Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   eczema... pleaase tell me all! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3155)

4boys4me 05-03-2006 05:18 AM

eczema... pleaase tell me all!

I have no clue about the stuff.. My youngest has it on his arms and legs and it isn't looking good. I have since changed his laundry soap to free and clear and am not using dryer sheets. I bath him every other night and put Aveeno on him.. This is just what I do.. per what I would think would need to be done.. I have no clue about the stuff and his dr. is the one who told me it was eczema.. Help,lol.. It doesn't look any better at all..

Trishalynn 05-03-2006 11:14 AM

Re: eczema... pleaase tell me all!

The doctor didn't prescribe any cream for it? I've had eczema since I was a little girl so there's tons of stuff you can do, and you really need to just find out what it is thats causing this reaction. I used just dermabase, which is just a lotion with no perfumes or harsh chemicals in it to help moisturize the area and then avoid the things that cause my break outs! for me its perfumes and chemicals and wool. lol. But it can also be caused by different foods! I've heard of dairy doing that to some and I think strawberries too, but try keeping track of foods he eats and if his breakouts get worse after them or try avoiding some for a few days see if that makes a difference! i also had to start only using half the amount of laundry detergent in my clothes, be very careful with what soap you use to wash him ( I only use dove and haven't had problems with that) Shampoo, etc.. Good luck, I hope you find whats causing his!

MomsHelpingMoms 05-03-2006 11:35 AM

PM'd you.

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 05-03-2006 11:39 AM

I would like to know too.. my doc gave my dd some extra strenght hydrocortizone cream, it seems to work sometomes..

MomsHelpingMoms 05-03-2006 11:43 AM

PM'd you too!

milniks7 05-03-2006 11:56 AM

Several of my kiddos ahd eczema...my 11 yo ds had it terribly as a baby...he has none now..but his arms and legs used to look like serious battlefileds! He also has a peanut allergy and asthma but..anyway. We always used aquaphor and it was wonderful..i never liked to use prescription stuff..we only bathed every other day and slathered him up after a bath with cotton pj's over all..to let it sink in overnight, worked well for us. We always put him in only 100% cotton as a baby and i think that helped as well...

Nikki
mom to Shea,Anya,Molly,Luke,Noah,Aedan and Lachlan

allycat 05-03-2006 12:06 PM

I refused to use the prescription steroid cream. Never even got it filled. Very bad for kids.

I used California baby Calendula cream and it went away within a week! I had tried tons of other lotions. Calendula and chamomille are suppossed to be really good for eczema, look for those ingredients. There are a lot of WAHM's on here that sell stuff that have these ingredients. I've heard shea butter too, but not sure about this. We only try to use natural products on our skin with no frag., petrolatum, colors, etc. Much better for eczema too.

A chiropractor and online research has shown that a good amount of good fats can help eczema. Flax seed oil, primrose oil, and cod liver oil can all help, as well as vit. D. 100% cotton clothes are good too. Obviously cloth diapers and cloth wipes help too. Watch what materials they are made of though.

As others have said, allergies could be an issue too, so check that out. I'm in the process of doing this now.

Hope this helps, Alison

4boys4me 05-03-2006 01:08 PM

Thanks everyone.. Where can you find Aquaphor at? I will have to try that... His dr. said to put 1% hydracortizone on him.. so I did that.. maybe it is his bath soap? I have baby magic right now.. I dont know? LOL.. He just started foods and has had this since before then. well, he has been on food since 6months.. thanks everyone!

vick 05-03-2006 02:33 PM

Here's what we do for DD's eczema:
  • Her stuff is washed only in Bi-O-Kleen or 7th Generation sensitive formula
  • We only bathe her a couple times a week, the other days she gets sponge baths
  • When she gets a "real bath" we use Natural Baby Wash from MamaJo's store - you don't want to use something full of synthetic fragrances, colors, etc - think pure and mild
  • ASAP after her bath (as as soon as a body part is wiped off during her sponge bath), we slather on some whipped shea butter from Northern Essence. It's also very pure and natural - I think it's just shea butter, aloe and vitamin E
The rx creams for eczema have been linked to cancer, so personally, I'd never use 'em.

A great site for evaluating products we use on our babes and ourselves is Skin Deep - but be warned that looking at what's in some of the stuff we're used to using can cause you to want to throw everything out and shop only for pur, natural products!

aimee 05-03-2006 02:48 PM

I am glad I am reading this, my poor ds who is 2 months old has broken out in the SO bad in the last couple of days. Could it be the detergent? His whole back is covered, his arms and some of his forehead. What is the BEST solution to it?