Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Your favorite bread recipe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324659)

annikas_mommy 01-30-2008 07:08 PM

Your favorite bread recipe?

We bake all our own bread, which we love, but lately we've been stuck in a rut doing the same kind of loaves over and over. (Not that that's a bad thing, since we're all bread fiends, but some variety is nice sometimes.)

Since you mamas tend to inspire me, I thought I'd post here asking for recipes as well as perusing all my cookbooks to see if there are any recipes I've overlooked...

ETA: I'd especially love to find a good recipe using barley flour...

yankeeterrier 01-30-2008 10:40 PM

Re: Your favorite bread recipe?

Here's a fav quick bread

3c self rising flour
1/4 to 1 c sugar depending on your taste
1 bottle beer (any kind, can be skunky) room temperature

Mix together and bake at 350 until toothpick in center comes out clean
usually about 45 min

The amount of sugar can be varied to taste and what you want to use it for. I like it sweet and just eat it as a snack.

A really good variation is to go with the 1/4c sugar and add a cup of shredded cheese. This is good with chili.

Can't be any simpler

Jez

esoloj 01-31-2008 09:25 AM

Here's a link to one of my fav's, Marilyn's Famous Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

taximom 01-31-2008 01:15 PM

What is the recipe for the bread you make all the time?

annikas_mommy 01-31-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taximom (Post 2659114)
What is the recipe for the bread you make all the time?

I just typed these out for another thread, so it's easy enough to post them here. ;)

Here are the three we use most. We bake bread two or three times a week.

DELECTABLE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
makes 2 loaves

3/4 cups milk
3 Tbls sugar
4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup molassas
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 pkgs (4 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt, butter, and molassas. Cool to lukewarm. Measure warm water into large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, 2 cups of whole wheat flour, and 2 cups of all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flours to make soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide in half; shape into two round loaves and place seam-side down on a cornmeal-covered baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Bake at 400 degrees 20-30 minutes or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.

KANSAS HONEY-WHEAT-SUNFLOWER BREAD

makes 2 loaves of melt-in-your-mouth wholesome goodness

2 cups lukewarm water (120-130 degrees)
2 3/4 - 3 1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
1 Tbls sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder*
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted sunflower nuts

*NOTE: I often don't have milk powder on hand, so I just leave it out and change the 2 cups of lukewarm water to 1 cup lukewarm water and 1 cup lukewarm milk.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, 2 cups of the white flour, the yeast and the sugar. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for three minutes. Cover; let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes). The mixture will become spongy.

Stir in whole wheat flour, oats, milk powder, butter, honey and salt. Mix well. Stir in sunflower nuts. Stir in as much of the remaining white flour as you can.

Turn out onto a floured surface; knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that's smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes). Place the dough in a greased bowl; turn. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled (30-45 minutes).

Punch the dough down. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Grease two 8x4x2 in loaf pans OR prepare a baking sheet with cornmeal.

Shape each half of dough into a loaf. Place in or on the prepared pans. Cover; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 30 minutes).

Bake loaves in a 375 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaves from pans. Cool on wire racks.

HEARTY WHOLE-GRAIN BREAD
makes 2 loaves

1/2 cup cracked-wheat or cracked-wheat cereal
2 1/2 - 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water (120-130 degrees)
1 3/4 cups dark rye (light rye may be substituted)
1 beaten egg yolk
1 Tbls water

In a bowl, pour enough BOILING water over the cracked-wheat to cover; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well.

In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup of the white flour, the yeast and salt. Add the warm water. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for three minutes. Stir in the cracked-wheat, rye flour, and as much of the remaining white flour as you can.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining bread flour to make a moderately stiff dough that's smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 hour).

Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Grease a large baking sheet. Shape each half of dough into a round loaf. Place on the prepared baking sheet; flatten slightly to 5 inches in diameter. With a very sharp knife, make 3 or 4 slashes 1/4 inch deep across the top of each loaf. Cover; let rise until nearly doubled (30-45 minutes).

Brush tops of loaves with a mixture of the egg yolk and the 1 tablespoon of water.

