Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   EC ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323186)

MeliMom22 01-29-2008 09:18 AM

EC ?

Can I just do EC for BMs? My DS is 12 months old & I have been interested in EC but never got around to doing the research...blah, blah, blah. I have tried a couple of times to put him on the potty when he is getting ready to go but he just screams & won't go. Did I wait too long? I didn't mind BM in my diapers before but now that he is eatting "real" food it is a little on the yucky side & I thought this would be a good fix. Any info is so appreciated. TIA!

ocanfield 01-29-2008 11:15 AM

Re: EC ?

You can definitely start late...it just might take awhile longer, that's all! At that age, we caught some poos. If you think about it, it's a lot easier for them to see they did something in their diaper when its poo...each time Natalie had an accident, I just reminded her were it was supposed to go, and showed her when I flushed it in the big potty
Hope that helps some!

duckieheart 01-31-2008 01:44 PM

We started with just BMs. She was 5 months old, but Im sure it cant hurt to try.

youmb00 01-31-2008 03:04 PM

you absolutely can! in our case, pees are easier, for some reason.

Don't force your DS if he resists. keep trying and distract him with toys, etc. Try changing locations also until something works out. or just start by signaling (noise, sign, etc) every time he has BM. good luck!

akrancher 02-01-2008 11:31 AM

pees are easier for us too!

I wanted to start EC/early potty training or whereever we fall when I starting knowing when DS was going to have a BM at about 13 months. I thought, hey, one less diaper to spray off. Well, instead of catching the BMs, we are doing great with the pees. He really still likes to poo standing. He also has started going less which makes it a little harder for me to catch them when they come.

Start with what seems easiest. THey will follow your lead.

Blurberrybuzz 02-01-2008 12:51 PM

You can definately do poos only. IF you can catch them with great regularity. I always have the most trouble with them. We use the toilet ASL sign and when it clicks in the brain that the sign and action go together, we're home free. No more scary trips to the store waiting for that BM. We also use a low pitched hmmm sound. It's easy for babes to do along with you when they're pooing.
For me, pees have been easier. They're easy to time. You can always give the babe the opportunity to go when they wake and about 15-20 min after the nurse. Even catching 3 or 4 pees a day makes a huge difference in the amount of laundry done.