Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do you store all your bulk food items? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326861)

mamjo777 02-01-2008 10:09 PM

How do you store all your bulk food items?

We get a lot of our dry ingredients in bulk (powedered milk, flours, sugar, rolled oats, beans, noodles etc). Right now, I just have smaller quantities in gallon ziplocks in the cupboard. Of course, that's a big mess waiting to happen, not to mention it's a pain to keep it all organized that way. But I don't have much $ to spend on the nice containers. What do you all use?

Thanks for your ideas! :goodvibes:

kaylabelle05 02-01-2008 10:28 PM

Re: How do you store all your bulk food items?

Go to the dollar store. I bought a cereal container for $1 (should have bought more) which would be perfect for that. I also bought some "cookie jars" that have a screw on lid.

Or go to a thrift/Goodwill store. I always found stuff like that super cheap and you can usually find some that are in almost new condition. I have found some stuff that wasn't even opened.

jennsmile 02-02-2008 07:41 AM

Some of my bulk are in number 10 cans that I have canned and sealed.

Some people use large 5 gallon buckets and lids. Think icing buckets from the bakery, sometimes they will give them for free.

Jenn

Blurberrybuzz 02-02-2008 03:21 PM

I use mostly glass. I have tons of canning jars, you can usually find them for cheap or free at garage sales. I also have some nice glass containers with lids that have a seal. I want an earthenware jar for my flour. Right now that's in a plastic container, but that's it. Everything else is glass jars and such. Check out garage sales and restaurant outlets. You can often find nice stuff for not so much there.
I buy rice, beans, tons of grains, noodles, oats, spelt flour, raw sugar, brown rice syrup - just about all our food staples, in bulk.

asianmama 02-02-2008 04:28 PM

i grew up in a house where all kinds of bulk foods were stored in tofu containers(5-7 gallon plastic bins from the factory), large pickle buckets and soy sauce buckets from resturants.

LaniMami 02-02-2008 05:40 PM

Gonna have to second the dollar store, I get my containers there. They are clear plastic with a screw on lid, come in two sizes and are made in the USA. I can store a 5lb bag of flour in one of the large containers, they are great!

angelnavywife 02-02-2008 06:56 PM

I have mason jars for rice, beans and pastas, dried fruit etc. I have them in all sizes, but the ones I use most are BIG like half gallon at least.

ivparker 02-02-2008 07:29 PM

I use some of the canisters that came with other things I bought in bulk like a big container of pretzels. I then use the pretzel container to store rice that came in a bag.

DivineNature 02-02-2008 08:12 PM

I have a mix of containers.

Tupperware modular mates (my old guilty pleasure)

Glass canning jars (many from garage sales for about 10 cents each)

#10 cans (sealed it into the cans like pp)

icing buckets (free from grocers bakery)

Anchor Hocking glass jars with plastic lids (found at thrift)

Glass "cracker" jars with metal lids (WM and Target carry them)

mamjo777 02-08-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 (Post 2674867)
Go to the dollar store. I bought a cereal container for $1 (should have bought more) which would be perfect for that. I also bought some "cookie jars" that have a screw on lid.

Or go to a thrift/Goodwill store. I always found stuff like that super cheap and you can usually find some that are in almost new condition. I have found some stuff that wasn't even opened.

That's a really good idea! I have to go the dollar store tomorrow anyway, so I'll take a look then! Thanks!