Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Help!! DS cries when I put him on potty (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326196)

almccagh 02-01-2008 10:37 AM

Help!! DS cries when I put him on potty

I have just starting trying to EC my 5 month old DS and we've been having some success with just holding him over the regular toilet. I ordered a BBLP and it came in the mail yesterday and when I put DS on it he just starts wailing. :banghead: Does anyone else's LO do this? I see all these pics of babies happily sitting on the potty so I'm not sure what the problem is. Do you think its just that he doesn't like the hard plastic? HELP!!!

akrancher 02-01-2008 11:26 AM

Re: Help!! DS cries when I put him on potty

We have been at it about a month now and DS sometimes cries/whimpers a little. It seems like it is when I pull him away from something he is really into, when he has just woken from a nap and gets stripped down on the bottom, or if he doesn't have to go.

I have the fleece cover for the BBLP and I like it. It doesn't leave such dark red marks on DS hiney and is very soft. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.:goodvibes:

melirod 02-01-2008 12:20 PM

The potty might be cold, maybe he just needs to get used to the BBLP, maybe he just prefers "in arms", or maybe he doesn't need to go. You could try a cozy on the potty, having a few "special" potty toys that he can play with only when on the potty. When DS would refuse the potty, I would give him a magazine to rip up. For some reason, that is WAY fun for him. I also tried putting the potty on the edge of my bed. I would squat beside the bed while holding him that way we could see eye to eye. I would sing or make silly faces or whatever just to entertain him while he sat.

almccagh 02-01-2008 12:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered one of the fleece covers for his potty so hopefully that will help. I'll try giving him some magazines to rip up - that sounds right up his alley :giggle:

Blurberrybuzz 02-01-2008 12:37 PM

My youngest would do the same thing. I can finally perch him on the potty and he's happy, but he's almost 8 mo now. I put EC off for several months because he cried so much over every hold, sitting on the potty, everything. Glad I"m not alone.
Finally he's happy to sit on the potty, and we're catching some pees here and there.

SaraBear 02-03-2008 01:31 PM

where do you order the fleece cover for the bblp?

almccagh 02-03-2008 02:46 PM

I got the fleece cover from the EC store
Here's the link:
http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?...x&cPath=26_181

sdevonh 02-06-2008 06:19 PM

I started EC with Devon when she was four months old. We used the big potty with an insert for several months. I don't think she really grew to like the BB potty (we have the BB big potty) until she was about nine or ten months old. She would cry sometimes, even when I put her on the potty with the insert. We spent a lot of time reading books (which was hard to do without dropping her in :giggle: ) and singing songs. If she could not calm down after a minute, I would take her off and try again another time. There's plenty of time for your LO to get used to the potty, and you don't want your baby to start thinking of it negatively. I also found that putting the potty in her play area and having a basket of books and toys that we only used during potty time really helped. But I'm sure that someone mentioned that already. Try your best to stay patient and make these times fun. I'm sure you're doing a super job! :hugs:

goofycutemom 02-06-2008 06:27 PM

:bighug: keep up the good work mamma - patience will reap the rewards :giggle: - it sounds like it is just something new for him but just like pp have said sometimes tori cries if she doesnt have to go and doesnt want to be there - especially when she is tired - you may want to reintroduce it tommorrow when he first wakes up maybe you will have better results