Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I wanted to PLUG my ears!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32793)

nothing_butt_cloth 08-19-2006 09:40 PM

I wanted to PLUG my ears!!!

I was just at a party tonight, for no reason, just get togehter type of thing. One mom i go to church with, brought her tiny 4 week baby. She started gettingadvice from another mom, who was talking about some book called baby wise. and another like, 12hours in 12 weeks. Pretty much total CIO mama. I was sooo sad, she wastelling this mom, she shouldstart now with schedluing the baby with eating and sleeping. Now this baby is 4 weeks, is not gainingwt, and sleeps all the time. The last thing mom needs to to do in my opinion is schedule her feedings.
I didnt even know how to react. I mean, afterall i dont let my 2 1.2 YEAR old baby CIO. ( well OK for naps if she is super grumpy, BUT never for night time)

Soon everyone was chiminng on on how to get your newborn to sleep, and how to let the CIO. I felt like i was in an odd place. I wish the party had some of my AP mamas there!!!

presleycaedmon 08-19-2006 09:50 PM

Re: I wanted to PLUG my ears!!!

Yuck!
It's people like that who lead me to make all sorts of stupid decisions with my first DC that went directly AGAINST what my natural instincts were! :banghead:

Grrr, I so want to get on my soap box about this but I need to go nurse my daughter to sleep, in our family bed! :giggle:

9800Emily 08-19-2006 09:55 PM

:hugs: I know how you feel. DH and I didn't have many friends after getting married at 21, and now the few that we did have we do not see anymore for this reason. I feel completely out of place in groups of parents like that, and it makes me want to :cry: for there little ones. I know that each mom must decide what is right for there baby but it seems like they only look for the easy way. 4 weeks is just to young. I think baby wise is the book that the AAP has a warning about causing failure to thrive infants. Even pediatricians agree that 6 months is the minimum age for CIO and that babys should be feed on demand up till that point. Ok, I'll stop rambling. I just think it is sad more people do not practice AP parenting just because it isn't "normal".

stephdpn 08-19-2006 09:56 PM

aack - I hate when that happens...I was at a baby shower last night for a good friend and another "friend" of mine told me I needed to wean DS...HELLO!!!!!!! She didn't even TRY to BF - said it creeped her out...WTH is she doing giving ME weaning advice???? :banghead: I just looked at her like she had 32 heads and said "I AM NOT WEANING HIM!" Some people! I've told people what I think of Babywise before and they act like I am the Evil One...we don't CIO either, and my kids both go to sleep on their own in their own beds (they are too wiggly to co-sleep anymore)...and the looks I get when I say I cloth diaper...LOL, oh well!

presleycaedmon 08-19-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdpn
aack - I hate when that happens...I was at a baby shower last night for a good friend and another "friend" of mine told me I needed to wean DS...HELLO!!!!!!! She didn't even TRY to BF - said it creeped her out...WTH is she doing giving ME weaning advice???? :banghead: I just looked at her like she had 32 heads and said "I AM NOT WEANING HIM!"

People have started asking me if I've started to wean my DD...she's 4.5 months old!!!!!!!
Apparently in West Texas most people BF for 3 months and "extended bf'ers" bf for 6 months. WTH is that all about?!?! Even AAP recommends BFing for the first 12 months! GEEZ!

anne_josh 08-19-2006 10:31 PM

note to self: do not attempt to nurse 2 year old in west texas..

presleycaedmon 08-19-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne_josh
note to self: do not attempt to nurse 2 year old in west texas..

LOL for real sista!

I can't WAIT to see the looks we get when we're still nursing as DD gets older...and older...and older! :laugh:

LuAnn 08-19-2006 11:16 PM

Wow, NOT nice, I would have blew up...that poor poor baby...even if I would let ds cio, I would NEVER sleep, because he would cry and cry forever and NOT go to sleep, hes cried a few times when I HAD to do something else and dh or my mom had him and cried until the min I took him and he was OUT.....heck at 15months we still have cuddle time for him to go to sleep:thumbsup: I REALLY hope that the mom does NOT let a 4 week old CIO:(

MamaMegan 08-19-2006 11:16 PM

I had the same feelings tonight, but was on the phone with a friend of mine. I'm still stewing over the conversation........ Hmmmm, my 2.5 year old still gets rocked to sleep and has never CIO... and he's welcome to join me in the bed..... what makes her think I'm going to let my 4 month old daughter cry it out because she "needs to get used to it.... she's taking advantage of your feeling bad or her."

Grrr. I do feel bad that she's sick and miserable.... wouldn't that make you more likely to respond to your child???

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 08-20-2006 12:05 AM

i wouldntve been able to keep my mouth closed as i heard crazy woman brainwashing a new mom. will you see that mom again, if so, ask her if she would liek to have lunch or something and get her alone and show her the ap -loving way:thumbsup: