Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you entertain? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33333)

Lyric 08-21-2006 05:27 PM

How do you entertain?

My question is how do you entertain your 14 month old? We don't watch T.V really so that is not really an option. We go outside I sit in the floor and play with toys, sing song etc. The reason I am asking this is because I think my 14 month old dd is getting bored.

lindsayncadence 08-22-2006 05:32 AM

Re: How do you entertain?

o gosh when cadence was that age she was into everythign she really likd playing with jumbo pasta shells lol it seems wierd but she loved it....umm go outside and do finderpaint or let dc use sidewalk chalk...umm make homeade paly dough so they can feel the texture.....the kitchen is a fun place to explore!! lol thats all i got right now oooo blow bubbles i dont think at 14 months they can do it but they love trying to catch em!

momof4 08-22-2006 06:07 AM

Try rotating your toys so that some are hidden away for a week or more, then bring them out to replace others -- that will keep interest fresh. Basically, at that age, variety is good -- you can do the same kinds of things, just vary the details -- one day blocks, the next day legos; one day playdough, the next day make cookies, etc. And large motor stuff; push toys, slides, climbing things are popular, as is water play. Some ideas: spread out newspaper and fill a dish basin with rice (easier cleanup than sand if you can spare it), and provide cups for pouring. Or offer a small plastic beaker, like the kind in toy kitchens, and water with a drop of food coloring, along with a tray and a sponge, and teach how to pour and then sponge up, then squeeze sponge and do again. Simple craft projects are good, with stickers on a shape that you cut out. And music to dance to is great! HTH...

Severine 08-22-2006 08:56 AM

I wonder this myself. I work full time outside the home, but when I am home with DD I'm always at a loss. She doesn't seem to want to play with me (and pushes me away when she needs comforting! :( ) but if I leave the room to go 5 ft away to get something to drink or to go to the bathroom, she screams bloody murder. :headscratch: I can't seem to win. I want her to be happy, but I'm at a loss sometimes. Most of the time, we just let her decide what she wants to do and go with the flow. (Within reason, of course... yesterday she wanted to climb on my baskets so she could stand on the TV tray table we use as an end table - that was obviously not acceptable, though she threw a fit every single time I removed her from that situation....)

Lyric 08-22-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof4
Try rotating your toys so that some are hidden away for a week or more, then bring them out to replace others -- that will keep interest fresh. Basically, at that age, variety is good -- you can do the same kinds of things, just vary the details -- one day blocks, the next day legos; one day playdough, the next day make cookies, etc. And large motor stuff; push toys, slides, climbing things are popular, as is water play. Some ideas: spread out newspaper and fill a dish basin with rice (easier cleanup than sand if you can spare it), and provide cups for pouring. Or offer a small plastic beaker, like the kind in toy kitchens, and water with a drop of food coloring, along with a tray and a sponge, and teach how to pour and then sponge up, then squeeze sponge and do again. Simple craft projects are good, with stickers on a shape that you cut out. And music to dance to is great! HTH...

Thanks mama why didn't I think of the rice thing LOL. I used to love to play with rice and things to that nature when I was little. Sometimes the simplest things are the most fun thanks for the ideas. I sometimes think my brain doesn't work anymore.