Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Too tall for high back booster? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309355)

tararaboomdeea 01-14-2008 02:50 PM

Too tall for high back booster?

My 6 yr old has outgrown her current booster seat by height. It's not a high back. So, we went yesterday to find a new one, and her head is at or a little above the top all the seats we looked at. Now what do I do?

rcarver 01-14-2008 07:28 PM

Re: Too tall for high back booster?

Can you get the one that just goes under their bottom and doesn't have a back?

Irishmommy 01-14-2008 07:31 PM

Some of the Graco ones seem pretty tall. Not sure which ones you looked at, but those seemed tall to me.

kalynn 01-14-2008 08:09 PM

Not sure about brands, just know her ears can't close to even w/ back.

Sorry I am not much help:(

jackyl08 01-14-2008 10:41 PM

Were you looking at ones that were just boosters? The Graco and Evenflo highbacks have a headrest that moves up. There is a handle on the back and they move up. I think a lot of people don't realize this. They are pretty tall. The Britax Parkway or the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster go even taller. The Fisher Price is on sale at albeebaby.com for $30 and I think they have $5 shipping. Oh and Target has an Eddie Bauer highback that adjusts pretty tall.

Here is a list to look at:

Graco Turbobooster
Evenflo Big Kid(this one seems a little flimsy and does not have any EPS foam)
Britax Parkway
Cosco/Eddie Bauer(it's at Target for about $80, I think. Can't think of the name:headscratch: )
Fisher Price Safe Voyage(made by Britax, but discontinued, so cheap)

Let me know if I can be of any more help. I know how confusing they can be.

tararaboomdeea 01-14-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyl08 (Post 2513046)
Were you looking at ones that were just boosters? The Graco and Evenflo highbacks have a headrest that moves up. There is a handle on the back and they move up. I think a lot of people don't realize this. They are pretty tall. The Britax Parkway or the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster go even taller. The Fisher Price is on sale at albeebaby.com for $30 and I think they have $5 shipping. Oh and Target has an Eddie Bauer highback that adjusts pretty tall.

Here is a list to look at:

Graco Turbobooster
Evenflo Big Kid(this one seems a little flimsy and does not have any EPS foam)
Britax Parkway
Cosco/Eddie Bauer(it's at Target for about $80, I think. Can't think of the name:headscratch: )
Fisher Price Safe Voyage(made by Britax, but discontinued, so cheap)

Let me know if I can be of any more help. I know how confusing they can be.

Yes, just a Booster. I didn't realize that some of those had adjustable head rests.

I just ordered the FPSV convertible for my 6 month old from Albee--wonder if they'd let me order this one, and have the free shipping still. That one looks really great. I should go back and look at Target again too and see if they have the Eddie Bauer one. When I was there the other day, they didn't have much to choose from.

Why do the high backs all convert to a "on the seat booster"? Is there a time when you should take the back off? Or is it just for comfort/preference?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

jennsmile 01-15-2008 05:27 AM

You take the back off when your child is too tall for the high back BUT doesn't pass the 5 step test to be in JUST a lap/shoulder belt.

Jenn

raceNzanesmom 01-15-2008 06:16 AM

She has outgrown a high back booster when the tip of her ears is above the seat back OR she's over the weight limit. A backless booster can be used as long as there is head support from the vehicle (same rule, tip of ears down). You can find the 5 step test and other great info at http://www.carseat.org.

I would call albeebaby. They have excellent CS.

geckoed 01-15-2008 08:19 AM

what they said. FWIW my DD moved INTO a Regent at 8yrs old and has room to grow in it. She was too tall for her high back.

tararaboomdeea 01-15-2008 08:23 AM

We have a Regent for my 4 yr old, so I'm thinking about getting another convertible for him and passing the Regent to her. We originally bought it for her, but she couldn't unbuckle herself, and it was causing a problem in the drop off line at school, so we switched her to a booster.

But, he's not as tall, and won't be 65 pounds for a while, so he could be in a 5pt of another seat. By the time he's 65 pounds, we can give the Regent back to him, or will be able to afford another one.

What seat do you all recommend for him? He's almost 5, 40something pounds. Not sure of his exact height.