Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   ECing a newborn (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333065)

ocanfield 02-08-2008 03:17 PM

ECing a newborn

So, my little boy is here! I had every intention of ECing him from the get go...but am now a little nervous. I do have an idea when he is about to go and have a feeling I'll be starting soon with him...but after having him circumcised, he hates to be undressed or changed, so it's hard for me to keep up with taking his diaper on and off. He does seem to hold it for a long time instead of little pees and makes an awful screech just before...cause the little guy is in pain (I'm so sorry little one!)

It's cold in my house too, and I don't want to keep him coverless all the time. I have been having him in a prefold without a cover and then putting a blanket over him, but when I think he has to go and I try, he screams because he thinks I'm gonna change him.

I didn't really didn't buy any covers because I thought I'd be doing EC from the start...I was thinking of just getting some lightweight wool interlock covers that I could put on him, maybe even under some of his sleeping sacks....

Any suggestions? I really want to EC...should I just wait until things calm down and I get used to having two little ones? I'm thinking I'll definitely doing it with him in the spring and summer when it's warm...does this make sense?

ocanfield 02-09-2008 07:23 AM

Re: ECing a newborn

no one?

duckieheart 02-09-2008 10:05 PM

I didnt EC a newborn, I wish I could help!

TaivensMama 02-10-2008 01:16 AM

All I did was hold Skye over her potty with her back against my stomach and held under her thighs with my hands, i pushed my hands in and alternating upward motion to stimulate her bowels (her upper thighs would then rub against her lower abdomen) this usually got things going for her...but peeing cues were hard for us to learn, we used warm water to help the peeing sensation happen...I ran warm water from the sink or put it in a spray bottle thing i got to wash my "southern region" after having Skye and would have the warm water go over her belly and legs to give her the nsensation to need to pee...and I would promptly take her potty after waking to catch a pee easier..but she was very vocal about her need to poop...

ocanfield 02-10-2008 09:36 AM

thanks ladies!

gracefaith 02-10-2008 02:22 PM

No advice, but I did want to say not to worry to much if it takes a while to catch on and be comfortable. For the first two months, all my attempts to EC just resulted in an angry bare bottomed baby. Maybe try an after nap pee catch? He might go before he has a chance to cry or get upset about it.

Irishmommy 02-11-2008 07:20 AM

I didn't EC at the newborn stage either, but that hold helped my little girl. I used it up until she wanted to sit on the potty by herself, just because it was easy and cleaner to do in public (little hands didn't touch the potty).

mgl 02-11-2008 09:09 AM

I am new to all of this, but I have been ecing my dd since last week (she is three weeks old now). I hold her under her thighs and she kind of lays against my arm. It amazes me how well she does. It took a few days to pick up on her cues, but she is pretty obvious when she needs to go-she cries and squirms, and she doesn't cry any other time unless she is hungry-so it makes it easier for me. She already doesn't poop at night, but goes several times every morning. We don't ec at night, so she is usually wet when I change her, but she also pees (I put a prefold under her diring changes) before I but the new dipe on her. This is definitely a new experience for me, but it makes so much sense. Good luck.

ocanfield 02-12-2008 05:13 PM

Glad to hear that others didn't start right away, but still have success. I actually caught a pee and poop last night!!! He was still dry after 2 hours, so after nursing on one side, I tried and it worked!!! Baby step forward!

Gloria_Signes 02-12-2008 07:17 PM

I don't have experience with EC'ing a boy. But I EC'd my DD since she was a newborn (now 11 months old, and almost a graduate!). I held her over the potty any time I needed to change her anyway, while we learned to understand each other. She was great at eliminating over the potty immediately. I did, however, have her in diapers full time (just in case!) until she was 2 months old. Since then, I only ever put her in an infant-sized prefold snugged into a diaper belt. Occasionally, I put her in tiny trainers. But they're currently more trouble than they're worth -- and that wasn't your question.

I also held her over the potty during nursing. And I pottied her before and after every nap. (Still do that - and also once before bed and as soon as she wakes in the morning.)

I think the best advice with EC is to take a relaxed approach with your newborn. Get to know each other, and don't pressure yourself (OR HIM!) with high potty expectations. Take it one day at a time, and know that you'll have "on" days and "off" days, and remember that the most important part is the communication, not necessarily the business in the potty. (Although zero poopy diapers when your friends don't believe in EC and are constantly dealing with stinky diaper disposal systems is pretty gratifying.)

Good luck to you! (Rest, relax and enjoy your newborn days!)