Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Website I just found (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31867)

bdch72 08-16-2006 07:27 PM

Website I just found

I just found this website and now I'm all confused!! :confused:

Here is a quote:

"Even if you muster the strength and dedication to use cloth diapers, your efforts may not be as environmentally friendly as you might think. A study carried out by the United KingdomÁs Environment Agency (EA) concluded that no substantial difference existed between the environmental impact of disposable diapers and cloth diapers (both home laundered and commercially laundered). The study's "cradle-to- grave" analysis considered the environmental impacts associated with disposable diapers, including the raw material supply, manufacturing and use of disposables, and compared that against the environmental impacts of the laundering process associated with using cloth diapers. The EA found that the electricity and fuel used during the laundering process for cloth diapers was just as detrimental to the environment as was the over 2.5 million disposable diapers that enter UK landfills annually."

What do you think and what have you heard????
:headscratch:

marelle4381 08-16-2006 07:30 PM

Re: Website I just found

Well even if that's true, disposable dipes are still dangerous for your babies, especially boys. Google "dangers of disposable diapers".

shell015 08-16-2006 07:32 PM

I think that is POO. Because are they thinking of the landfill of sposies that just one DC would cause??? Helloooo we are soooo being environmentally friendly here. They are dumb!

dirtdartwife 08-16-2006 07:33 PM

sounds confusing but it's basically trying to make a pathetic attempt at validating the non-cloth users excuse of not using CDs because of an increase in energy consumption. I know there is a link (used to have it before the old computer died) that actually did the real study of how much it costs for a household to use and launder their own CDs and the difference was pennies. There was no substantial increase in the utilities.

I personally think it'll all depend on how many kids you have in dipes and how often you wash, if that will be a concern for you (meaning seeing an increase in your utilities). Otherwise, it's just another scare tactic to appeal to the people that don't really want to use CDs.

Otherwise... there are more kids using sposies than cloth (I'm lead to believe anyway) so I think it's safe to deduce that sposies are filling the landfills more than CD homes having increased utilities.

Besides, energy consumption is on a different track than filling landfills when it comes to environmental studies. Not saying one is less than the other.. just saying it's on different tracks.

OneFabMama 08-16-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
sounds confusing but it's basically trying to make a pathetic attempt at validating the non-cloth users excuse of not using CDs because of an increase in energy consumption. I know there is a link (used to have it before the old computer died) that actually did the real study of how much it costs for a household to use and launder their own CDs and the difference was pennies. There was no substantial increase in the utilities.

I personally think it'll all depend on how many kids you have in dipes and how often you wash, if that will be a concern for you (meaning seeing an increase in your utilities). Otherwise, it's just another scare tactic to appeal to the people that don't really want to use CDs.

Otherwise... there are more kids using sposies than cloth (I'm lead to believe anyway) so I think it's safe to deduce that sposies are filling the landfills more than CD homes having increased utilities.

Besides, energy consumption is on a different track than filling landfills when it comes to environmental studies. Not saying one is less than the other.. just saying it's on different tracks.

100% agree!

a_cthelen 08-16-2006 07:37 PM

They probably don't take into account that our washing machines are much more environmentally friendly and only get better with each new model!

twinsmomkatie 08-16-2006 07:41 PM

Um . . . there is no way on earth that my doing 2 extra loads of laundry a week (electricity + minimal detergent) is anywhere close to a Pampers factory cranking out NON-BIODEGRADABLE poop containers.

bdch72 08-16-2006 07:42 PM

Oh good! I'm so glad you guys had responses to this. I've been so excited about starting cd'ing but then I read this :banghead:

I only do it during the day, so we use one disposable during the night. I feel so good about it. Now I just need to start using cloth wipes. :yuck:

CMamma 08-16-2006 07:59 PM

I think it's poo. Where's the research? Who did it? How many CD users were in the study? How many sposie users? What brands of cloth & sposies were they comparing too? What washing methods? Line dry or dryer? Energy star appliance? C'mon.

grisaleen 08-16-2006 08:03 PM

Well phooey on them because I'm using wind power, so my energy is renewable. Take that, disposables!