Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Need recipes for kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319617)

bfoster2000 01-25-2008 07:59 AM

Need recipes for kids

My son's Montessori teacher told me this morning that they've been cooking in the classroom once or twice a week but she's running out of ideas for things the kids can make.

There are 30 children in the class between the ages of 2 and 6. They don't have a full kitchen in their classroom so they're somewhat limited to things that can be made in a crock pot, electric skillet, toaster oven, etc.

In the past they've done pancakes, eggs, mashed potatoes, grilled cheese. They try to keep it at least reasonably healthy and they want the kids to get experience with measuring, pouring, mixing, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks!

TheQueenKat 01-25-2008 08:33 AM

Re: Need recipes for kids

How about fried apples? Not especially healthy, but very tasty and easy to make. Im sure they could be made in the electric skillet, they are usually fried on the stove.

Quote:

Serve these fried apples with breakfast or as a side dish to pork or ham.

INGREDIENTS:
8 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped (can also use Golden Delicious apples)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

PREPARATION:
Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sauté 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are tender. Serve as a side dish for pork or with breakfast. Serves 6.

april-2006 01-25-2008 02:32 PM

Could they make little pizzas in the toaster oven? like using english muffins or even bread, sauce and cheese or other veggie toppings? There's not a lot of mixing and measuring really involved, but you could make it so... like say, put 3 tbsp sauce on your crust, etc..

justkc 01-26-2008 12:55 AM

When I was teaching we would do a soup day - each child would bring a can of veggies and we would pour them all together in crockpot and cook until hot. Healthier and a greater lesson would be to cut fresh veggies and throw them in a crockpot with some chicken or vegetable stock.

jayzee 01-26-2008 05:25 PM

I like the soup idea - kind of like a Stone Soup lesson :)

I was thinking chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce, but I"m not sure if they could be done with the equipment listed. Maybe in the electric skillet or the toaster oven.

Jen

CrunchyMama0607 01-27-2008 02:00 PM

what about homemade chicken strips and they can bring their fav. dipping sauces :goodvibes:

dauphins3 01-31-2008 01:50 PM

How about a stir-fry? You can do it in an electric skillet and make the ingredient measurements in cups and spoons (i.e. 2 cups chopped broccoli, 2 tbs soy sauce, etc.). We did that in home-ec.

There has to be a website devoted to toaster oven or skillet cooking that adapts recipes for this equipment.

tommymommy 01-31-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by april-2006 (Post 2608936)
Could they make little pizzas in the toaster oven? like using english muffins or even bread, sauce and cheese or other veggie toppings? There's not a lot of mixing and measuring really involved, but you could make it so... like say, put 3 tbsp sauce on your crust, etc..

I think this is a great idea and its really not hard to make pizza dough, either. They could learn about yeast and rising bread.

velcromom 02-02-2008 04:25 PM

Do a yogurt bar - serve plain yogurt & the kids prepare a 'buffet' of toppings. They could toast old fashioned oats in the oven and mix in dried fruits, coconut, for a granola style topping. The kids get to do things like slice bananas and other fruits, measure out servings of honey or preserves for each kid to mix into their yogurt, and help chop nuts for topping if someone has one of those choppers with the handle that you push down inside a container, kids love to help with that. (what the heck are those called anyway, lol).

smittybike 02-03-2008 09:46 PM

what about slow cooker oatmeal?