Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southeast (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   TN mama to be... ? please help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310028)

jannika 01-15-2008 10:12 AM

TN mama to be... ? please help!

Hi, we are currently in Europe, but are considering a move to Nashville. I am looking for like-minded parents who can tell me about the living there.

What do you do with the kids? activities? parks? meet other kids? I plan on staying home with the girls (now 1 and 3 years) until age 4 or 5, at which time we are looking at a few hours of kindergarden a day. maybe... ?
is the living pretty "green"? Ecologic-minded? access to organic foods? does the area re-cycle?
how is the atmophere in downtown? can kids grow up there, or should we look at the suburbs or smaller surrounding town?

Pleaes, please, if you are from TN, Nashville to Knoxville with surroundings, Please help guide us!! I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks, mamas! ;)

Mom2Jaydon 01-15-2008 09:02 PM

Re: TN mama to be... ? please help!

I wouldn't want to live in Nashville because it's too big Murfreesboro is close to Nashville and it's a nice town. There are things to do with kids there is the Zoo and i'm sure there are other things to do.We try and go to the Zoo a few times a year it's a nice place.

WonderMom 01-15-2008 09:26 PM

i agree its to big i live in a nice little town not to many people but its rapidly growing we hav etons of new things. i agree we go to the zoo a few times i hate going to knoxville just to to much for me. a small city girl.

VinhThiMom 01-16-2008 05:05 AM

I definitely wouldn't live IN Nashville. I live about 20 miles SE and that's close enough for me!

ktarsha 01-16-2008 10:55 AM

My sister lives in west Nashville, about 5 minutes from downtown, and she likes it pretty well. I live in Nolensville, about 20 minutes southeast of Nashville, and I prefer the suburbs (apart from the crazy growth and development). I stay home with my son (almost 2 years old) and right now we don't do much out of the home, but when the weather warms up, we'll be going out more. There are some great parks, and the zoo.

I wouldn't call this area very ecologically minded, but there are more and more people who are trying to live "green" lives to some extent.

There is access to organic foods - there are a couple of Whole Foods and Wild Oats stores, and Franklin and Nashville have great farmer's markets. In our area, there isn't any (to my knowledge) curbside recycling, but the county dumps have recycling facilities. I think west Nashville does have curbside recycling, which also takes more than our dumps do (we can only recycle 1 & 2 plastics; they can do any recyclable plastics).

Unless you're considering homeschooling or private school, take into account the school system. Williamson Co. has a highly rated system; I don't know about Metro Nashville/Davidson Co., though.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have more questions.

remrath 01-24-2008 10:29 AM

I live in Murfreesboro and love it. There's two chapters of the national mom's group and one from the online meetup group. the local chapters have 2-3 activities every week. We get more shopping by the day and hopefully we'll have a whole foods soon. Right now we have a small Sunshine Nutrition center (they're great) and both Kroger and Publix have a good variety of organic and green products.

Elph 02-11-2008 10:02 AM

I live about an hour and a half south of nashville. It's very pretty here but there isn't much organic foods etc around here. Yes you can get some at walmart and kroger, but there isn't much food. There is one Organic smoothie shop that is also a store but for their prices are super high but I am not use to organic. The area I live in is very pretty there is a state park not far and lakes all over the place. I don't think that Nashville is a very big city and I really enjoyed when my FIL lived downtown. Of course I am from the Chicago area originally and that is a much bigger city then Nashville.

I just realized this was a pretty old thread hehe.

Meghan 03-22-2008 07:51 AM

I have a yahoo group for Nashville area moms who might could help you too. :)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nashvilletnmoms/

My sister lived in the West End part of N'ville and loved it. However, there are cute cities all around Nashville (like 20-30 minutes to downtown) that are just great too. The father north of Nashville you go, the more $$ you get for your house- meaning more house for the $$ you pay. We are in Springfield, about 30 minutes north of Nashville.