Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need encouragement (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32325)

lilmama2dsndd 08-18-2006 10:05 AM

Need encouragement

Ok, last night I went to my local LLL meeting, hoping for support and encouragement to continue to strive for my long-term nursing goal of 3 years. DD will turn 1 next week, and I realize that 3 years is a long term goal, but it is one I really want to reach. I have always had supply problems because I work and have to pump during the day and no pump is as effecient as my DD is at nursing, so my supply has gotten worse and worse, to the point that 1/2 the breastmilk that goes with DD to DCP is my sister's (thank god for her abundant supply). Well, instead of getting support and encouragement I was told (by the LLL leader) that I needed to be more realistic and that DD may just not nurse until 3 years and she made a rude comment about my sister literally being a cow and still pumping even though her DD doesn't ever need a bottle (which she does to provide milk for both me and the local milk bank). After I left, I cried all the way home and as I put my LOs to bed. Someone PLEASE, just tell me I can make it!

Christy 08-18-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Need encouragement

WHAT! That's awful!! I'm sorry she made you feel like that. I think your doing great for all your doing!!! Keep it up, your dd will have the effects of your efforts for the rest of her life!

I don't know about this scientifically or anything but I was the only child my mother didn't bf but I am the only one who has bone density problems. I have wonder if there is a connection to bf'ing and ostreoposis (misspelled terribly sorry).

rpg_mommy 08-18-2006 12:17 PM

You can do it girl! :hugs:

What a horrible thing for her to say to you :( That makes me so upset. I'm starting my application to be a LLL leader tonight and I couldn't imagine saying something like that to a member. Is there a co-leader at your group? I'd tell them what she said and that that is no way for a woman who is supposed to be PROMOTING breastfeeding to act!

:hugs: some more! I think 3 years is a wonderful goal!

Willys Woolies 08-18-2006 12:23 PM

That was not nice! I certainly hope she didn't intend to be so rude and perhaps she was trying to say something that didn't come out right! Do you think that perhaps she didn't word what she was trying to say correctly???? Perhaps she was trying to prepare you in case your dd decides she doesn't want to nurse that long. Most times the child dictates when nursing will stop....even though your goal is set for 3 years, DD may have other things in mind! We have to "go with the flow" so to speak and be ready for anything when it comes to our little ones!

I think it's awesome your sister pumps for the milk bank! I wanted to do that but we didn't have any local places here so it wouldn't work out! Kuddos to her!

TwinKristi 08-18-2006 12:35 PM

I think that's awful! If YOU and your DC wanna BF for 5yrs than so be it! Its really unfair for her to say that to you, especially as a LLL leader!!! I am shocked!! Usually they're the ones pushing you toreach whatever goal you have! Jeeze!! And the comments about your sister?? I wish I had a sister who was able to help ME like that when I had supply issues. I would have been able to BF longer!! Big :hugs: to you!! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience last night!

mama2cntrykids 08-18-2006 12:40 PM

:hugs: :hugs: You CAN do it. Have you tried oatmeal and fergeek (I'm not sure what it's called, someone help me out?). Remember to drink TONS of water too. I'm going back to work Monday and I worry about my supply too. Tweety is my last baby (probably??):cry:. And I'd really like her to beable to self wean. My first son I weaned because I was preggo and it drove me BONKERS when he nursed (18 mo). My ds#2 I also weaned because I was just being dumb and selfish, really no good reason, kwim?

As far as that comment. How RUDE! I can't believe a LLL leader would say such a thing:yuck: .

lilmama2dsndd 08-18-2006 12:47 PM

Well, DD LOVES her booby-time, so her trying to wean wasn't even part of my concern, my concern was about my supply which was completely ignored so she could tell me to get real about my goals and flatly insult my sister (which she has done several time before, both to me and to my sister's face). Luckily she isn't the regular leader of the evening group, our regular leader recently had another baby so she wasn't able to attend. I guess at the next meeting if our regular leader isn't there I will simply return the book I borrowed and leave. Seems like every time I am at a meeting with this particular leader running there she has something negative to say to me or about my sister. And it started at the first meeting either of us attended (and we go to different meetings so it wasn't like she knew we were related until about 2 months ago). It just feels like she has something against me, and I have no clue what or why. Kind of reminds me why I don't do playgroups. I enjoy the contact with other nursing moms and this meeting is the one thing a month I do for myself, I just never expected to be made to feel certain that I would fail at my goals and my DD would reject me, before last night that though had not crossed my mind, now it won't leave and I can hardly pump anything from the stress. :cry: I am just so mad!!!! Sorry, I just really needed to vent!

Willys Woolies 08-18-2006 01:03 PM

Sheesh...you would think she could have at least provided you with some info on how to keep your supply up!!!

www.ClothDecisions.com 08-18-2006 01:08 PM

Okay, I am steaming mad!!!!!!!! And since I have read nowhere in anyone else's response...I have to say that that women is a mean spirit! She has no business being in a position that requires her to be supportive and informative. You have a wonderful goal and I hope you make it. Our DD's are the same age and I am still bf'ing her with the goal of 4 years...YES, 4 YEARS! She is our 1 and only (medically cannot have any more) and if someone treated me the way you were, I would say, "Man, you must not be very happy in your personal life to think that attacking me or my sister would make you feel any better."

Congrats on getting this far, I know you will get all the way!!!!:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

scwendy 08-18-2006 01:44 PM

Is there anyone to whom you can report that LLL leader's behavior?

That was rude, insensitive and totally against everything that LLL promotes!

I think it is a wonderful goal. My goal is for Grace to self-wean, whenever she is ready.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: