Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   cues for my 7 month old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317915)

courtney_adkins05 01-23-2008 11:58 AM

cues for my 7 month old?

i kind of 1/2 way ECd dd1 but not really cuz i didnt know what i was doing. she decided to start PLing around 13 months old and would never poo in a diaper since then. she is now 30 months old and is PLd with the exception of night time but usually wakes up barely wet and we rush to the potty.

my 7 month old loves to be in the bathroom with us and i sat her on the potty the other day and she surprised the heck outta me when she pee'd! yay! ok so now that i know she'll do it...she's done it a few times but how do i figure out her cues?

we sign a lot here and she knows nurse and more and other simple signs. i have started signing potty to her everytime we go into the bathroom...but i never know when she needs to go...

help?

kthiday 01-23-2008 01:27 PM

Re: cues for my 7 month old?

I would say the easiest way to start is put her on the pot after long naps and about 15/20min after eating. Start from there until you learn her schedule, but those are pretty much 'givens' and it will begin to show her 'that's where you go potty'. If you have hardwood flooring or tile, let her go w/o a dipe- that for sure is the FASTEST way to figure out when she's going to pee, can be messy too :giggle: Sart watching her carefully and you will begin to pick up on her cues- ie, they will pause momentarily right before they potty, and then continue with whatever they were doing. Many LO potty while they are eating, my DS never did, but RIGHT afterwords. DD potties just as she's finishing eating her bottle. You will learn just by watching. And eventually you can take them to the potty before the go, after you've seen them give their cues. The signing really helped us too. Patience and practice, and as much diaper free time is the best way to start! Good luck.

courtney_adkins05 01-23-2008 02:20 PM

nak

thanks! i have been letting her go diaperless a ton recently and took her when she woke up a little bit ago...and she went again...so weve caught 3 out of the 5 i've been ready for! i've noticed saying & signing potty is working as well as noticing that she heads for the bathroom if she's gotta go! if she goes in the potty she gets a huge smile!!! its so cute!

kthiday 01-23-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by courtney_adkins05 (Post 2589785)
nak

thanks! i have been letting her go diaperless a ton recently and took her when she woke up a little bit ago...and she went again...so weve caught 3 out of the 5 i've been ready for! i've noticed saying & signing potty is working as well as noticing that she heads for the bathroom if she's gotta go! if she goes in the potty she gets a huge smile!!! its so cute!

That's awesome. I also thought that instead of making the cue sound of "ppssss" when she's going, it minght work better for you guys to sign it. That way she's connecting something she's familiar with. Then in a few months you will be at the stage that you can sign it to her, asking if she needs to go. And she will respond accordingly (ideally-LOL)

courtney_adkins05 01-24-2008 09:52 AM

im so excited!!! with the exception of a few times, she has gone everytime she sits on the potty. i am planning on going to BRU for the BB potty, but i am not sure if its worth it. she does not like the little potty that her sister used, does not like the potty seat on the big potty...oddly she seems to like the cold seat on the big potty best *shrug* whatever she's weird like the rest of her family :giggle2:

this morning her wake up pee went a little different. this time i said ok lets go potty & signed it to her. she squealed and started squirming so we got right up and went. BUT she didnt go to the word or sign, i did the psssss sound and she smiled and peed :lostit: then i did the peepee dance cuz i was so excited!!! this was at about 9 and now its 10:50 here and we've been diaperless all morning :)

kthiday 01-24-2008 01:35 PM

WTG!!!!! :thumbsup: