Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chocolate Cupcakes (vegan but oh so gooooooood) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315247)

cearanskylar 01-20-2008 05:28 PM

Chocolate Cupcakes (vegan but oh so gooooooood)

Wacky Cake

preheat oven to 350F
makes 12 cupcakes or a 8-9" round or square cake

Measure and mix ingredients below

1 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
3 TBSP Cocoa
1 TSP baking powder
1 TSP baking soda
1/2 TSP salt

Mix above ingredients well and add next 4 ingredients

1 C warm water
5TBSP veg oil
1 TSP vanilla
1 TSP vinegar

Mix well and put in pans. DO whatever you like for flouring, PAM, silicone etc and bake for 20 mins for cupcakes and check cakes at that time.

Hope you love this recipe as much as we have. All my birthday cupcakes were made with this recipe and a sucker in each one.

I never even knew they were vegan until I was helping my sister find recipes.

CrunchyMama0607 01-20-2008 06:17 PM

Re: Chocolate Cupcakes (vegan but oh so gooooooood)

ooooooh i might make these soon :drif: i like that they're eggless b/c were out of eggs right now :lostit:

sewcute 01-20-2008 06:53 PM

oh! I saved this and will SO be trying it!! Thank you for sharing!

cearanskylar 01-24-2008 05:33 PM

Try these they are great!!!

:bumpsign:

Persikka 01-24-2008 06:14 PM

excellent - i've been making more vegan meals/"treats" and this is right up my ally - thanks!!

Shawna in CA 01-24-2008 06:31 PM

Why the "vegan but oh so goooood" in the subject? That's a tad offensive to those of us who have long enjoyed the yummy goodness of vegan food, and vegan baking. Sometimes, people don't even notice when recipes are vegan. Seriously. :)

I do have to admit, though, one time I was at Whole Foods and bought a vegan cookie from the bakery, and I have to say if it had been my first taste of vegan food, I never would have tried it again. That cookie was TERRIBLE.

A really good, and really fun book you may enjoy immensely is called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World," by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. You can get it on Amazon. In fact, many of us who love that book have uploaded pictures of the cupcakes we've made so other people can see them. You'll NEVER be at a loss of flavor combinations with that book, I promise. Just too much yummy goodness to be had in those pages. MmmmmmMMMM!

Persikka 01-24-2008 09:45 PM

i quiet agree - but i didn't disagree with the title - cause my first taste of vegan food WAS terrible (and how i ever went vegan for a few years after that will always be a mystery to me!)

I want to try that book (vegan cupcakes take over the world)... also - her newer book - veganomicon :) but for now my library has vegan with a vengence waiting for me :)

lulusmom 01-25-2008 02:02 AM

I make this cake all the time! I usually add a couple drops of red food coloring to it and it turns an oh-so-scrumptious really dark sinful color :thumbsup:

Shawna in CA 01-26-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persikka (Post 2603351)
I want to try that book (vegan cupcakes take over the world)... also - her newer book - veganomicon :) but for now my library has vegan with a vengence waiting for me :)

OH MY GOD!!!!!! Don't bother with the library. Do yourself a GIGANTIC favor, and just go buy Veganomicon right now. Go on. I'll wait here.

Got it?

Ok.

Now, open it & start cooking. You can't go wrong with ANY recipe in that book, not that I've made each one yet. I've made a few, though, and the seitan pot pie (the husband hates seitan, so I make it with Quorn chicken tenders, or just skip meat analogs altogether & make it with extra vegetables) is TO DIE FOR. It's a bit labor intensive, so I buy frozen pie crusts (almost all of those are vegan) to help shave off some time & effort, but WOW! Yeah. It is GREAT!

So far, we've not made a dish we didn't like from that one.

We like "Vegan with a Vengeance," quite a bit, and have made lots of things from that one, too.

Can't go wrong with either book.

Mama2Noah 01-26-2008 01:42 PM

has anyone used carob powder instead of cocoa? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to this:blush: