Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Castor oil vs. prune juice???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33268)

Heatherdoodle 08-21-2006 03:23 PM

Castor oil vs. prune juice????

Was just wondering if there is a diffrence between the 2 other than the obvious. They say to take castor oil to induce labor becasue it causes you to go poopy and that makes your intestines contract which makes your uterus contract, well would prune juice do the same thing???? i am just curious if anyone has any ideas about this.

rpg_mommy 08-21-2006 04:02 PM

Re: Castor oil vs. prune juice????

I know a lot of women swear by castor oil for induction, but medically, it isn't recomended for pregnant or nursing women. Labor is uncomfortable enough without having diarrhea and vomiting, which castor oil causes. I also think (JMHO) that babies should be allowed to bake till they are done - some babies take longer to develop than others and if you induce labor even a week or two before they are ready to come, they can have lots of lung problems. I remember how uncomfortable those last few weeks of pregnancy are, but it's over before you know it! Babies know when they are ready to be born - don't rush em!

As far as the difference between the two - castor oil actually causes your intestines to cramp, whereas prune juice (really just the fiber it contains) helps your intestines flow more regularly, so I don't think they'd work the same way.

Bare Bottom Gear 08-21-2006 04:09 PM

No to both.

Papaya juice to induce. Get a 32 oz'er from the natural foods section/store and drink up if you want to induce. Will make you poo if you're a person who poo's after eating a lot of fruits/drinks a lot of fruit juice. LMBO!!! TMI!!

pinkflamingos77 08-21-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
I know a lot of women swear by castor oil for induction, but medically, it isn't recomended for pregnant or nursing women. Labor is uncomfortable enough without having diarrhea and vomiting, which castor oil causes. I also think (JMHO) that babies should be allowed to bake till they are done - some babies take longer to develop than others and if you induce labor even a week or two before they are ready to come, they can have lots of lung problems. I remember how uncomfortable those last few weeks of pregnancy are, but it's over before you know it! Babies know when they are ready to be born - don't rush em!

As far as the difference between the two - castor oil actually causes your intestines to cramp, whereas prune juice (really just the fiber it contains) helps your intestines flow more regularly, so I don't think they'd work the same way.

HUGE ditto!!!!!

Heatherdoodle 08-21-2006 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replys, I was really just curious about it, I do not want to induce it is just a discussion alot of the other preggos i know had had and I was wondering. I know my little bean will come when she is good and ready.