Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Wheat & Dairy Free (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325893)

mybabylove99 01-31-2008 10:25 PM

Wheat & Dairy Free

Does anyone have any good wheat-free, dairy-free food suggestions? Either recipes or just foods they have bought that are easy to make? I have a 2 month old and have cut these out for breastfeeding and it seems to be helping, but I looking for some ideas. I just recently bought some rice flour. Haven't used it yet though. :stir: :carrot: :broc: :yoga:

momo5 01-31-2008 11:06 PM

Re: Wheat & Dairy Free

I am VERY allergic to dairy. anaphylactic Although cannot think of recipes off the top of my head, I use Rice milk as a substitute. and the beauty of dairy free (other than cheese and sour cream of course) is you can use just about any liquid to sub. However, it does change the texture of bread, sometimes like sourdough is more course, but most everything else I make the rice milk works great. They have cheese and sour cream that is soy based, but alot of people that have dairy issues also have soy so I would be careful going that way. I have not done a ton with the rice flour so not much input there.

HTH

Blurberrybuzz 02-02-2008 01:19 PM

I love spelt, quinoa and kamut.
My fav quinoa recipe:
cook 1 cup of quinoa (just like rice - 1C quinoa 2 C liquid)
Chicken stock or veggie stock is great for the liquid
Cook 1/2 C wild rice
Combine and add fresh raw veggies:
brocolli, carrots, little green onion, peas, cherry tomotoes, olives
Dress with:
6 oz of your favorite oil I like a mix of olive, avocado and walnut
1 T good mustard
2T raw honey
some spike seasoning
2 oz raw apple cider vinegar
1-2T tahini
shake it in a jam jar and pour over the salad. It's super good!
It keeps in the fridge for a few days too.

Roo’s Cookies
1 Cup butter or 1/2 Cup coconut oil
1 Cup Raw Honey
2 T brown rice syrup
1T molasses
2 eggs
1T vanilla
1/2 C water
1 ½ Cup spelt flour
½ C ground flax seeds
1C ground almonds and walnuts
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 Cups or until the right consistency of Old Fashioned Oats
8 oz of chocolate or carob chips or your favorite dried fruit

Heat oven to 350˚F
Beat together butter, honey , brown rice syrup and molasses. Add the ground seeds and nuts. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add water. Add combined flour baking soda and salt. Mix well. Stir in oats, chocolate chips or fruit. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield 4-5 dozen
Bar cookies: Bake 30-35 minutes in 13x9 baking pan.
These cookies are also affectionately known as poo cookies. The flax and oatmeal help to keep you regular! Great for constipated kids

If you don't do butter, use coconut oil. The good stuff. It's amazing and so good for you.

Victoria’s Natural Butter Cake
2/3 Cup butter
1 Cup Honey or 1 ½ Cups sucanat
2 Eggs
1T Vanilla
1tsp Almond
2 ¾ Cups white spelt flour
2 ½ tsp Baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ C almond or rice milk

Heat oven to 350˚F
Butter and flour 13x9 baking pan or two 9 inch or two 8 inch round layer pans
In a large mixer bowl, mix butter, and honey or sucanat until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and almond, mix well. On low speed, mix in flour baking powder and salt alternately with milk. Pour into pans. Bake 45 minutes oblong or 30 minutes in rounds or until done.

No sugar frosting:
One block (8oz) of cream cheese – room temp
Honey
Cocoa powder
In a mixer, beat cream cheese until really creamy. Add honey until frosting consistency, add cocoa powder. You have perfect chocolate cream cheese frosting!
Cheesy Squash and Rice Pie
1 tsp olive oil
3 Cups sliced yellow squash (about ½ pound sliced ¼ inch thick)
2 Cups sliced zucchini
1 Cup chopped onion
1 ½ tsp chopped fresh or ½ tsp dried rosemary
1 ½ Cups cooked rice
3 Tablespoons minced fresh chives or green onions
Cooking Spray
½ Cup rice milk
¼ Cup garlic and herbs soff spreadable cheese (such as rondele)
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add yellow squash, zucchini, onion and rosemary. Cook 15-20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Cool.
3. Combine squash mixture, rich and chives in a large bowl. Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Combine milk and remaining 5 ingredients; stir well with a whisk. Pour over squash mixture. Bake at 350˚ for 45 minutes or until center is set.
Yield: 4 large servings.
Summer Squash and Corn Saute
This side is great with roasted chicken or ham

