Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Family Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Fenugreek and PCOS (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324745)

cakeums 01-30-2008 08:06 PM

Fenugreek and PCOS

So, I remember reading a while back that Fenugreek is used for more than just stimulating the milk supply - that it is also used to treat insulin resistance/high glucose levels, among other things.

I just did a fairly quick bit of research, and Fenugreek contains diosgenin, which is used to make synthetic estrogen. Synthetic estrogen is what drugs like Clomid and Femara are.

Those two things together are really giving me hope that taking Fenugreek will help me in place of taking Metformin, since I don't have any right now. I was hoping diet and exercise alone would do the job (of course I know they help) but I'm going to take my Fenugreek. I've been taking 3 capsules a day before bed, since DD only nurses in the mornings and I figure even a little could potentially help my supply, but I'm going to go back to taking 10 capsules a day.

Everything does say that Fenugreek should be avoided during pregnancy because it can stimulate the uterus to contract. Does anybody know something about this? Should I stop after I O? I know taking Metformin through pregnancy brings the average m/c rate in PCOS women to about 10% as opposed to 50%+, and Metformin also helps with insulin resistance, but it obviously doesn't have the same composition as Fenugreek.

SBaby1224 01-30-2008 09:02 PM

Re: Fenugreek and PCOS

Another thing is Vitex. Really good for pcos and supposed to be really good for milk.

cakeums 01-30-2008 10:00 PM

I did some reading on Vitex and it looks like it's mainly used to strengthen progesterone, not for insulin resistance. I really need something that will improve my egg quality by reducing my testosterone levels (which reducing glucose levels will do).

Malania 01-31-2008 06:01 AM

I have never heard of fenegreek. Good luck!

tjsacosta 01-31-2008 06:11 AM

I am also interested in this. I'll be checking back.

cheygirl 01-31-2008 09:02 AM

interesting!! I've used fenugreek occasionally to stimulate milk supply, but have never heard about the PCO's connection before. But i've also heard that it's not safe for pregnancy. There's good info on that at kellymom. For that reason i've stopped using it altogether, being as i'm not always certain of when i O.

Also keep in mind that it's got some other side effects...in large doses it gave me a headache and (tmi alert!) the runs.

SBaby1224 01-31-2008 09:17 AM

Well I took Fenugreek and met after Kaitlyn was born because my milk was not coming in. I used both to control my hormones and help supply. I personally was never able to produce enough with out help. My experience was while taking the fenugreek and the met I still was craving sugar which is part of IR. Last month I started taking Vitex and since then have not been craving the sugar. Here is link to a website I just read. To me if you are controlling the endocrine system and the pituitary then you control the IR and the progest. as well. This is just my opinion. Here is the link: http://www.pcoscoach.com/vitex.html
Look it up and read some more. There is a lot of information out there. The lady who helped my with my breastfeeding was also pcos and she told me to start taking vitex. Since she had such great success I figured it can't hurt and if it keeps me from having to go back to the infertility dr even better. I hope you find something that works. I am going to read some more on the fenugreek to see if that is something else I should try.

akrancher 01-31-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnporter (Post 2654037)
I know taking Metformin through pregnancy brings the average m/c rate in PCOS women to about 10% as opposed to 50%+, and Metformin also helps with insulin resistance, but it obviously doesn't have the same composition as Fenugreek.

Do you remember where you read this? I am interested in reading this study on met and miscarriage.

akrancher 01-31-2008 11:16 AM

have you read up on soy isoflavones? I have read that the chemical structure is similar to human estrogen. I looked into taking a pill form, but was turned off by some of the research I found. So instead of the concentrated pill form, I am getting my soy through food.

It is sometimes called nature's Clomid.

just another thing to check out:goodvibes: good luck

cakeums 02-01-2008 01:59 AM

Here's one article that mentions Metformin and miscarriage: http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and...nt-miscarriage My numbers were a little off (I was going off memory) but I thought that was really interesting. I would definitely believe it to be true for myself.

I checked out Kellymom, I guess I will take the Fenugreek till I O and then stop. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will help. Is it too late to start Vitex? I haven't been able to find it yet and I'm on CD6 now; if I am going to have a good O it'll be around CD 21 or so. Probably too late for it to help this month, I guess, and by the next time we'll have the chance to TTC I'll have had plenty of time to see an RE beforehand.

I totally forgot about soy! I'll have to do some research on it.