Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   huh???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313597)

terrismez 01-18-2008 05:25 PM

huh????

What goes in this forum???

this_mel_rocks 01-18-2008 05:26 PM

Re: huh????

Questions, tips, ect... with Elimination Communitcation.

babycakesknits 01-18-2008 05:26 PM

It's for people who don't use ANY diapers :mrgreen:

terrismez 01-18-2008 05:30 PM

:headscratch: I've never heard of that :headscratch: I'll have to stalk this place once it gets moving!!! Always looking to learn new things!!!:giggle2:

mamatutugirls 01-18-2008 05:31 PM

why would you want to do that? Seriously I am just curious no flames please.

shortcake2386 01-18-2008 05:32 PM

we did EC with dd when she was younger and from 4 months - 9 months she was diaper free except at nights...but then she started walking and lost interest in the potty:(

CanadianMaple 01-18-2008 05:50 PM

I know someone who does it. I seriously thought she was crazy but it really works well for them. They do put a cloth diaper on her when they go somewhere but she never uses it. They put her on her little potty and she seems to know to pee, even at 4 months.

eringobragh 01-18-2008 08:53 PM

My friend uses dipes, but after naps she puts her lo on this teeny baby bjorn potty and the lo pees. It saves a dipe, every time!

dragondance 01-18-2008 10:51 PM

Woot, it said for sale items too--gotta put my Potty Bowl/Cozy up here soon!

pixiepunk 01-19-2008 10:33 AM

FYI, EC is not necessarily about *never* using diapers. most mamas use CD's as back-up for EC, at least some of the time. it's about getting to know your child's cues so that when s/he is about to pee or poop you can offer the potty instead of letting them go in their diaper. you may also start to notice certain times that your baby always goes - like 'x' minutes after they nurse, or right when they wake up, or approximately every 'x' minutes or hours. if you know when your child goes, letting them go in the potty not only allows you to save on diaper laundry, it keeps your child clean and sanitary - no sitting around for a half-hour in a wet or poopy diaper. babies are born knowing when they are about to eliminate, and do not find it comfortable to sit in a soiled diaper. by using diapers full-time and changing on a schedule, you are teaching your child to ignore the discomfort associated with sitting in a wet diaper, and to disassociate the feeling of needing to eliminate with the process of eliminating - making it much harder to then turn around and teach them to relearn what that feels like when it's time to do 'potty training.' most EC'd kids are using the potty regularly/reliably with few or no accidents and without any diapers by the time they're about 12-18 months, and virtually all by the time they're 2. i didn't even start with either of my kids till they were over 6 months of age (DD was 10 months), and they were both still 100% out of diapers before they turned 2. but it's not about potty training, that's just a bonus - it's about teaching your child to communicate about needing to pee and poop from the beginning, instead of teaching them it's OK to soil themselves and then turning around and trying to teach them that it's not.

many cultures don't have diapers at all, and this is just the way things are done.

here's some links for those interested. there's also quite an active sub-forum over at MDC for questions and support:

www.diaperfreebaby.org/

www.natural-wisdom.com/

www.ec-information.com

www.pottywhisperer.com

www.TimL.com/ipt

http://www.tribalbaby.org/ECindex.html