Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Am I expecting too much? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32760)

daisyprincess98 08-19-2006 08:56 PM

Am I expecting too much?

DD is almost 8 weeks old. She is bottle-fed (although that was not my first choice), and healthy by all definitions of the word. My problem is that she wonít fall asleep unless she is being held! (She slept for 5 hours STRAIGHT at 1 month old because she was held the WHOLE time by adoring family members) And once she does fall asleep, if I put her down, 50% of the time she wakes up again. For example, this all happened in the last 45 minutes: she ate, fell asleep eating, I put her down, she woke up, ate again, fell asleep again, was put down again, woke up again, ate, fell asleep, woke up, was put in the swing, and fell asleep there. Iím frustrated because I canít seem to ever put her down. When she is sleeping is when I want to get stuff done and I canít because she wants me. Help, mamas! Am I expecting too much?

Jillybean 08-19-2006 09:03 PM

Re: Am I expecting too much?

Sounds pretty normal to me. Every baby is different and they are constantly changing so what is routine this week may be totally different the next. Have you tried wearing her, thats what I would do. Sorry if that doesn't help much, just my :2cents: .

aimeemarie 08-19-2006 09:03 PM

Yes, you are, but don't worry I was the same way at that age! Do you have a wrap or a sling? I wish, wish, wish I'd known about them when mine was tiny. Would have helped so much. I ended up taking a lot of naps (which was probably good) because she slept best on my chest. Also, The Miracle Blanket was a God-send for us, and that age was about right when we got it! HTH Mama! I'd put her to sleep while she was swaddled and she didn't usually wake up because there was no startle reflex to wake her up.

jaci_hutton 08-19-2006 09:06 PM

I would also suggest a sling or something to wear her in. the pp suggested swaddling .. that is what I was gonna suggest also. Babies can feel themselves being put down so they automatically get startled and wake up. another thing if you dont want to swaddle is to make sure she is fully asleep before putting her down. to do this you lift up one of her arms and if it falls shes asleep and then you would *probably* be safe putting her down. hth mama!! and big :hugs: to you!!! It can be VERY frustrating at times but just know you arent alone!!! :hugs:

Samantha 08-19-2006 09:13 PM

I was going to ask if you were swaddling her. If you werent I would suggest it.

I dont think sleeping 5hrs straight at that age is realistic in most cases. The longest I would expect a baby that age would be about 1-2 hrs.

As far as only sleeping in your arms....I know all babies are different blah blah blah (yes, I have a very needy DD!!) but, I think to a point....they will get away with what you let them get away with. DD was the kind of baby who always wanted to be held....cuddled...ETC...but, when it came to sleeping I was a no budge kinda mama. My DS is almost 4 and we have had a lot of sleeping issues with him....So, I didnt want to repeat that with DD....Yes I had my times where DD would sleep in the swing or bouncy seat all night...but she WASNT in my bed or in my arms. But ya know...we dont have ANY sleep issues with her...where DS is full of them.

sheandaru 08-21-2006 12:35 PM

I wore ds for the first two months during just about every nap. Only a few weeks ago did he start sleeping without me holding him. Some babies need to be worn for even longer.

Your baby is still tiny & needs you--being with you, smelling you, hearing your heartbeat--it's all your dc knows!

Get a sling or a wrap, head over to thebabywearer.com & join the club. :)

Leininger27 08-21-2006 12:51 PM

My ds was the exact same way! He is now 3 months old and he still wants to be held all the time. I am pretty sure he knows the difference between night and day because he will sleep all night long in his bassinet or with me and dh, but during the day it is a whole different story.

I finally decided to get a pouch sling. I recommend a hotsling or a luck baby sling. I just got a lucky baby sling the other day and love it and so does DS. He now sleeps in it all the time and I can still get things done!

Swaddling may also help, but my ds hates to be swaddled.

www.hotslings.com
www.lucky-baby.com

sunshinebabies3 08-21-2006 03:36 PM

I have to recommend swaddling as well. Also--I probably have a different pespective than others here as I have triplets, and well--baby wearing 3 babies wasnt an option. Also--not my thing, which is ok too.

I began at 3 months trying to teach my babes to go to sleep in the crib. I would put them in a sleep sack, turn on the sound machine, give pacis and leave the room. I would go back in and pat them and my goal was for them to get 30 mins asleep in there. I just wanted them to learn to go to sleep on their own. I didnt do the CIO thing...again, not my style, but my babies did cry a little. I would love on them but not pick them up. Very shortly they began falling asleep on their own. NOw they are great sleepers. they love their cribs and do not view them as jails or anything. I encourage you to be flexible though. In my opinion babies rebel against super rigid schedules. You can help them learn to fall alseep without making them feel abandoned.

Also--my babes slept 2 naps a day in cradle swings until 1 month ago. if you dont have a side to side swing, get one. these are life savers. you obviously dont want baby in it all day, but it is great for naps. HTH:goodvibes: