Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Where do I start? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316519)

4HisGlory 01-21-2008 09:53 PM

Where do I start?

OK, the thought of ECing really intrigues me.. Ihave a five week old and have lots of questions. The first being, do you spend all day holding you LO on the potty?! She seems to go sooo frequently that I woul dhave time for nothing else! The second being, she ALWAYS poops WHILE i'm nursing her. what would I do about that? If we go out a lot is it going to be a problem...and in order to get to know your babes schedule better, do you write down when she goes and any cues or anything. I also have a two year old that I have been trying to potty train (part of my reason for liking the thought of ECing!!) is it possible to potty train a 2yo and EC a baby?

laceys 01-21-2008 10:32 PM

Re: Where do I start?

I am wondering the same thing with an almost 2yo and a 4mo. I have the added problem of infrequent poops. She only poops maybe every four days. I don't know how I would guess when that would be. She doesn't seem to show any signs.

Earthmama97 01-22-2008 06:28 AM

I'm curious about this as well. We did work with EC a bit with my last but didn't start it until she was several months old. We learned that she would get real still right before she went. She really did great with it. We didn't work it to hard though LOL. But I'm due with number four in a few months and curious about using it with a itty bitty. They go so often. How do you manage etc...My husband isn't really for the idea as everyone thought we were nuts when we did it before LOL but I still want to learn more about what it would entail.

Sunshinesmiles22 01-22-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2&1ontheway (Post 2574861)
OK, the thought of ECing really intrigues me.. Ihave a five week old and have lots of questions. The first being, do you spend all day holding you LO on the potty?! She seems to go sooo frequently that I woul dhave time for nothing else! The second being, she ALWAYS poops WHILE i'm nursing her. what would I do about that? If we go out a lot is it going to be a problem...and in order to get to know your babes schedule better, do you write down when she goes and any cues or anything. I also have a two year old that I have been trying to potty train (part of my reason for liking the thought of ECing!!) is it possible to potty train a 2yo and EC a baby?

I'm by no means an expert (we've been ec'ing since our lo was 4m and she's nearly 10m now), but I do head up an ec group and my gf has been ec'ing, since birth, her 4m old.

"They" say, to begin, observe your lo while on a blanket to see if you can pick up any patterns and cues. That being said, we didn't do that. I wasn't sold on ec in the beginning. What we did at first was we'd put her on the potty (in your case, you can hold lo above sink or support in same position on potty) after each diaper change. We used the sign (thumb between index and middle finger and sort of shake your fist), and said "potty" and made the "psssssss" sound (for both pee and poop). We'd wait a bit, and sometimes do it again. Don't hold/have them sit on potty for too long. You just want to give opportunities.
Other "easy" times are:
Immediately upon waking up in morning. Just pull dipe off and potty lo.
Right after naps

The nursing situation took us awhile to figure out what worked. I used a tupperware with soft edges between my legs, but mine was 4m. My gf with the lo uses cloth prefolds, I think. Just put that on your lap.

If you hear or see your lo going (pee or poop), make the "psssss" sound. It won't take long until they will associate the sound with going.

As for outings, initually, we just used dipes and would take her when we had an opportunity. We also kept a potty in the car. The most important thing is to help them associate the "pssss" with eliminating. We didn't go diaper free or NUTS with ec'ing at first. Like I said, I wasn't sold on it and didn't even know if it WORKED. :lostit:

If you find yourself getting stressed out, back off a little . It's amazing how they remember. Every little bit counts. Even if you "catch" one here and there in the beginning, you're teaching them to be aware of their elimination. Even if it's just that one time.

I've heard that you can have your older one sort of show off as you ec/potty them together. There's a fantastic dvd called "Potty Whispering". They show all sorts of scenarios and it was really helpful for us.

Good luck!

Quinn's mama 01-22-2008 02:04 PM

One thing I would watch for is any jealousy/bad feelings on the part of your older child. I've read some ec stuff that recommends PLing the older one before starting EC with the younger. I wouldn't necessarily say you HAVE to do this, but maybe just be on the look out. I know my 2.5 year old niece got a little upset when she saw my baby on the potty - she was like "Wait a sec,I use my potty bc I'm a BIG girl, how come that baby is doing it?"

Again, not saying this to deter you at all. I love EC!! Just something to keep an eye on, maybe.

hollyday27 01-23-2008 11:28 AM

I'm wondering this also with my 2yr old and 5mo old. DS spent the morning today in underwear, and it was SO stressful for me with the baby and trying to get DS on the potty every 20min. Can't imagine how it would be with two... we'd be on a potty all day, LOL! I casually EC with DS1 before I even knew what it was called. I figured that I could tell when he was about to go so why not save a diaper and put him on the pot? Everyone thought this was totally weird, and I'm ashamed that I got discouraged.

mammaofbean 01-23-2008 01:26 PM

for me it helped to hold my LO on my lap on a prefold for a while diaperless every day. i really got to know him better that way. pulling on and off the breast is always a signal for us for pee poo or spit up (which is often in larger quantity than pee, so nice to catch it in the bathroom). grunting and pulling on the breast is usually a signal for poo or gas for us, or chewing on his hand in the same manner. when i first tried the tense my tummy muscles while holding him against me over the sink it worked! so now i can get him to "try" even when there has been no signal.

we started with dd when she was older, and it went great. she has had more misses since his birth (mostly right in front of the toilet), but we never present potty as a "big girl" thing. some people use diapers, some potty, and some do both. accidents happen and it is okay. she actually loves telling me baby brother needs to potty, has taken to using her bblp again and would like him to use it also.

4HisGlory 01-26-2008 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the help... I'm definitely going to try some of your suggestions!