Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help! Our son is not sleeping..... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32612)

SarahJane 08-19-2006 09:05 AM

Help! Our son is not sleeping.....

He is cutting his eye teeth, all four poor thing. He just cut all four molars two weeks ago. Normally we can get him to go back to sleep with a bottle and rocking. For at least the last week, he's been up all night long, every 2 to 3 hours at the longest. I know it's not his ears because he was just at the doctor for a physical. I know the bottles are a bad idea, but we're desperate. Anything help? He looks miserable. Motrim doesn't seem to even touch the pain. He's holds his mouth like it hurts and is biting everything....

Julesmom23girls 08-19-2006 02:05 PM

Re: Help! Our son is not sleeping.....

I don't know how old he is but I will assume over one since my DD just went through this. Someone suggested to me to freeze a slice of apple and let her chew on it, the cold will be soothing. Also Hyland teething tabs are really good. Motrin didn't help us much either, hylands was pretty good, helped more with other teeth not as much with these. Hope that helps and I hope it passes quickly.

SarahJane 08-19-2006 03:02 PM

Thank you! He's sixteen months old tomorrow. I'll try the apple slice. He doesn't like teethers, but I bet a food item would feel good. I'll have to try the tablets again. We had them earlier with his first teeth. I'm just hoping they break through soon. Glad your daughter has it all behind her.....

Julesmom23girls 08-19-2006 03:22 PM

Just thought because you said you give him a bottle at night, have you thought about trying a bottle of ice water instead. That way it is cold on his mouth and not so bad on his teeth, KWIM. Just a thought.

bobandjess99 08-19-2006 04:32 PM

Poor baby!
Honestly, my daughter was p every hour when she cut those teeth...it is hard, but the bright side it likely won't last too long.
We used the teething tablets, and also some stronger plain chamomilia, like 30C potency......
Really helps!!!!

SarahJane 08-19-2006 05:14 PM

I'm not familar with camamile tablets. I'm assuming it's from a health food store. I'll have to check out whole foods.

Funny the Mama above mentions ice water. We were doing that a few weeks ago. I think I'll try it again. I know feeding him is not the answer and will only cause other problems once the teeth are through. We just get so desperate night after night not sleeping.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jaci_hutton 08-19-2006 06:04 PM

my son is going through this too!!! what I have been doing in freezing a wash cloth and then giving it to him with an ice cube in it. that way he get water but its still cold enough to numb his gums .. (its not a big ice cube, I crush them so that if he does get it out of the wash cloth it is to small for him to choke on it) .. good luck mama!! and big :hugs:

SarahJane 08-20-2006 07:54 AM

Thank you Mamas! I'll try the wash cloth today. Poor thing had another terrible night. He's also been waking super early in the am. My dh took am duty this morning because I was so grumpy yesterday. I had to laugh when i came downstairs, his GAD pocket was on backwards!! Now that takes some work, the wing flaps are hidden, who know how he got them snapped behind his butt.... Too funny! :giggle:

Anyway, those teeth looks so close to his gums. I hoping today we see white in at least one of them. We are at day 13 of absolutely no sleep. We did use icewater last night which he likes just as well as the milk, so at least I'm not getting him used to food at 1,3,4,5 you get the picture.

MommyKatlin 08-20-2006 10:25 AM

Just as a warning... i read that if you give little ones teethers ( washcloths, bagels, apples etc ) right out of the freezer it could damage tender gums and be too cold. I would try freezing them first to get the hard, then maybe setting them out for a while to take the frost bite out of them...

asandwick 08-20-2006 10:44 AM

My ds is also cutting his eye teeth and I have been up with him4-6x's a night!
I tried the teething tablets, tylenol.....nothing helped...for long!
Then, I tried GRIPE WATER. It worked!!! You can get it at some smaller pharmacies and most health food/vitamin stores.
This stuff works miracles!
I have used it for belly aches, gas, ect. for a while now but I didn't realize it worked for teething as well.
It has ginger and fennel in it ~ You can use it for adults as well
You might want to try it!