Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When did you start solids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31455)

presleycaedmon 08-15-2006 03:29 PM

When did you start solids?

DD is 4.5 months old (exclusively breastfed) and I'm getting TONS of pressure to start her on solids at 5 months. The thought had not even occured to me as she is VERY fat and VERY happy on breastmilk alone! LOL

So, when did y'all start solids?

Tootsiemomma 08-15-2006 03:37 PM

Re: When did you start solids?

I started at 4 months. She was showing all the signs of being ready, she watched us with interest as we ate. So I started with just lunch of rice cereal and then started mixing it with applesauce. We slowly went from there although she didn't start with the meals until after 6 months. She's still bf and eats mostly table food with the occasional quick toddler meal

JackieLyn 08-15-2006 03:37 PM

We started solids at about 5 months... but he was very interested in eating so i started giving him a little here and there...but still almost EBF :)

bundeleh 08-15-2006 03:39 PM

I went back to work when DD was 4 months. She refused, flat-out, to take a bottle of the nice boob milk I pumped, so my caregiver suggested boobie milk mixed with cereal, with applesauce, etc. She ate all and was happy and all was well.

But she was obviously ready, too -- no tongue-thrust reflex, willing to try solids, etc.

Now at 9+ months she is still a champion nurser, but eats a large variety of solid foods (and she has 7 teeth, so she gets a real range!). I enjoy the fact that we can have fun culinary adventures, but still enjoy plenty lovely nursing time together.

Every baby is different.

masonite 08-15-2006 04:09 PM

Camden didn't start solids until just after 9 months!

There's a long reason/story behind this...

teachermama 08-15-2006 04:40 PM

I voted other because my daughter was started at about 5 months and had no issues...then. But my son couldn't tolerate anything and threw up or had horrible pain after eating ANY solid foods and a lot of formulas as well. The nursing was even questionable for awhile with him due to gastric distress. He was actually just over 13 mos. when we finally were able to get solid food into him....and have it stay. This next baby (due in Dec.) I'm going to wait a year. I am SOOOOO tired of (and sorry for) the tummy problems and allergies over here.....I figure why push it???

Samantha 08-15-2006 05:19 PM

I also voted other because "after 6 months" is far off from where we started.

We started at a year. DD is now a happy, healthy, food LOVING machine...

KnottyLDSMama 08-15-2006 05:22 PM

I didn't vote because we're not there yet. I had originally planned to delay as long as possible (until DS had several teeth). Of course, I had also originally planned to ebf. Now that I have to give formula b/c of my low supply, I may be starting them earlier than originally planned, but I won't start them before 6 months either way.

Cottonspuds Boutique 08-15-2006 05:24 PM

I have 4 kids each one was different any where from 4-9 mths.

BUT DD...my youngest, she started cereal at 4mth she was SO ready right form the first bite she swallowed quickly and begged for more. DD still nurses every 4-6hrs and east 3x a day (6-8oz babyfood) plus snacks. With all that said...my dd is only 19.5 pounds 31.5 inches tall and is 15mth.

Shannon 08-15-2006 05:24 PM

I started both my girls on cereal around 4-5 months.