Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What do you do w/ leftover egg yolks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312252)

hollyday27 01-17-2008 12:39 PM

What do you do w/ leftover egg yolks?

I've been cooking like a mad woman these last few days trying to expierment since I'm a newbie cooker. Anyways, I'm doing a lot with the Decept. Del. cookbook (Did the carrot muffins today YUM! Both DH & DS are HUGELY picky and they loved them!) and I'm doing the Egg Puffs for dinner with Buttered Noodles (is that a weird combo?). Well, I have four yolks left over. Is there anything you can do with them or are they trash?

PS I didn't realize that I already had cream of mushroom soup and after my trip to the store yesturday I now have eight cans! :giggle: What can I do with them all besides green bean casorole? :yuck:

connorsmama 01-17-2008 12:45 PM

Re: What do you do w/ leftover egg yolks?

you can make creme brulee with egg yolks, sugar , heavy cream, and vanilla extract! yummy dessert!

greenMImama 01-17-2008 12:46 PM

extra egg yolks, I make home made ice cream, yummy, or you can make home made pudding, since it calls for yolks not whites.

when you have to many whites then you make angel food cake, or meruings

hollyday27 01-17-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connorsmama (Post 2535733)
you can make creme brulee with egg yolks, sugar , heavy cream, and vanilla extract! yummy dessert!

I don't have heavy cream, but is it the same as evaported milk? :blush:

sillymama 01-17-2008 12:49 PM

You can use it to make the cook and serve (not instant) lemon pudding.

You can make orange jello according the package directions and then lemon cook and serve pudding (also according to the package directions) and mix them together and refrigerate. Add some cool whip to the top and it is delicious. I call it Dreamsicle Dessert. Yummy!

OrganicallyMade 01-19-2008 02:03 PM

We ususally just throw extra egg yolks in with a big batch of scrambled eggs!

marieliza 01-19-2008 05:28 PM

you can make tator tot casserole with the cream of mushroom. It's my favorite casserole.

My favorite way is ground turkey mixed with green beans, mushrooms and cream of mushroom then topped with tator tots and into the oven until they brown. You can also substitute peas, ground beef, etc.

ktarsha 01-19-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollyday27 (Post 2535763)
I don't have heavy cream, but is it the same as evaported milk? :blush:

Heavy cream is like whipping cream, only thicker. Evaporated milk is regular milk with a great deal of the water removed. You might could use it to make creme brulee, but cream works and tastes best, I think.

When I have extra egg yolks, I like to make hollandaise sauce.

I use cream of mushroom for one of my all-time favorite dishes. Mix two cans of cream of mushroom with a 16-oz. container of sour cream, dump it over some chicken, and bake until the chicken is done. If you want to get fancy with it, spread dried beef luncheon meat on the baking dish, and wrap the chicken in bacon (it adds a really nice flavor to the sauce). The sauce is sooooo yummy, and really good over plain rice.

cakemaven 01-19-2008 11:53 PM

I'm a professional cake decorator, so I frequently have extra yolks. My fave thing to do with them is to make lemon curn. It's awesome with scones, muffins, toast, pancakes..... now I'm hungry...

heidisue 01-20-2008 12:03 AM

I eat them :blush: