dcp that keeps 2-3 year olds...basically kind of moving him up and the new lady (Brenda) would do more learning activities that are a little more age appropriate. None of this is reflection of current ladies care. Its just the 'system' we've had set up. Another little boy, jacob turned 2 in august and that's where he went after he left linda, and that was our plan for landon.

linda told me last week that she (brenda) is closing her business the end of may b/c she needs something with more affordable health ins. Which I completely understand that. I'm kind of bummed that landon won't get to go to her now b/c I was looking forward to it. Linda is still going to keep him for the duration/as long as we want her to. Part of me kind of wants to 'secretly' look around at what's out there. There's a lady with a great set up in my neighborhood and i see toddlers being dropped off every morning. I told daniel I'd like to check her out and go from there...but the whole thing of him beginning to do more activities and stuff like that I was excited about. Linda works with them, reads, dances, and does all that as well so i don't feel short changed if he stays with her but at the same time, being around more kids of his age was exciting as well. That being said, the kids he's with, since jacob left he's now the oldest (21 months) the next oldest is 14 months and one is tad younger than that but walking and the 4th baby she's just crawling around. He's in that stage of starting to learn more things and part of me doesn't won't to hinder that if there's things that 24 months and up can do that a 9 month and younger can't do. know what i mean? attitude and personality and relationally (word??? LOL) he gets along fine with them. I mean he's also a normal toddler who has to learn to share, has his 'me' moments wheere he doesn't want to do what he's told and all that.

if it makes a difference...prolly not but he moves up at church i think at 24 months to the next class. doesn't have to be completely potty trained either.

thanks for any input: would you stay with current provider while looking for other possibilities since you were going to switch anyhow, or just stick with? my gut does tell me to 'look around'.

kocho 01-14-2008 11:11 AM

Re: WWYD: RE Childcare

I would probably stay since you're already comfortable there. But that's just me, I don't like change. But it really sounds like you want him in more of a preschool type situation where he will be learning more. I don't think it hurts to check out your options.

BTW - it's great that your church has an actual class at 24 months. Ours just started that and I love it!! Grace was so ready for more then just nursery!!

Weezy6703 01-14-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kocho (Post 2507200)
I would probably stay since you're already comfortable there. But that's just me, I don't like change. But it really sounds like you want him in more of a preschool type situation where he will be learning more. I don't think it hurts to check out your options.

BTW - it's great that your church has an actual class at 24 months. Ours just started that and I love it!! Grace was so ready for more then just nursery!!

thanks mama....i guess part of the reason i'm wanting it is that and we were kind of expecting a change since he was going to be 'moving' anyway.

landon actually snuck in the 24 month class a few times b/c he was 'walking' and doing alot but they made go back to the infant class because of his age. I didn't take him in the 24 month class but this was before they knew how old he was and the people told me the wrong class (this was before I knew age categories and they just told me to put him with the toddlers) anyway I do like the differences though!

MamaEli 01-14-2008 01:16 PM

When DS was a baby, he went to a woman who only kept them up to 2. Her whole set up was for babies, so we knew we had to make that transiton. I think it helps the sitter be more effecient to have kids the same age together,too. It wouldn't hurt to look.

Katherine 01-14-2008 04:58 PM

We're going through this too - dd seems to have "aged" out of her current sitter. The sitter is wonderful for babies, but there's just not much there for an active, curious 2.5 yo little girl. We've decided to keep her there until the summer, then maybe send her 1 day/week, we'll see (I teach and am due in June, so keeping her there would be nice), then in the fall, she'll go to full-time preschool. She just recently and quite unexpectedly became the oldest child at the sitters - the sitter has her own 5 yo, who goes to preschool, then there was a little boy a couple of months older than dd, but his mom just have birth and is keeping him home with her for maternity leave, so poor dd is left with the 14 mo and the 12 mo, as well as the part time 7 mo. It's good, in a way, b/c she's learning to get along better with younger kids, but she's def. missing some intellectual stimulation there. I would change her to preschool now, but I don't want to do too many changes at one time, plus I want her to spend the majority of time in the summer at home with me and the baby, and she'd loose her preschool spot in the case. It's hard to think about changing, b/c dd is very comfortable there and has been there since she was 8 weeks old, but I know the time has come. I'm sure you'll start seeing more and more signs that your ds is ready to move on. Could you ask the parents of the other little boy who had moved on to the next sitter what they'll be doing for care when his sitter closes? Maybe you could still keep them together at another sitter?