Bake in a 375 degree oven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer to wire racks; cool.

Persikka 02-02-2008 09:29 AM

i just bought some WW flour and yeast - i gotta try those!
(wait - i need AP flour first!)

annikas_mommy 02-04-2008 03:27 PM

Thanks for the couple of ideas so far, mamas!

Are there no other bread bakers out there?

:pray:

BoysMama 02-05-2008 11:31 AM

I usually make either white or wheat bread which isn't too exciting but I have made
OATMEAL DINNER ROLL (they are nice and different)

2 C. Water
1 C. Quick Oats
3 Tbs. Butter
2 tsp. Yeast
⅓ C. Warm Water
⅓ C. Brown Sugar
1 Tbs. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
4 -5 1/4 C. Flour
Instructions:
Bring 2 c. Water to boil. Add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 min. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm. Dissolver yeast in warm water. Add oat mixture, sugars, salt and 4 c. flour; beat until smooth. Knead in remaining flour. Let raise. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

It's been a long time since I made them but I remember them being really moist and yummy!

justkc 02-07-2008 12:19 AM

I am still intimidated by yeast/raising/kneading but I make easy breads :) Tonight I made Whole Wheat Beer Bread. It was yum!

Goddess_Heather 02-07-2008 01:02 AM

Sourdough all the way.

I learned that a good sourdough starter is like a pet. You have to tend to it everyday. Love it and feed it.

Sourdough Starter Recipe
Here is an excellent Sourdough Starter that you can use to add rich flavor to bread and rolls. This starter takes time to mature, but the taste is well worth the wait. Nothing beats the tang and chewy texture of sourdough bread, especially when it comes straight out of your own oven. From its firm crust to its soft interior, this bread is in a class of its own.

4 Cups
10 days 10 days prep
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups water, warm
1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2 cups white bread flour
1 cup white bread flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar

DAY 1 Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup of the warm water in large glass bowl.
DO NOT USE METAL BOWL.
Sprinkle yeast into water; let stand 10 minutes.
Stir in remaining 1-1/2 cups water and 2 cups flour.
Beat until smooth.
Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and leave overnight at room temperature.
DAY 2 Add Day 2 ingredients 1 cup white bread flour, 1 cup milk and 1/2c. sugar to Sourdough mixture in bowl.
Beat until smooth.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate.
DAY 3 Stir until smooth.
Refrigerate.
DAY 4 Repeat Day 3.
DAY 5 Repeat Day 2.
DAY 6-10 Stir well once a day.
Your sourdough starter should have grown to at least 4 cups, and should be the consistency of thin pancake batter.
If it is thicker, add lukewarm water until the desired consistency is achieved before using it in a recipe.
Give 1 cup away to a friend.
Use the rest for your own baking.
When your Sourdough is down to 1 cup OR once every 10 days, feed it as on Day 2 and let it grow again.
You can freeze Sourdough mixture for up to 3 months.
Before using, thaw slowly in refrigerator for 24 hours.
Feed it as on day 2 and leave at room temperature overnight before using.

The recipe...

San Francisco Style Sourdough French Bread Recipe

2 loaves
5 hours 4 hours prep
1 1/2 cups water, warm
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup sourdough starter
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, mix with starter.
Add 3 cups flour, sugar and salt, stir vigorously 2 or 3 minutes.
Cover with a cloth, set in warm place and let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until doubled in size.
Mix baking soda with 1 cup of remaining flour and stir in, the dough should be stiff.
Turn out onto a floured surface and begin kneading.
Add the remaining 1 cup of flour or more if needed to control stickiness.
Knead until satiny, between 5 and 10 minutes.
Shape into 2 oblong loaves or 1 large round loaf, place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
Cover with a cloth, set in warm place free from drafts and let rise 1 to 2 hours or until nearly doubled in size.
Before baking, brush outside with water and make diagonal slashes across the top with a sharp single-edge razor blade.
Put a shallow pan of hot water in the bottom of the oven.
Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes or until the crust is a medium dark brown.