Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Anyone do EC when out? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327264)

MUHAJABAH 02-02-2008 01:11 PM

Anyone do EC when out?

We have been doing EC (we call it bathrooming :giggle:) since 2 months but never out. I couldn't imagine how that would work! I heard of people potting in the car but I don't quite get how that works either! Id love to know!

*SweetPea83* 02-02-2008 03:08 PM

Re: Anyone do EC when out?

We potty when out:thumbsup: We have a van..... bench seat with stow n'go so we have plenty of room to store and potty! I don't quite see how I would do it any other way as far as room. If you have a car, maybe put potty on the front passenger seat, or in your lap and let them sit. When we are shopping we just hold baby over the toilet if need be. We potty upon arriving and before leaving..... within reason! LOL
HTH Carrie

Blurberrybuzz 02-02-2008 04:26 PM

We've ec'd when out. I had a honda civic with the first two and would put the potty on the passenger seat in the winter, in the truck in the summer and let them go. I used the trunk as a baby care station! I have a bblp and made a case for it and carried it everywhere. I was berated on more than one occasion for peeing the baby in the sink.
Now I have a van and we can pee just about anywhere inside it, lots of room. I also used to carry a plastic cup with a lid and would pee my son in the cup. easier than the bblp. I've even used an empty water bottle with the boys...lol
We've peed on road trips many times on the side of the freeway. We've peed many times in the back of parking lots in the city and at the base of countless trees in countless city parks. IF dogs do it, why can't babies?

Cassiopeia 02-02-2008 05:03 PM

I have a little boy, so it is probably a bit easier for us to EC while out :giggle: , but he will go just about anywhere - on the side of the road, over a potty, etc.

I let him go outside the car in a parking lot a few times until he decided that he was going to make a larger and more spectacular deposit one day (he is ebf'd). I figured that I probably should at least find a bush or a patch of grass from now on :blush: .

cdmd1023 02-02-2008 05:15 PM

Im not sure i know what your talking about? can someone explian?

pixiepunk 02-02-2008 07:13 PM

can your LO sit on the potty alone? if so, keeping a little potty in the car works great. we have a hatchback and just stick the kids on the potty in the hatchback. in fact, even though both kids have long since PL'd, we still keep a little potty in the back in case of emergencies. it's handy to have. if you don't want to deal with dumping the pee someplace, you can stick a prefold or a microfiber towel inside the potty to absorb the pee, and then just put that in the diaper bag.

i also have a foldable reducer that i used to carry around a lot for once the kids were at the age where they could let me know they needed to go and were able to hold it a couple minutes while we found a bathroom. that way they always sat on a clean seat that they were familiar with.

cdmd1023 02-02-2008 07:18 PM

potty training an infant? interesting.

Blurberrybuzz 02-03-2008 03:21 AM

except it's not really potty training an infant. It's more catching their cues that they have to go and using an alternate place for elimination than a diaper. For most nursing mom's it's easy to tell when the baby wants to nurse. For moms who EC, we can tell when the baby has to go. We perch them over a potty or sink or diaper and let it happen. It's a practice that's widely used in India, Asia, Africa and Central AMerica.

SandraMort 02-03-2008 10:28 AM

I'm really looking forward to being able to EC on the go again with my new little one. When my son was ec'ing out of the house, it made life SO much easier -- public bathrooms in NYC are often set up without changing areas! Also, aiming their hindquarters out of a car door isn't difficult, boy or girl. Just think classic position over the ground instead of a sink or toilet.

MUHAJABAH 02-03-2008 12:27 PM

Wow I'm surprised there are so many mamas who do it when out! You all make it sound so easy! My problem is that I never could get any cues :cry:and so I always just put him on every so often, after nursing, waking up etc. He is 16m now (so yeah he can sit up! :)) and he still doesn't let me know. Poops have always been easier for inside. But also its SO super cold, even if I had a potty in the car (I did try that once and he wasn't used to it and didn't pee) there is no room, plus Id have to take his snowsuit off and clothes. So do the little guys go out with no diapers on? It seems like if I went out Id just be spending half the time finding somewhere to pee! We do dipes inside and clothes too because its cold. I wish I had some babylegs that would make my life SO much easier, I cant stand changing all the time!
Thanks for the help guys!