Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Question about ECing a boy... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327683)

Irishmommy 02-02-2008 09:11 PM

Question about ECing a boy...

Well, I EC'd dd part time. We never really made anything serious of it, but I can tell now that she is of pling age in the traditional sense that it has made a world of difference in how she goes potty and how she has a real sense of what the potty is for. I would like to EC this next baby part time as well, but I'm not really sure how different it will be with a boy. I SO wish I had EC'd my older ds, who still has the occassional accident (AT 6.5), so I want to introduce the concept early to my next ds, but I'm just not sure of all the "boy" logistics. Can someone help me out? I already have a potty bowl, and plan on getting a bblp. I just held dd over the potty, but I'm not sure what to do if I have to make sure something is tucked in, lol. Does that make any sense?:blush:

hollissmama 02-02-2008 09:26 PM

Re: Question about ECing a boy...

I was also worried about that same thing before my ds was born, but once we actually did it, it was easy. ;P We bought a BBLP and it worked perfectly, the splash guard works well. We would just gently guide his wee into the potty. Now we are using a potty seat reducer at 8 months and he fits in the hole perfect with nothing sticking out to spray... So no worries. Just beware of night time ecing splashes! hehe

Blurberrybuzz 02-03-2008 03:17 AM

A small plastic cup is great for a boy too. It's easy to get all the equipment into the cup and just hold him on your lap. Doesn't work for poos though. To pee him over anything, just make sure it's pointed down. For an intact boy, watch out for the foreskin that may be pointed a bit to the side even when the penis is pointed down. You may have to make a quick adjustment before going to it. That's why I liked the cup. Full coverage...lol

Irishmommy 02-03-2008 07:23 AM

Thanks mammas. I felt sort of silly posting my questions about it, but I figured I better ask now before I have to rely on trial and error.

We probably won't be venturing into the world of night time. It was a real disaster with dd. She did NOT want to be bothered out of her comfy bed (we co-slept) and I ended up getting LESS sleep, and that is just NOT an option for me. Now I have even more responsibilities during the day with homeschooling my older son, so I probably will just stick to EC during the day. I just hope this baby's cues are as good as my dd's were!

gracefaith 02-03-2008 09:42 AM

One thing to watch out for with splash guard though - they splash. DS has relieved some really FULL bladders lately and the pee just hits the splash guard and a fine pee mist shoots everywhere.

SandraMort 02-03-2008 10:16 AM

My plans were daytime only with my son, but once he got the hang of daytime, he made it very clear that he expected to be taken at night also. So, this time I'm following her lead. She wants to sleep at night, that's great with me. But once she asks to potty at night, which I'm sure will happen, I'll be ready for that, too.

I've been told that the potty bowl doesn't work so well for boys, so I didn't get one for him. When he was little, I used a fluorescent colored plastic juice cup for a "urinal" and a prefold under his butt. Later on, I used everything else under the sun ;)

This time i have a girl, I can't wait to get my potty bowl to try it out!

Irishmommy 02-03-2008 11:49 AM

So, are you saying I should get rid of my potty bowl and just get the bblp?

kthiday 02-03-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracefaith (Post 2684992)
One thing to watch out for with splash guard though - they splash. DS has relieved some really FULL bladders lately and the pee just hits the splash guard and a fine pee mist shoots everywhere.

LOL- we had the same issue, and actually my DH suggested that we just put DS on the potty w/o the reducer if we knew all he was going to do was poop (DS is a morning pooper, like clockwork, so that made it easier). We'd just scoot him all the way back so that his but was resting where our usually does, and since they are way small for a regular toilet, there was no spraying. Made it very easy to potty in public restrooms too. Then we used the reducer for when he was going to poop.