Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Making your own babyfood...gimme the basics! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315157)

2sweetboys 01-20-2008 03:48 PM

Making your own babyfood...gimme the basics!

I would like to make our own babyfood this time around, not only to save money but just to make it more healthy.

What kinds of supplies do I need? I have a food processor and a blender.

DH was wondering if we could just freeze it in ice cube trays and then transfer it to ziploc bags once its completely frozen. Will this work?

What kinds of foods do you use, and is there a 'recipe' for babyfood?

Thanks! Any info would be helpful...I know there is a book you can buy, but is it really necessary?

beckymomof2 01-20-2008 04:02 PM

Re: Making your own babyfood...gimme the basics!

I think you have the right idea. Either a food processor or blender is fine. I would either microwave in a glass dish or you can cook the food over the stove. You can add a little water if it's too thick. Pour into ice cube trays exactly like you said. And no a book isn't necessary AT ALL. There are some web sites for recipes but, come on it's food blended. The recipes are usually after baby has tried different foods you mix them together into different combinations. I usually made squash and a couple other kinds and it lasted for a long time.

calind115 01-20-2008 06:46 PM

check out wholesomebabyfood.com they have alot of information!:thumbsup:

trydog420 01-20-2008 08:15 PM

I used an immersion blender. You know the stick kind? It was so easy and made for an easy clean up. I roasted a lot of my veggies because it just tastes better.

tmfletch 01-20-2008 09:24 PM

I have a steamer that I steamed the food with and then I put it in my MagicBullet blender along with some of the water that I steamed with (to add back some of the nutrients). I would then spoon the mixture into ice cube trays, transfer to freezer bags which I would label with what it was and the date. It was great and so easy!! So much cheaper than buying it by the jar.

april-2006 01-21-2008 09:54 AM

You've got the idea, mama -- I have a very small food processor and that's all I used. I steam on the stove or bake bigger things (like butternut squash) and just blend it up --- add in a little of the liquid used to cook in (except carrots or spinach, too much nitrates, or is it nitrites...), freeze in ice cube trays and transfer to a baggy. Not hard at all.

I used wholesomebabyfood.com also as a good resource. Just gives you ideas of different things to cook/start out for different ages.

Have fun!

Ashley 01-31-2008 05:24 PM

Go to your library and check out the book SUPER BABY FOOD by Ruth Yaron. It will tell you ALL you need to know for homemade baby food...then get a cheap copy off ebay if you want to.

I love the book and use the recipes all the time for adults and kids.

I messed around with homemade baby food for a while and found my hand held blender stick thing ($10 at walmart) worked great...I think a food processor will be wonderful. My blender never worked that great for pureeing smoothly enough for small babies. I eventually tired of the concept and just gave him tons of mashed ripe avocados (which he LOVED) and sweet potatoes, bananas, and stuff that was quick. They grow out of that really smooth baby-food stage pretty quick anyway, but it was fun for a while!

aquaamber 01-31-2008 05:57 PM

The book isn't really necessary. making baby food is easy- steam it(or boil) and blend it! You can freeze it in ice cube trays, but I liked the tiny ziplock containers. They are round and have a lid, and you just set them in warm water to thaw.They're 1 or 1/2 cup size, I cant remember. when baby is older, you can blend table food, too. dont blend rice or potato too long, or it gets pasty. I made all our baby food for the last 2 kids without a book. You really cant go wrong. Making baby food is fun!

S Starr 02-02-2008 02:02 PM

Ditto on the SUPER BABY FOODS book. That is the parenting book I used most from 6-12 months! Tells how to judge if a fruit is ripe, how long it'll keep in the fridge, how to freeze it, what age the ave child's digestive system can handle it prepared diff ways.... If you understand foods really well, you don't need the book, I suppose, but I needed it!

And yes, ice cube trays - covered, ideally.

Some blenders worked well, some didn't. (My mom's vitamix is perfect, but who wants to buy one just to make baby food?) Some fruits/veggies you'd need to strain to get the strings out. Be aware that when you first graduate to a "thick" food like sweet potato, your baby might throw it up just due to texture difference....

There's a list online of baby foods NOT to make yourself -- unless you grew your own veggies and know about the fertilizers/soil. It includes carrots and maybe half a dozen others.

Have fun!

Blurberrybuzz 02-02-2008 02:26 PM

I'm on baby #3 and I've always made my own food. I used a baby food mill - the cheap hand one, a blender, and a wire mesh strainer.
I do a lot of raw baby food so that all the enzymes are intact. You can puree anything in the blender. Freeze in ice cube trays and then store. I love ice cube trays. Now, with #3, I have a champion juicer too. Fresh veggie juice is great for everyone. I've never really spent much time making special food for baby, just fed baby what we eat. I start out with raw fruits and veggies and at around a year I introduce grains and a little later meat. For meat especially, I like to chew it first to get it digesting. It's easier for baby to process then.
I've found that because we eat a lot of veg and raw foods, that it's easy to take our regular meals and just pop them in the blender or through the juicer for the baby. Then I'm not spending a ton of time specially preparing foods just for the baby.