1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 Cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
1 Cup sliced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Cups diagonally sliced zucchini
2 Cups diagonally sliced yellow squash
½ tsp salt
1 - 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles – you can use one fresh chile as well deveined and deseeded
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
½ Cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium high heat. Cook cumin seeds 30 seconds or until toasted, stirring frequently. Add corn, onion, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add zucchini, yellow squash, salt and chiles and cook 6 minutes or until tender Stir in cilantro. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Yield 6 cups
Sunflower Seed Pate
1C soaked sunflower seeds
¼ C lemon juice
½ tsp sea salt or celtic salt
½ tomato
¼ C celery
2 Cloves garlic

Run through champion juicer with the blank on. Add EVOO to improve texture and consistency if necessary. Serve

Corn Chowder Salad
Raw corn off the cob, or frozen corn
Red onion
Tomato
Green Pepper
Anaheim Pepper
Kolrobi
Olive Oil
Salt
Avocado
Olives

Combine and serve.

Tahini Salad Dressing
Tahini
Lemon Juice
Garlic
Cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine and serve

Avocado Salad
6 ripe avocados cubed
Cherry tomatos cut in half
A big bunch of cilantro - chopped
Juice of two limes
Cumin
Salt and Pepper

Combine avocados, tomatoes and cilantro in a bowl. Combine lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over salad, toss and serve. Excellent with little green onions too.

Spinach Wraps #1
3 avocados mashed with lime juice, salt and pepper
Bag of spinach
2 cartons of cherry tomatoes

Take two leaves of spinach, apply avocados, wrap around a tomato and secure with a tooth pick. Excellent appetizer

Spinach Wraps #2
One tube of soft goat cheese – you may mix out ½ and ½ with cream cheese for a less goaty taste
Chopped chives
Bag of spinach
2 cartons of cherry tomatoes

Take two leaves of spinach, apply goat cheese and chives, wrap around a tomato and secure with a tooth pick.

Vick’s favorite Veggie Juice
6 carrots
2 or 3 sweet apples
1 medium beet
1 lemon
thumb piece of ginger
handful of parsley

Juice together and serve. Wonderful for building the blood and supporting the liver and gallbladder. You can adjust the amount of apple to counter the earthy taste of the beet.

Popcicles
Juice together, carrots and apples. Pour into popcicle molds and freeze.
Juice together carrots, apples, grapes and blueberries. Mix with some yogurt and honey. Pour into popcicle molds and freeze. Adding pineapple juice or chunks is always good too.

Tamari Nuts
1 C almonds
1 C walnuts
1 C cashews
1 C pumpkin seeds
1 C sunflower seeds
1 big bottle of tamari
Honey
Pour tamari and honey to taste in a big bowl. Whisk together. Add nuts and seeds. Soak 5-8 hours. Add a little water if necessary. Put in dehydrator on 95˚F until dry. Usually a day or two. Keep in a zip top bag in the fridge. Great snack on the go.

Smoothies
Raw goat kefir
Raw honey
Blueberries
Strawberries or peaches
Flax & borage oil
Ground flax seeds
Put in blender and enjoy. Great frozen too.

I'll keep it at that. There's a few recipes to get you going!
Enjoy. We are gluten free at our house and we only do raw dairy - mostly goat.
Victoria

velcromom 02-02-2008 04:13 PM

Here is a great site with lots of GF/CF (gluten free, casein free) tips - this page is about how to convert your recipes to gfcf. They offer a menu mailer subscription that gives you a week's worth of gfcf menus and shopping lists with task schedule.

http://cookingtf.com/convert.html

mybabylove99 02-03-2008 08:27 PM

Wow. These are great recipes and ideas. Thanks so much! The Natural Butter Cake from Victoria looks awesome. I have used the rice milk and almond milk, but can't use any soy since it seems to cause issues with baby too. Thanks for the website too. Very cool.