Weezy6703 01-15-2008 01:56 PM

Thanks mama...I want to contact the other mama, and she, her dh and I all work at the same school - I just don't remember her last name.
:banghead:

in some ways it's a hard decision and other times i'm like, lets get going and do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine (Post 2510386)
We're going through this too - dd seems to have "aged" out of her current sitter. The sitter is wonderful for babies, but there's just not much there for an active, curious 2.5 yo little girl. We've decided to keep her there until the summer, then maybe send her 1 day/week, we'll see (I teach and am due in June, so keeping her there would be nice), then in the fall, she'll go to full-time preschool. She just recently and quite unexpectedly became the oldest child at the sitters - the sitter has her own 5 yo, who goes to preschool, then there was a little boy a couple of months older than dd, but his mom just have birth and is keeping him home with her for maternity leave, so poor dd is left with the 14 mo and the 12 mo, as well as the part time 7 mo. It's good, in a way, b/c she's learning to get along better with younger kids, but she's def. missing some intellectual stimulation there. I would change her to preschool now, but I don't want to do too many changes at one time, plus I want her to spend the majority of time in the summer at home with me and the baby, and she'd loose her preschool spot in the case. It's hard to think about changing, b/c dd is very comfortable there and has been there since she was 8 weeks old, but I know the time has come. I'm sure you'll start seeing more and more signs that your ds is ready to move on. Could you ask the parents of the other little boy who had moved on to the next sitter what they'll be doing for care when his sitter closes? Maybe you could still keep them together at another sitter?

Katherine 01-15-2008 05:11 PM

What if you ask the sitter their last name? You don't have to come out and say you're going to hit her up for childcare info, just say something like - I'd like my ds and the other little boy to play together, but I'm so embarrassed, I forgot their last name and can't get ahold of them at school. I mean, anyway, the current sitter HAS to know you're looking for a different situation -our sitter is very upfront about being set up for babies and toddlers, but not so good with preschoolers.

sungodis 01-16-2008 12:20 AM

I would go ahead and look around. It can't hurt and you might find something you really love.

kaspears17 01-16-2008 07:58 AM

I would follow your gut and look around. I agree that he needs more age appropriate interaction and stimulation. There's not a big differnce in 10 months when you are 6 or7, but there is when your 14 months and 24 months. kwim?

Weezy6703 01-16-2008 08:37 AM

Thanks mamas..and on the name I'll have to check that out.

we've had a few other little quirky things like I took his clothes off yesterday and he had a pampers on. no big deal except the last two kinds of diapers I sent were walgreens premium and luvs. so either she had a stray one of landons or used someone else's diaper. he wears pampers occasionally when we buy them but she shouldn't use some one else's stuff if that's the case.

then she asked us to bring snack and juice or she needs to raise rates. and i bring xyz of stuff to her house...then i pick him up the other day and he's eating something different than what I brought....which is fine cuz she does feed him her stuff for lunch and occasional bfast (i feed him at home for bfast most days)....but it kind of rubbed me the wrong way after her specifically asking for snacks.

another thing she says she hasn't been able to get him to eat lunch good hte last several days. he'd just spit this out and stuff like that so she ends up giving him pb&J sandwich along with pudding or fruit. Another no biggie except I can get him to eat at home...last 2 nights we had mac n cheese, peas and ham and he had extra ham and then later I cut up and apple he'd eat that and last night he at a whole orange and some cheerios after supper.

I'm not saying if he went somewhere else they wouldn't have eating issues but still....knowing the other lady that he was going to go to is closing along with these thigns that are bothering me kind of makes it the right time.

on that note, I spoke with a well recommended center at a local church that won't have an opening until july but possibly earlier. we do have a small town so there aren't a gazillion possibilities. I tried to get him into this same place when we first started out but they didn't have openings and I needed someone quick. So anyhow I put him on a waiting list this morning. I feel so good now....it's a start!!