Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Clueless - What do I take to the hospital? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31519)

janellybean28 08-15-2006 08:24 PM

Clueless - What do I take to the hospital?

Well, my DH and I are excited about the arrival of our first little one. He's supposed to be here in three weeks or so. It occured to me that I should probably get my "hospital" bag ready to go...but I have no idea what I'm supposed to pack. What do you take for yourself and your new little one? Any help is greatly appreciated! :goodvibes:

twinsmomkatie 08-15-2006 08:31 PM

Re: Clueless - What do I take to the hospital?

Chocolate.

Everything else is optional.

presleycaedmon 08-15-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie
Chocolate.

LMAO!!

Julesmom23girls 08-15-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie
Chocolate.

:yeahthat:

But seriously. Here are the things I can think of off hand. One of your fav maternity outfits to wear home, because unless you are one of those people who make me nauseated you will still need the maternity stuff for a little while. An easy (but cute) outfit for the baby, what ever toiletries you deem necessary(at least a toothbrush and deodorant), CAMERA(s) if you forget anything don't let it be that DH can go home for the rest of it, house shoes or flip flops that you don't mind having to pitch later (just incase they get gross from blood loss), nursing bra if you plan to BF, Your least favorite pair of undies to wear home incase your pad leaks), a couple of recieving blankets for the baby, your baby book so they can put the footprints in for you, .... I know there are a few more things but this is what I can think of off the top of my head. You can look stuff up on babycenter.com but I tend to think those premade list are a little too extensive, but they do give you a good idea where to start.

OH A fan, I know that sounds really weird to say, but seriously your body will dump all those pregnancy hormones very quickly and you will go through the biggest hot flash of your life. My SIL went to the store and bought me a tabletop fan and it was a life saver. The hospital only had 1 or 2 and that isn't enough for a maternity ward full of PP moms.

If I think of anything else I will post it later. Congrats on your new baby, it is so exciting. I am expecting my 3rd in about 6 wks and it is just as exciting as the first.

I am serious about the camera, chocolate, and the fan.

rpg_mommy 08-16-2006 12:48 PM

Adding to the previous list:

Your birth plan
Carseat
Food - snack crackers, gatorade, etc...they probably won't give you any at the hospital and labor can make ya hungry! (You can always just "say" they are for "hubby" ;) )
Diapers
Back up going-home outfit for you and baby, just in case the ones you picked out get puked on.
Rice bag or other microwaveable heater pad in case you have back labor (that was a GODSEND with me)
Journal, if you want to keep a labor journal
Nursing pillow like a Boppy
Hair ties - last thing you want while pushing is sweaty hair in your face
CD with soothing music on it and a portable CD player

And before you ever get to the "going into labor" point, make up a phone list because when the time comes, you won't remember all the important numbers:
Anyone you need to tell to come to the hospital
Anyone you want to call and inform after the baby comes (pastor, extended family, etc)
Doula
Midwife/Doctor
L&D ward number - if you call before you leave, they can be expecting you and you'll get settled faster
Lactation Consultant/LLL leader

Good luck! :happyclap:

annes_cottage 08-16-2006 03:06 PM

Everything listed above plus extra chocolate! LOL

I take an a couple of extra pair of socks. My feet always get cold!!

Cloth diapers if you are going to use them in the hospital.

I take my birth announcements with and fill them out when baby naps.

I take my hair dryer and curling iron and make up. Makes me feel better to do that after a shower. lol

I also take chewing gum and mints.

I think the other mamas covered everything else.

Prayers for a smooth delivery!! :hugs:

annes_cottage 08-16-2006 03:08 PM

Oh yeah, I also take an outfit for the baby for the birth/hospital pictures and also the diaper bag.

:goodvibes:

Blackbirdlane 08-16-2006 04:50 PM

LOL, you say three weeks away?? this brings back memories of expecting ds, I was going to pack my bags the month or so before and almost 5 weeks early my water broke and here I have nothing packed, LOL.

Remember to take socks, those rooms are always cold.
shampoo/soap for shower, they had nothing in my hospital bathroom
definately snacks, those hospital meals are not very good.
lotion
books

Christy 08-16-2006 06:02 PM

I really liked having my robe. I wore it while I was in labor and after. I always feel uncomfortable having the backside of the gown open. Kwim?

janellybean28 08-16-2006 06:52 PM

So many good suggestions. Thanks momas!