Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   new vax requirements here (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32358)

*~Mindy~* 08-18-2006 11:25 AM

new vax requirements here

isnt this interesting its written like...they have so much freaking power over you and you better have it done :sigh:
i hate that they can do stuff like this :(

http://www.smcps.k12.md.us/081506rel2.shtml

SoftBumBaby 08-18-2006 11:42 AM

Re: new vax requirements here

If the missing documentation is not presented to the school by the due date, the student will not be allowed back into school until the required records have been provided.

This part can't be true. They need to re-word this document. In Maryland, you can certainly get an exemption. Do you have one already? I would call the school but be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry polite about it b/c I've learned in general that when you try to go against the grain in school, it can be taken out on your child in various ways. (Long story.)** Anyway...I would call, say "I received this document, blah blah, and I just wanted to make sure that our exemption due to (blah blah reason--medical, religious, etc.) is still valid, because the language on the document doesn't include it."

**ETA: Your school might be cool with non-vax, but you never know, so you probably want to be very polite and patient. Keep in the back of your mind that this might sound weird or "different" to them, and present it in a patient way, and all should be fine. The fact is that legally, your child can attend school anyway. But they don't have to like it. You want to try to help them to like it. :) It will make it easier on everyone. Don't know why I came out with that one--you seem very polite--it's just something I was thinking of the other day when a bunch of parents at Colin's preschool got way defensive on the subject of vax, and I realized I should not have launched right into it--I should have understood that from their POV, it might sound really different.

*~Mindy~* 08-18-2006 11:52 AM

my kids not in school, lol, but i was looking up some high school stuff for a friend and came across it and i was like :banghead: i cant believe how its worded!!!

SoftBumBaby 08-18-2006 11:55 AM

Oh! I see! I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. Yes, it's worded as if kids will not be allowed into public schools, period, unless they're standard-vaxed.

I hate that too.

Our former pediatrician did that as well. One time Colin was getting three shots in one sitting, and although back then I knew nothing about vax/autism or anything like that, I was a little surprised. I said, "Does he really have to get so many shots all at once?" and she got angry and said, "Do you want your child to get into public school or do you want a hassle?" Now...she didn't *specifically* say, "Your child must vax to get into public school," and she didn't specifically say "This exact vax is required to get into public school," but look at the way she worded that. I was terrified into accepting the shots. :( All 24 of them in a 24-month period. :banghead:

urchin_grey 08-20-2006 02:31 PM

Wow, 24 in 24 months??? My son has had nine altogether and he's 15 months. We had planned to delay them but after hurricane Katrina they had STONGLY recommended that everyone who came back get up to date on a few certain vax's so we all got them. (He's was only 4 months then.)

Anyway... yeah, that form isn't right. But I guess they are just trying to make sure that as many kids as possible get them. I mean, its one thing to be against vaxing but think of all the people that don't care one way or the other and are just too lazy to go do it. (Or can't afford it.) And if everyone that couldn't afford it didn't get their kids vaxed, a lot of kids would wind up sick but that's just my opinion.

bobandjess99 08-20-2006 03:05 PM

Gee...a press release by a school that makes it sound like vaccination is "mandatory".....well, color me SHOCKED.....
Sigh
I was at least somewhat comforted that my stepsons school handbook does at least have a blurb stating our state exemption law.

togg_mama 08-20-2006 03:10 PM

everything's "mandatory."

whether they can make you do it is another thing. :hugegrin:

my guess is they worded it that way so all the lazy people who don't care enough to keep up on vaxxes (notice I'm not speaking of those who don't vax by CHOICE) will be scared into action.

talk to your doc and see what they recommend.

jennyofthemoon 08-20-2006 03:20 PM

lol...yeah, our district has a thing about not letting kids go to the school without vax's either. When Abby went for her one year, they said they needed a copy of her vax book, so I said we don't vax. We do, however, have a waiver on file with our fp, and I could have him fax it over ot you. She said no, no kids without vax's in the school. I asked for a meeting with the principal, she asked why, I said because they were giving out information that was against the law. The subject was dropped.

Our district does, however, require that children how are not vaxed stay out of school when there is an outbreak, as they are more likely to be transmitters of the disease. Shows how much trust they have in those vax's they love so much, huh? lol

*~Mindy~* 08-20-2006 07:59 PM

yah....kids w/o vax are going to transmit it to kids who have the supposed immunites. :sigh: