Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   MOPS? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33103)

sunshinemama 08-21-2006 06:27 AM

MOPS?

I saw there are sign ups locally this week. Anyone a member? How do you like it? What kinds of things do they do? Is there a fee? I think there is. I've thought about joining but want to get more info first.

Thanks

Rhianna'sMommy 08-21-2006 06:30 AM

Re: MOPS?

A new chapter is starting at my church too. I've been wondering the same things. I'm not sure I'll go though because I don't think dd would sit in a nursery for 2 hours - we just (this week) finally got her to stay in there for almost an hour during church. Two hours is pushing it. I've thought about giving it a try though, just not sure what it is like.

I'll be watching this thread to see what other people think of MOPS.

GrowingUpMad 08-21-2006 06:35 AM

I loved my MOPS group!! It was twice a month and I believe it's $20 per year membership. Our group also asks for a $2 donation each week for supplies and goodies. The kids can go upstairs intot he nursery while MOPS is going on and my dd loved it (of course she's 3). The babies can too but you can also bring them to group with you (toddlers are a bit more active so they ask that you don't). Each week we have a speaker (various topics), a project (fun, fun,fun!!), and some goodies (sign up for treats but there are always a ton!!). It's nice to get to talk to other mamas there but I stopped going because of a crazy physco ex friend, I may return this fall ~ we'll see.

Manna00 08-21-2006 06:43 AM

Ummm... what does MOPS stand for? I've never heard of it!

GrowingUpMad 08-21-2006 06:48 AM

Moms of Preschoolers (meaning before school age). Generally 6 weeks - 6 years of age.

Watercolor Ponies 08-21-2006 06:58 AM

Well, in some areas it costs more than $20. $20 is the national dues fees, but for instance in my area, I pay the $20, plus $75 for fall session and $75 for spring session. Sounds like a lot, but our group does a TON of stuff during the year, and most of that $ goes to the babysitters anyways. They each get paid $25 per session, and we have 2 sessions a month. It is tough finding responsible people who are availible during the day willing to take care of a bunch of preschoolers! So we pay them. It is worth it to me though. My little bi-weekly "vacation"! It is so nice to have a bunch of adults who are in the same boat to commiserate with and encourage and be encouraged by. You should do it. Plus dc gets to meet new friends, and you have the chance to start up little playgroups with his/her friends there.

Zan 08-21-2006 08:53 AM

I'm in the process of signing up at my church- I'm a first time SAHM/WAHM and I'm really looking forward to meeting other moms in my community. Our fees are $30 classic membership w/out childcare and $65 classic membership with childcare. The membership fees include the MOPS international fee, speaker fees & craft supplies. These are for the Fall membership - Sept through Dec. I'm not sure about Spring or Summer (I don't think our church does Summer)

My DD is now 15 weeks and I figured there would be no way I could find someone to do babysitting for 1 1/2-2 hours just 2nd and 4th Tuedsays, plus the childcare is on-site so I wouldn't feel so worried. When I got the registsration forms the ladies told me that I can always bring my DD into the sessions too if she's needing to be w/mama. That makes me feel good since DD has reflux and needs constant attention. But I'm also worried because I want to have a little break from her too. We'll see how it goes.

It would be fun to have a follow/up here on DS after the topics. I understand that they go through a book and I think it's the same one nationally.

GrowingUpMad 08-21-2006 09:00 AM

Wow I guess ours are really cheap then. Our "baby sitters" all work at the church on a volunteer basis and are all grandmas (and one grandpa). She always had the same "grandmas" in her room so that was nice and she liked it. We did buy all the snacks and drinks as well as got the sitters goodies at Christmas and the end of the year.

Zan 08-21-2006 09:07 AM

Yeah, childcare in the Mpls/St Paul area is one of the highest in the nation...it's really expensive. The childcare licensing requirements are high along with lower ratios making it expensive in general.

But I figure it's cheap at 7 sessions of 2 hrs 15 mins ...that's about $2.50/hr and there's NO WAY I could find someone to take care of a 3 1/2 month old during morning hours 2 times a month and that's reliable for that cheap.

erthangel 08-21-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinemama
I saw there are sign ups locally this week. Anyone a member? How do you like it? What kinds of things do they do? Is there a fee? I think there is. I've thought about joining but want to get more info first.

Thanks

I absolutely LOVE MOPS, this is my 3rd year in MOPS.. I am on the steering (leadership) team this year...

Ours is $20 nat. fee to be a member, and $6/meeting.... We are 1/2 and 1/2 with paid and unpaid workers.. We are trying to move to unpaid volunteers... Because it just eats our budget up... The group is recently at this church in the past few years..

It's a wonderful program... I have met ALL my friends there! And it's great to have the kids just down the hall... My kids normally don't NEED me, but once last year the same day they both did and they came and got me.. That made me feel good that if they need me I am close..

You can join MOPS even when you are pregnant... It's for MOMs... I only regret not starting when I had my son (it was the middle of the year and I felt awkward but I really should have!).. They let you bring the baby in with you the entire meeting until like 3-4 months I think...

We do SOOO many outside activities it's awesome!! Once a month we have a Moms night out, every other month we add in a Moms and Pops date night and we have a big Christmas dinner and Valentine's dinner.. It's important as Moms we get refreshed! And it's wonderful.. 2 mornings a month to get out and just be YOU... :)

ETA: Ours is, 9-11:30, we come in and have FOOD yuM! Then we have a devotion, prayer... THen a mentor Mom usually talks about the book.. This year is "What Every Mom Needs" them is Fresh Air... Then we have craft time or a speaker about various topics--parenting, landscaping, child saftey, food, cake decorating, flower arranging, etc..... Then we have discussion group where we go in depth about the topic and enjoy being a "small" group. :)

HTHs!