Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Newbie wanting to get started (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332511)

bonniec_tn 02-08-2008 06:00 AM

Newbie wanting to get started

Hey Girls
I am a newbie to EC and to be honest with you I didn't even know it was possible until a while back when I stumbled upon someone here on DS talking about it. Well, long story short, I have a 5 month old and I would like to start EC with him,,,is it too late?? how do i get started?? It just seems so overwhelming!!
Thanks In Advance!
Bonnie

lovinclothmama 02-08-2008 06:51 AM

Re: Newbie wanting to get started

Hes a great age to start!
Start small like when he first wakes up let him pee in the toilet or sink. Those first waking pees are the easiest to catch.
Try if you can to give him either a diaper free or cover free day ALL day and see if you notice any patterns (such as he may pee 20 minutes after a feeding) or signals he makes (alot of boys pull at themselves or my daughter use to squirm and fuss then get very still right before when she was 5 months).
Try not to stress. There WILL be misses. Its not about how many you can catch or miss its about building a bond with your baby that will last a lifetime.

bonniec_tn 02-08-2008 08:29 AM

i know already that he is a creature of habit. He usually has a HUGE BM about 30 min after he wakes up and then another in the late afternoon. It is pretty easy for me to know when he poopies but i guess i just need to watch for signals that he needs to go pee. are there any books out there that are worth giving my time to reading? Should i get one of those cute little potties? or just use a bowl?
sorry for so many questions,, i just find this all fascinating.
thanks!

SaraBear 02-08-2008 11:12 AM

The Diaper Free Baby by Christine Gross-loh is the book we got, and I think it lays everything out really well. like PP said, its about learning to communicate with your LO. As far as what your LO potties in is up to you. I got the Baby Bjorn LIttle Potty, and we really like it. I like to have one place to go potty, I need that habit. I also like that I can sit in front of her instead of holding her on the big potty. You can hold your LO over the potty, tub, sink, or a bowl. its what you are comfortable with.
Good Luck!!

lovinclothmama 02-08-2008 11:44 AM

Like PP said Diaper Free Baby is a great book! It gives you tips and really helps mamas who might stress over it relax.
I just put her on the toilet and have since she was 4 months. She never liked to be held really so I had to get a seat and try and support her while she sat there lol now she is big enough she fits fine and sits by herself but she has always refused to go in a bowl or sink or tub. Its up to your comfort and your baby. I have heard potties are a huge help but I haven't tried one yet :)

bonniec_tn 02-08-2008 03:03 PM

thank you all so much!
I am definately going to get that book!
Im excited now:giggle: :giggle:

youmb00 02-08-2008 06:11 PM

I think having a cute potty definitely helps! I got my BBLP when I started, thinking if it doesn't work out, she can use it later.
Good luck! and just take it easy and start slow.

Zanne 02-09-2008 01:19 AM

I started ECing with the Baby Bjorn Little Poppy when Owen was about 4-5 months old, and it worked great. He could sit up by that time, and it made catching the poops a lot easy than a regular bowl. He's about 18 months old now and regularly goes on the potty when he has to pee (as long as his pants are off) - we're still working on when we're out and about... Anyway, have fun with it! It's amazing how much you can understand when you really start paying attention to their cues.