Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Canada Travel Warning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319662)

raelynn 01-25-2008 08:44 AM

Canada Travel Warning

I thought you might get a kick out of this...or maybe be annoyed. BC and Alberta are mentioned a few times, so I posted it here. :lostit:

A website run by the Australian government lists Canada as a country where travelers need to be cautious about terrorism, dangerous winter driving and cold weather conditions.

The 'Smart Traveller' website, run by Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, lists Chile, South Korea and Latvia as countries safer than Canada.

Overall, Canada is listed in the second safest category (out of five categories) on the website -- the 'Exercise caution' section. Out of the G8 nations, the U.S., U.K, France, Germany and Italy also are listed in the 'Exercise caution' category.

"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Canada because of the risk of terrorist attack," says the travel advisory.

"Pay close attention to your personal security and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks."

The website says "heavy snowfalls and ice in the winter" can also make driving dangerous.

"The wind-chill factor can also create dangerously cold outdoor conditions," says the warning.

B.C. and Alberta are both listed as being subject to avalanches. B.C. is also listed as "an active earthquake zone."

Meanwhile, travelers heading to Canada between May and September are also told to look out for tornadoes in some areas.

The website further warns about bush and forest fires which "can occur any time in Canada."

There are also warnings for backpackers about attacks and travelers are advised not to accept food and drinks from strangers at bars.

benjaminsmom 01-25-2008 03:59 PM

Re: Canada Travel Warning

We have to be scary to survive in this extremly dangerous country I guess, LOL! :giggle:

Nathalie 01-25-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raelynn (Post 2605599)
I

The website further warns about bush and forest fires which "can occur any time in Canada."

There are also warnings for backpackers about attacks and travelers are advised not to accept food and drinks from strangers at bars.

:rofl:
Geesh,you gotta watch out for those rogue forest fires,they can spring up on you at any time you know......:beafraid:

And you know,Canadians ARE the shadiest bunch of people I know,they would probably buy you a drink and then proceed to do something REALLY bad to you........like yak your ear off for a while........:yack:

Birdee 01-25-2008 07:13 PM

I find the risk of terrorist attack to be the most far fetched. at least the other things are plausible - if extremely unlikely.

Who knows - maybe Australia is a land free from snow, ice, forest fires, tornados, earthquakes, and even sleazy guys in bars. Sounds like they are used to lollipops and rainbows? (okay I am just joking so please don't be offended if you are Australian)

SunflowerMommy 01-26-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathalie (Post 2610040)
:rofl:
Geesh,you gotta watch out for those rogue forest fires,they can spring up on you at any time you know......:beafraid:

And you know,Canadians ARE the shadiest bunch of people I know,they would probably buy you a drink and then proceed to do something REALLY bad to you........like yak your ear off for a while........:yack:

:rofl2:

I really don't know what else to say about that. Does anyone in the world even know a darn thing about Canada? (expect the fact that we all live in igloos:giggle: )

Bella Catalina 01-26-2008 05:49 PM

As an Aussie I am embarrassed that my goverment assumes its people are really that dumb. Canada is probably safer than Australia, especiallly when it comes to forest fires, freaks in bars, and terrorism. lmao, but you got us beat with the freezing conditions ;)

hotfudge73 01-26-2008 06:40 PM

It is -12 at the moment, here....but will be on the lookout for forest fires...make sure your igloos are secure incase of earthquakes....and don't forget your snowshoes and skies!!! LOL!!!

SunflowerMommy 01-26-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotfudge73 (Post 2618291)
It is -12 at the moment, here....but will be on the lookout for forest fires...make sure your igloos are secure incase of earthquakes....and don't forget your snowshoes and skies!!! LOL!!!

LOL I've got the sled dogs warming up in the driveway as we speak!

mum2James&Julia 01-26-2008 06:53 PM

Dude, they have SPIDERS in Australia. Big ones. And other weird creatures that could eat me. And they think that WE'RE the dangerous ones? :headscratch: :giggle:

PS. Yeah yeah, I know I'm from Ontario and I don't belong here but I couldn't help myself :mrgreen:

benjaminsmom 01-27-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunflowerMommy (Post 2617889)
:rofl2:

I really don't know what else to say about that. Does anyone in the world even know a darn thing about Canada? (expect the fact that we all live in igloos:giggle: )

I think that is all they know. DH was watching an old this HR has 22 min the other day and they were in Arkansas I believe and they were asking people to congratulate canada on keeping their igloo parlament buildings from melting... it was pretty funny that ppl actually thought it was true. But the funniest thing was yet to come when they talked to the then govenor Mike Huckabee and got him to say it. LMAO!!!